Unbelievable–Ted Cruz Campaign Sends Out Personal Shaming Letters To Iowa Voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:22:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Unbelievable–Ted Cruz Campaign Sends Out Personal Shaming Letters To Iowa Voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Unbelievable–Ted Cruz Campaign Sends Out Personal Shaming Letters To Iowa Voters  (Read 1916 times)
bigedlb
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »

Link to Breitbart Article

“You are receiving this election notice because of low expected voter turnout in your area. Your individual voting history as well as your neighbors’ are public record.  Their scores are published below, and many of them will see your score as well.  CAUCUS ON MONDAY TO IMPROVE YOUR SCORE and please encourage your neighbors to caucus as well.  A follow-up notice may be issued following Monday’s caucuses”.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Confirmed by Cruz Campaign
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »

this is creepy af
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »

Lol another Tedism
xavier110
United States
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »

This is standard. Usually the most effective ones have their low score compared against a high-performing neighbor. That boosts their likelihood of voting even more.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 12:47:36 PM »

Well, we do need higher turnout for primaries. And I don't exactly think high turnout would help Ted Kruhz.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »

Well, we do need higher turnout for primaries. And I don't exactly think high turnout would help Ted Kruhz.

But shaming voters? How does that help?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »

I don't see why higher turnout is a good thing
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 12:49:29 PM »

Weren't you a Ted Cruz fan, like, yesterday?

Also, this

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »

Weren't you a Ted Cruz fan, like, yesterday?

Also, this

Ted Cruz was NEVER my first choice, he is always either my 2nd or 3rd, I only like the guy cause he can stop TRUMP
xavier110
United States
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2016, 12:52:43 PM by xavier110 »

If you know anything about election-related analytics and campaign tactics, this has proven to be one of the most effective methods of getting people to the polls.

A study: http://www.alaskapublic.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/PB-September-2010-Gerber-Green-and-Larimer.pdf

It may be mentioned in Game Change?
bigedlb
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »

If you know anything about election-related analytics and campaign tactics, this has proven to be one of the most effective methods of getting people to the polls.

A study: http://www.alaskapublic.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/PB-September-2010-Gerber-Green-and-Larimer.pdf

This Larimer person in your link works for Cruz and is suspected t be behind this

RR
TheodoreDewey
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.29, S: 4.52

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 01:20:47 PM »

Vote-Shaming. The Tumblerinas will get right on this one, I bet.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 01:21:23 PM »

This Larimer person in your link works for Cruz and is suspected t be behind this

I hate to say this, but that image has a point. Candidates need to teach their supporters how to caucus, help them find their location, and do it in a kind and polite way.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 01:24:31 PM »

I hate to say this, but that image has a point. Candidates need to teach their supporters how to caucus, help them find their location, and do it in a kind and polite way.

Yeah. This doesn't reflect well on the Cruzer.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »

This kind of thing should be illegal. Really shady and gross and takes advantage of uneducated and old people.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 04:31:21 PM »

Seems odd strategy to me.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/iowa-secretary-of-state-rebukes-cruz-for-controversial-maile#.jtgNd9LKMj
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »

Not odd at all, Cruz is a creep and it's totally in character for him.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 04:33:07 PM »

It goes hand-in-hand with the reports that the Cruz campaign was sending gallons of water to Flint, MI...but only to people who were pro-life.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »

If Hillary Clinton did this we'd have a dozen investigations and calls for indictment by now.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 04:44:47 PM »

If Hillary Clinton did this we'd have a dozen investigations and calls for indictment by now.

And if Bernie Sanders did it people would still blame Clinton, DWS, and the DNC somehow.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 04:45:15 PM »

Not even. Tea Party fanatics would be stringing her up within hours.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 04:46:59 PM »

Not even. She'd be heckled in -5 minutes flat.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2016, 04:56:53 PM by President Griffin »

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PLEASE READ

Oh, I hadn't actually read the article before I made my comment above - I just assumed his volunteers were out beating people with baseball bats or something.

This is a perfectly acceptable tactic. In fact, I have used it at the county level via robocall and mail; lots of Democratic campaigns started doing it over the past few years. It's all based on a report/study of the Michigan Republican primary in 2006. In essence, this is a form of "social pressure".

The more aggressive you are in a letter with respect to voting records and public recording of such information, the more likely you are to activate said voter. The MI experiment had a control and (I believe) 4 increasing levels of social pressure via mail. The control turnout was somewhere around 30%; each wave of social pressure increased turnout bit-by-bit, with the most aggressive form of social pressure boosted turnout to nearly 40%. Cruz isn't usually the most aggressive, but he's pretty close with the publication of household members' voting records. A ten-point increase in turnout among normally disengaged voters is a huge accomplishment.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Like I mentioned above, I did this in my county via mailers in 2014, and experimented with a robo-call format as well (which I thought was very creepy and great). I took a group of 4,000 voters that had 29% turnout in 2010, randomly sampled them, and split them into two groups of 2,000 (each with 29% 2010 turnout), with one group serving as the control and the other group being subject to my experiment. The control group had a 28% turnout in 2014; the group targeted with social pressure had a 38% turnout rate in 2014. In fact, I credit this tactic with helping my county to become the largest swinger to a 2014 Democratic gubernatorial candidate of any county in the South.

It really works! I have some respect for Cruz, oddly enough, after seeing what he actually did. It may actually work in his favor. I'm not sure how effective such a tactic will prove to be in a caucus, though, considering caucuses require a bit more engagement, time and attention.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 04:52:20 PM »

What was it that Nixon said? "It's not illegal if a Republican does it"? Something like that.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 05:28:53 PM »

Completely absurd and if I were an Iowa voter I would feel both incredibly violated and incredibly insulted.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies