Guns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 09:49:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Guns
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Guns  (Read 31158 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2004, 06:41:02 AM »

Bowling for Columbine has some interesting ideas on why America is so violent.
Moore thinks that the big problem is fear.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2004, 08:29:12 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2004, 08:36:05 AM by dazzleman »

Moore is a nut, but that's a whole different discussion.

I think the US is as violent as it is for a number of reasons, and that guns are more the result of this than the cause.

I believe that punishment deters crime, or at the very least, keeps them off the streets for a long time.  Gun control, on the other hand, has never kept, and will never keep, a criminal from getting a gun.

In the US, gun control at this point is like closing the barn door after the horse has left.  There are already so many guns floating around that they can never be controlled.  We can only set severe penalties for their improper use.

I find it interesting that many gun control advocates are also advocates of the "rights" of criminals, and have done all in their power to undermine effective law enforcement and punishment for crime.  They often see criminals as victims of "society."  So if these people want to know why we have so much violence, they may start by looking in the mirror.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2004, 12:30:03 PM »

Moore is a nut, but that's a whole different discussion.

I think the US is as violent as it is for a number of reasons, and that guns are more the result of this than the cause.

I believe that punishment deters crime, or at the very least, keeps them off the streets for a long time.  Gun control, on the other hand, has never kept, and will never keep, a criminal from getting a gun.

In the US, gun control at this point is like closing the barn door after the horse has left.  There are already so many guns floating around that they can never be controlled.  We can only set severe penalties for their improper use.

I find it interesting that many gun control advocates are also advocates of the "rights" of criminals, and have done all in their power to undermine effective law enforcement and punishment for crime.  They often see criminals as victims of "society."  So if these people want to know why we have so much violence, they may start by looking in the mirror.

Some good points there, but I still think a lot of crimes are committed by people who are not full-time criminals. Also, these crimes are the ones to usually strike at innocents, where as hits, gang-violence and so on, usually affect other criminals.

I do not advocate the rights of criminals, at least not in the sense you are referring to, but I would still want at least moderate gun control.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2004, 12:49:06 PM »

That was actually Moore's point Wink
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2004, 02:52:47 PM »

I don't see any reason why a gun needs to be legal if it has no legitimate purpose other than for killing.
Gun safety locks and a waiting period to undergo a thorough background check are common-sense proposals that will only deter people from getting and using a gun who shouldn't be getting and using one in the first place. They are no real burden to those who have a legitimate need and purpose for a gun.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2004, 09:50:56 PM »

Why couldn't NEW guns have a tracking device built in whereby once fired, a global positioning system within  the various regions of the country, would be alerted that that particular firearm had discharged and where it was discharged. This would make it harder for murderers/gangs/mafia to cover their crimes.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2004, 10:02:21 PM »

Why couldn't NEW guns have a tracking device built in whereby once fired, a global positioning system within  the various regions of the country, would be alerted that that particular firearm had discharged and where it was discharged. This would make it harder for murderers/gangs/mafia to cover their crimes.
That is a very costly and dreamy plan, if you know what I mean.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2004, 10:07:01 PM »

True enough. But I am a Dreamer. However, what's more costly in the long run? What matters more? Initial costs or long-term gain.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2004, 10:20:49 PM »

True enough. But I am a Dreamer. However, what's more costly in the long run? What matters more? Initial costs or long-term gain.
Initial costs. Smiley
bejkuy

« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2004, 11:38:58 PM »

<<<I don't see any reason why a gun needs to be legal if it has no legitimate purpose other than for killing.>>>>

As the bumper sticker says, "The second amendment ain't about duck hunting."

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2004, 06:41:47 PM »

No, the 2nd amendment says that the right to bear arms of a WELL-REGULATED militia shall not be infringed.

It is obviously not unconstitutional to ban some weapons, such as nuclear bombs, Sherman tanks, AK-47s, Uzis, etc. So clearly, there is no absolute right to arms.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2004, 06:47:10 PM »

As for your proposal, CM, I would not feel comfortable having the government have that much knowledge of what its citizens are doing. Not to mention that the GPS chip that was implanted in the gun could be disabled and removed without a tremendous degree of difficulty for someone who knew what they were doing.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2004, 02:20:40 PM »

No, the 2nd amendment says that the right to bear arms of a WELL-REGULATED militia shall not be infringed.

It is obviously not unconstitutional to ban some weapons, such as nuclear bombs, Sherman tanks, AK-47s, Uzis, etc. So clearly, there is no absolute right to arms.

Shouldn't it be other way round? Hunting rifles aren't necessary for a militia, but they could probably have good use of Uzis or Sherman tanks... Wink
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2004, 03:31:54 PM »

Lol, good point Gustaf.
jravnsbo

« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2004, 04:20:00 PM »

The history of the 2d amendment clearly defends the right to bear arms by an individual citizen as a check on a powerful central government thereby allowing the people to defend themselves against oppression.

Next, rights to own sawed offed shot guns and machine guns have been regulated and approved byt eh supreme court.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2004, 07:27:33 AM »

The history of the 2d amendment clearly defends the right to bear arms by an individual citizen as a check on a powerful central government thereby allowing the people to defend themselves against oppression.

Next, rights to own sawed offed shot guns and machine guns have been regulated and approved byt eh supreme court.

Yep, that's the purpose, and to me it seems slightly out of date, but thta's just me. If it were to work, people would need tanks and stuf, otherwise they could never rise up against the federal government... Wink
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2004, 08:55:22 AM »

As for your proposal, CM, I would not feel comfortable having the government have that much knowledge of what its citizens are doing. Not to mention that the GPS chip that was implanted in the gun could be disabled and removed without a tremendous degree of difficulty for someone who knew what they were doing.
No Nym90, it would not be easy to remove the chip if it was implanted within the stock of the gun. And by the way, What Nym90 fails to understand is that our Big Brother already know what we are doing at all times, so why not allow my proposal? It would be much harder for criminals to use firearms to carry out their horrendous crimes. It would be difficult to rob a bank at knifepoint. Also, a potential murder victim could get away or put up a fight if no firearm were involved.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2004, 12:18:38 PM »

CM's plan is very, very, very unrealistic and costly.
jravnsbo

« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2004, 10:38:07 PM »

Prayers go out to "The Nug" as he was hurt by a chain saw today and needed 40 stitches.  A great outdoorsman and activist!

"Cat Scratch Fever"
NHPolitico

« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2004, 10:25:05 AM »

Prayers go out to "The Nug" as he was hurt by a chain saw today and needed 40 stitches.  A great outdoorsman and activist!

"Cat Scratch Fever"

The guy who'll be governor of Michigan in 2007?

: )
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2004, 02:04:58 PM »

"Cat Scratch Fever"
Perhaps

jravnsbo

« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2004, 02:51:53 PM »

Yep that's him, hopefully!

"Cat Scratch Fever"

jravnsbo

« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2004, 10:34:52 AM »

After ten long years, the State of Ohio has finally passed a Right to Carry bill. On Thursday, January 8th, Governor Taft signed into law legislation that will allow law-abiding Ohioan’s the right to carry firearms for personal protection. Ohio now becomes the 37th state which to enact such a law.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2004, 10:54:24 AM »

After ten long years, the State of Ohio has finally passed a Right to Carry bill. On Thursday, January 8th, Governor Taft signed into law legislation that will allow law-abiding Ohioan’s the right to carry firearms for personal protection. Ohio now becomes the 37th state which to enact such a law.
Is he a descendant of President Taft?
jravnsbo

« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2004, 04:59:36 PM »

Yes grandson I believe, maybe great grandson.

I believe it was President Taft, son was a US Senator and this one is governor, all of Ohio.  The senator would most likely have been President if not for Ike or at aleast nominee.

Always thought we have 3 major families in politics today.  Tafts of Ohio, Kennedys and Bushes--roosevelts were inteh day with 2 Presidents.

Is he a descendant of President Taft?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies