The Executive Branch (President, Vice President, etc.)

(1/28) > >>

Unconditional Surrender Truman:

Hear ye! Hear ye! Having seen the adoption of the Articles addressing the Regions and the federal Congress, this Convention will now turn its attention to the Executive branch of the national government. As the old thread was basically four pages of Griffin and Windjammer arguing about who better understands the U.S. Constitution, I have decided to move debate here; this will make it easier to keep track of relevant proposals and information and will allow me to edit the title of this thread to announce votes and other procedural matters.

I would remind the delegates that, by a previous principle vote, this Convention has determined to preserve the position of Vice President. This, to the best of my knowledge, is the only significant decision made in the previous thread.

I now open the floor for debate.

Clyde1998:
I think that we should allow certain members of the executive branch to sit in Congress or in the Regional Legislatures. Probably the only roles that wouldn't be allowed to would be the President, Vice President and the Game Moderator.

I think this will make these roles easier to fill and reduce the amount of positions within the game.

Quote from: Clyde1998 on January 18, 2016, 05:32:06 PM

I think that we should allow certain members of the executive branch to sit in Congress or in the Regional Legislatures. Probably the only roles that wouldn't be allowed to would be the President, Vice President and the Game Moderator.

I think this will make these roles easier to fill and reduce the amount of positions within the game.

Not a bad idea, though I think this would be best addressed when we discuss simultaneous officeholding later in the Convention.

Lincoln Republican:
I would support having the Vice President elected separately from the President and being permitted to hold a cabinet position, if he would like to, and if nominated by the President.

This still provides for an immediate successor to the President should he resign or be impeached, as well as providing some meaningful responsibility while still serving as Vice President.

The Vice President would still, of course, continue to cast any tie breaking votes in the Senate.

Quote from: Lincoln Republican on January 18, 2016, 05:52:25 PM

I would support having the Vice President elected separately from the President and being permitted to hold a cabinet position, if he would like to, and if nominated by the President.

I will call a principle vote on the proposal in bold in 24 hours time if there are no objections.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page