Who will the GOP Establishment circle upon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:35:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who will the GOP Establishment circle upon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: you know the drill
Jeb Bush

Marco Rubio

John Kasich

Chris Christie

Donald Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Who will the GOP Establishment circle upon?  (Read 1713 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2016, 10:33:16 PM »

I really hope they don't choose Trump.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:36:20 PM »

At first, no one. By March 16th, Donald Trump.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:37:57 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2016, 10:42:52 PM by bagelman »

Bush voters please explain yourself, even Kasich is more likely to win over the establishment than him.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:40:53 PM »

They are circling around Trump already. Bob Dole basically endorsed him.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 10:43:40 PM »

In the event that Christie doesn't rise and Rubio continues being Rubio than this might seriously happen which would be quite a sight to behold. So far they've shown that they are at least willing to support Trump against Cruz who they really really hate.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 10:45:59 PM »

Probably Marco Rubio, however if Chris Christie or John Kasich Were to win NH, then the establishment  will rally around them.
Adam the Gr8
AM33
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.70

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 10:52:54 PM »

Bush voters please explain yourself, even Kasich is more likely to win over the establishment than him.

Kasich is doing well in New Hampshire but not anywhere else, it seems like Christie is essentially tied with Bush in Iowa, Bush is doing better than either of the two in South Carolina and every other state, and I would think the establishment would rally behind one of these three before Rubio.
Broken System

Political Matrix
E: 0.26, S: 4.17

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »

The establishment backs Trump. They know their last chance to look like winners is to act like this is what they wanted all along. They are leaving their candidates stranded. What's funny is that if Trump becomes too mainstream, it will hurt his image.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 10:59:35 PM »

Bob Dole and Lindsey Graham's comments will actually help him and no he didn't endorse him
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 11:14:54 PM »

Establishments never rally behind someone until they're close to winning.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 11:27:34 PM »

Rubio is still my best guess. My biggest worry, though, is the establishment aiding and abetting Trump hoping he will lose the general so they can destroy the populist right (Tea Party) voters with whom Trump has associated himself (although he isn't philosophically a Tea Party guy at all). The establishment has plenty to fear from the growing power of right-wing populism and the anti-crony-capitalism stances of the Tea Party.

In terms of who they'll actually support, though, I think they'd prefer someone left of Rubio, but there's not a clear choice to the left of Rubio, and they know the grassroots will under no circumstances support anyone further left than Rubio unless it is Trump (and Rubio is already a hard sell).

Assuming they don't go for Trump, then, I'd say it almost has to be Rubio or Cruz, barring a surprising finish by Kasich or Bush in New Hampshire.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 09:13:58 AM »

I guess Rubio, although that raises the question of why they haven't already coalesced behind him. Maybe they're waiting for the verdict in New Hampshire.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 09:22:16 AM »

I think they prefer Rubio but if he is clearly going to lose and its going to end up a two man race between Trump and Cruz they will back Trump BIG.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 09:30:49 AM »

While I don't owe you an explanation about my political beliefs, I don't make it a habit of supporting whoever is at the top of the polls within my ideological boundaries. I'm not just voting for a nominee. I'm voting for a President. There is basically no contest that Governor Bush has the best record in the race. The only kind of attack they can manage is to sneer about being propped up by a bubble. Those same people will unironically turn around and support the Clintons because of their economic prowess and fiscal stewardship.

Jeb's got the best record on every single issue I'm passionate about domestically, with the excusable exception of healthcare. Taxes? Cut them $19 billion. Spending? Veto Corleone. 8 balanced budgets. The Second Amendment? Stand your ground. Right to life? Terri Schiavo. Education? Created the modern reform movement. The list goes on and on but the story stays the same. He's a reasonable person with rock ribbed conservatism at his core. This leaves out consideration of him having the best foreign policy credentials in the field with his vision for beating ISIS and whatnot. Commander in Chief material.

That's the gist of why I support Governor Bush in spite of the SNL parodies, polling data, and media narrative. I don't vote based on the horserace.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »

Marco Rubio, and when it becomes clear that he isn't going anywhere, Donald Trump.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »

On the one hand, picking Trump or Cruz is crazy because neither one of them can win the general if the opponent is Mrs. Clinton or Sanders. On the other hand Cruz would do much more damage to the non extremist wing of the party so picking Trump makes more sense.
Bush's focus on how Trump would ruin the party is very logical, even though he would be a poor choice because he refuses to repudiates his brother and father.
Trump, like his most recent supporter is a loon. Everyone knows that at least half of Republicans don't really like Palin.

As far as Rubio goes, without knowing the results of Iowa and NH it is difficult to see him as their inevitable choice. Nevertheless I will vote for him in this poll.
The Democratic establishment is making a mistake in choosing Clinton over Sanders, because polls indicate that Sanders would do much better than Clinton in the general. He also seems better than Clinton on certain issues. That doesn't necessarily make me a Sanders supporter for two reasons. I won't be allowed to vote until April 26 and things will be different by then.
The other reason is O'Malley; he seems to be to the left of Clinton, although he only has about a 3% chance of winning.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »

Well, it is probably true, that if it comes down to Trump or Cruz, most establishment Pubs will go for Trump. Cruz is hated, for personal reasons more than anything else, and I suspect the establishment is terrified what Cruz will do to down ballot Pubs in many parts of the country. In NY, it might well be a Pub bloodbath.

But there is still some hope such a hideous Hobson's choice will not need to be made.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies