SC PrimD: Other Source: Clinton up by 19 in SC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:56:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  SC PrimD: Other Source: Clinton up by 19 in SC
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC PrimD: Other Source: Clinton up by 19 in SC  (Read 1886 times)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:09:36 PM »

New Poll: South Carolina President by Other Source on 2016-01-15

Summary:
Clinton:
47%
Sanders:
28%
Other:
3%
Undecided:
22%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

mds32
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:12:22 PM »

Wow interesting.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 09:15:49 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2016, 09:18:25 PM by Sorenroy »

Amongst White Voters: (estimated to be roughly 40% of primary voters)
Sanders — 44%
Clinton — 39%
O'Malley — 2%

Amongst African-Americans: (estimated to be roughly 60% of primary voters)
Clinton — 54%
Sanders — 18%
O'Malley — 2%

Amongst Male Voters:
(estimated to be roughly 40% of primary voters)
Sanders — 44%
Clinton — 37%
O'Malley — 3%

Amongst Female Voters: (estimated to be roughly 60% of primary voters)
Clinton — 48%
Sanders — 32%
O'Malley — 2%

Change from December:
Clinton — -20
Sanders — -3
O'Malley — No Change
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:04 PM »

Pretty ironic that white males are the most liberal voters in the Democratic party (at least now).
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:24 PM »

Lots of undecideds. Racial/gender disparities are hilarious.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »

Lots of undecideds. Racial/gender disparities are hilarious.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:28:06 PM »

Probably a junk poll.

If it ends up being supported by other polls though (big if), this ought to be positively frightening news for Clinton.
psychprofessor

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 09:30:39 PM »

First off, they are comparing their poll with a previous poll conducted in December by a different polling outfit. That just seems strange.

Second, 87% of respondents are likely to vote but what about the other 13%?

If Bernie doesn't reverse the numbers with African Americans he isn't going to have a chance. From this poll to Maryland's poll, the trend seems to be the more AA and Hispanic voters in a given state, the more likely Hillary has a lead.

Right now Sanders is winning white liberal men and younger voters. I am partial to Hillary and expect her to win the nomination but it doesn't take a genius to see where Sanders needs to make inroads.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 09:45:14 PM »

Let's see what happens with other polls.  I wish Bernie would sling a little mud here.  While he was getting arrested in Civil Rights marches Hillary was campaigning for Goldwater.  That's a fact and I don't see why it isn't fair game.  At the very least, Bernie should be pointing out that issues most concerning to the black community when you ask them are his life's work. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 09:45:27 PM »

Blacks are gonna be Clinton's saving grace
psychprofessor

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 09:55:55 PM »

Let's see what happens with other polls.  I wish Bernie would sling a little mud here.  While he was getting arrested in Civil Rights marches Hillary was campaigning for Goldwater.  That's a fact and I don't see why it isn't fair game.  At the very least, Bernie should be pointing out that issues most concerning to the black community when you ask them are his life's work. 

The Clinton's have built many years of goodwill with the black community. In 2008, before Obama won Iowa, Blacks and Hispanics preferred Hillary. What ended up happening was that Obama won over liberal whites, young voters (like Bernie is now) but Blacks left Hillary in the dust once they saw that Obama had a chance. That really hurt Hillary - and allowed Obama to rack up delegates in states with large AA population.

The same thing is going to happen to Bernie if he doesn't make inroads.

Another interesting dynamic could be since a lot of primaries are proportional, AA populations are in more urban, higher delegate areas, Hillary will be able to rack up more delegates compared to her percentage overall in the state.

One of the reasons why I think she prevails in Iowa is because the delegate selection is proportional - Bernie's areas of concentration are in less delegate rich counties, which will hurt him.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:58:56 PM »

The Clinton's have built many years of goodwill with the black community. In 2008, before Obama won Iowa, Blacks and Hispanics preferred Hillary. What ended up happening was that Obama won over liberal whites, young voters (like Bernie is now) but Blacks left Hillary in the dust once they saw that Obama had a chance. That really hurt Hillary - and allowed Obama to rack up delegates in states with large AA population.

Another interesting dynamic could be since a lot of primaries are proportional, AA populations are in more urban, higher delegate areas, Hillary will be able to rack up more delegates compared to her percentage overall in the state.

One of the reasons why I think she prevails in Iowa is because the delegate selection is proportional - Bernie's areas of concentration are in less delegate rich counties, which will hurt him.

The caucus process also hurts Hillary.  Smaller counties where only a couple of delegates are awarded?  60-40 for Hillary still means a 1-1 split.  There are factors at play on both sides that tend to skew the raw total towards being closer in the actual delegate count.
psychprofessor

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 10:01:06 PM »

Yes, but I mean in terms of how the caucus results in Iowa are reported. It isn't raw numbers in terms of popular vote, but percentage of delegates. I think that hurts Bernie because his areas of strength are in 3 counties.

The caucus process also hurts Hillary.  Smaller counties where only a couple of delegates are awarded?  60-40 for Hillary still means a 1-1 split.  There are factors at play on both sides that tend to skew the raw total towards being closer in the actual delegate count.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 10:02:53 PM »

Unsurprising that people basically misunderstand how the caucus process works.

Also, there's nothing to be worried about for Clinton in South Carolina.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »

Are you arguing the caucus process DOESN'T tend towards a delegate count closer than the raw total?  This is, how do you say, widely accepted.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 10:06:23 PM »

I think the issue isn't that he isn't bringing it up, I think the issue is that he isn't bringing it up enough. It should be a central point in his campaign, showing that not only do his views align with helping the poor and disenfranchised, but also that his actions back that up. One of his main points every time he speaks is how his ideas have not changed in 30 years (it's not really true, but it makes a good speech), and adding to that that he was marching alongside King can only help that.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 10:08:30 PM »

I think the issue isn't that he isn't bringing it up, I think the issue is that he isn't bringing it up enough. It should be a central point in his campaign, showing that not only do his views align with helping the poor and disenfranchised, but also that his actions back that up. One of his main points every time he speaks is how his ideas have not changed in 30 years (it's not really true, but it makes a good speech), and adding to that that he was marching alongside King can only help that.

I can only hope he is waiting to bust that out at the right time.  Just look at this inspiring image.

Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 10:11:47 PM »

I can only hope he is waiting to bust that out at the right time.  Just look at this inspiring image.

For the record, there have been questions over that specific image. Bernie Sanders was definitely active during that time, and was arrested, but this is thought to be an image of another activist.

http://time.com/4108379/bernie-sanders-photo-civil-rights/
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »

For the record, there have been questions over that specific image. Bernie Sanders was definitely active during that time, and was arrested, but this is thought to be an image of another activist.

http://time.com/4108379/bernie-sanders-photo-civil-rights/

Eh whatever.  Here's this one.

Oh the feels
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 10:13:39 PM »

Are you arguing the caucus process DOESN'T tend towards a delegate count closer than the raw total?  This is, how do you say, widely accepted.
No, I'm saying that the caucus process (in Iowa) doesn't favor Sanders at the moment, due to his incredibly concentrated support in college towns.
psychprofessor

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »

No, I'm saying that the caucus process (in Iowa) doesn't favor Sanders at the moment, due to his incredibly concentrated support in college towns.

I agree. And because the way the vote will be reported is based on a percentage of delegates, I think that favors Hillary.
Zache

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 10:19:36 PM »

Let's see what happens with other polls.  I wish Bernie would sling a little mud here.  While he was getting arrested in Civil Rights marches Hillary was campaigning for Goldwater.  That's a fact and I don't see why it isn't fair game. 

It's probably not fair game because Clinton was only like 16 then. Sanders should definitely tout his civil rights record more though.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 10:33:10 PM »

Sanders is winning whites even in the deep south. Intriguing.
psychprofessor

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 10:34:49 PM »

I would be careful of this poll. Internet only, huge number of undecided and only 87% certain to vote.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 11:32:08 PM »

On this note, I'd be curious to know how the few remaining self-described "conservative White Democrats" in South Carolina would vote; they obviously strongly favored Hillary throughout the South in 2008, looking at county maps, but it'd be a more interesting question this time around.  I guess the question will really be answered in AR and WV if both candidates are still in it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies