Glenda Jackson dead at 87
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:40:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Glenda Jackson dead at 87
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Glenda Jackson dead at 87  (Read 187 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2023, 01:28:21 PM »
« edited: June 15, 2023, 02:03:44 PM by Lincoln General Court Member NewYorkExpress »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/15/europe/glenda-jackson-obituary-gbr-intl/index.html

Tributes have been paid to two-time Oscar-winning actor and former UK politician Glenda Jackson, who died peacefully after a short illness at the age of 87.

“Glenda Jackson, two-time Academy Award-winning actress and politician, 87, died peacefully at her home in London this morning after a short illness with her family by her side,” her agent Lionel Larner confirmed to CNN on Thursday.

Born in the northwestern town of Birkenhead in England in 1936, Jackson joined an amateur theater group as a teenager before winning a scholarship to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.

After graduating she starred on London’s West End and made her Broadway debut in 1965 in a production of “Marat/Sade.”

The screen followed. She won her first Academy Award for Best Actress for her role opposite Oliver Reed in the 1969 period drama “Women in Love.”

Her second came soon after for the 1973 romantic comedy “A Touch of Class” – two years after her notable depictions of Queen Elizabeth I in both the BBC’s biographic film “Elizabeth R” and the historical drama “Mary, Queen of Scots.”

In 1992 she turned to politics, becoming a Labour MP while the party was in opposition. She was an MP for 23 years, during which her party came to power in a landslide under Tony Blair.

In that time, Jackson was appointed a junior transport minister in 1997 and held the post for two years. She made a bid to become mayor of London in 2000, but lost out to independent candidate Ken Livingstone.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 02:55:13 PM »

RIP.  I think my favorite role of hers was Isobel, opposite Walter Matthau in Hopscotch (a delightful combination of comedy and CIA thriller).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 09:30:54 PM »

Just a got YouTube recommend for her evisceration of Thatcher. Good stuff. Too bad she didn't get in earlier and stand in place of Blair. Oh well.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 04:45:44 PM »

RIP. I've never seen any of her movies, but her criticisms of Thatcher and Iain Duncan Smith were some of the best criticisms of conservatism/defenses of liberalism I've ever seen. I agree with Mr. Smith that she would've been much better than Blair.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies