OH-Sen 2018: Mandel launches fundraising effort for possible run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 01:28:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen 2018: Mandel launches fundraising effort for possible run
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: OH-Sen 2018: Mandel launches fundraising effort for possible run  (Read 3276 times)
syntaxerror
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 03:08:29 PM »

Brown is VERY liberal, like the 3rd most liberal senator, and his state is R+2 or so on Cook.  Mandel is weak, he should seek another statewide office, or OH-16 if Renacci vacates it before running for Senate.  It's clear Mandel really wants to be Senator, but he should let Kasich have this seat.  Kasich would probably beat Brown by about 20 points.

Doubt Kasich is interested in returning to Congress. May be readying himself for 2020 instead.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 05:01:07 PM »

Brown is VERY liberal, like the 3rd most liberal senator, and his state is R+2 or so on Cook.  Mandel is weak, he should seek another statewide office, or OH-16 if Renacci vacates it before running for Senate.  It's clear Mandel really wants to be Senator, but he should let Kasich have this seat.  Kasich would probably beat Brown by about 20 points.

Real voters don't care about ideology, lol.
JMT

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 05:06:51 PM »

Kasich very well could win by a small margin, but he wouldn't defeat an incumbent senator in a swing state by 20 points. Not happening. Also, I doubt Kasich will run for Senate anyways. I don't think many (if any) of the top Republicans will take the risk of running against Brown, so they are probably stuck with Mandel as their nominee again. I imagine many of the top Republicans in the state will probably run for the open Governors race instead of the Senate. But if 2018 ends up being a Republican wave, that could deliver Mandel a victory unfortunately... 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 05:12:23 PM »

Kasich very well could win by a small margin, but he wouldn't defeat an incumbent senator in a swing state by 20 points. Not happening. Also, I doubt Kasich will run for Senate anyways. I don't think many (if any) of the top Republicans will take the risk of running against Brown, so they are probably stuck with Mandel as their nominee again. I imagine many of the top Republicans in the state will probably run for the open Governors race instead of the Senate. But if 2018 ends up being a Republican wave, that could deliver Mandel a victory unfortunately... 

Luckily Mandel is such a weak candidate Brown could win even in a wave. Mandel vastly underperformed all the other downticket statewide Republicans in 2014.

If Republicans were smart they'd nominate literally anybody else.
JMT

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 05:23:18 PM »

Luckily Mandel is such a weak candidate Brown could win even in a wave. Mandel vastly underperformed all the other downticket statewide Republicans in 2014.

If Republicans were smart they'd nominate literally anybody else.

I agree, Mandel is a weak candidate, but the question is whether someone more viable will step up to run.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 05:42:57 PM »

2018 can be a neutral yr. With all the vulnerable GOP govs at stake. And the Gov race is more enticing.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »

Mandel will almost definitely get in, while Kasich probably isn't interested. That said, The Cleveland Plain Dealer is speculating Pat Tiberi might get in.

Tiberi's a lot more credible a threat than Mandel, so hopefully they get into an ugly primary.

EDIT: DeWine rematch would be foolish, and as X stated, he wants to be Governor. He's held pretty much every-other elected position in the state.

Tiberi doesn't seem to want it, Stivers is probably gonna be the nominee.
I had been thinking Stivers was going to get in, so the news about Tiberi surprised me, but he certainly seems to be ramping up for a run given what The Plain Dealer reported. Why do you think he doesn't want it?

(Another reason I was surprised is because Tiberi is pretty high up on Ways and Means, which is reason enough to stay put.)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2016, 09:30:29 PM »

Mandel and Husted are very weak nominees.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2016, 10:24:38 AM »

I've been told by my sources that Stivers is the most likely option. Husted is going to run for Governor, no one likes Mandel, and Tiberi wants the Chairmanship of Ways and Means.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2016, 11:11:06 AM »

Maybe Mandel will look 19 instead of 16 this time!
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2016, 12:58:05 PM »

2018 can be a neutral yr. With all the vulnerable GOP govs at stake. And the Gov race is more enticing.
I expect 2018 to be a good Republican year in the Senate, but a good Democratic year with governorships.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2016, 01:54:02 PM »

Yes, it all depends on the wave in 2016,  but McCasill, Brown & Tester aren't Hagen, Braley & Landrieu either
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2016, 02:43:28 PM »

I had no idea high schoolers are allowed to run for Senate.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2016, 04:10:37 PM »

I've been told by my sources that Stivers is the most likely option. Husted is going to run for Governor, no one likes Mandel, and Tiberi wants the Chairmanship of Ways and Means.

I agree with your assessment, and it's what everyone whispers, but to play devil's advocate: Tiberi totally ignored an opportunity to get ahead when Ryan became Speaker.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2016, 04:47:52 PM »

I know that typically, Republicans do not allow the same Representative to chair the same committee for more than 3 terms.  But isn't Ways and Means an exception?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2016, 04:51:04 PM »

I agree with your assessment, and it's what everyone whispers, but to play devil's advocate: Tiberi totally ignored an opportunity to get ahead when Ryan became Speaker.

Yes, if Tiberi really wanted it, he would have contested it. There wasn't even a whisper in the DC media about it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2016, 07:30:01 PM »

Brown isn't as Al Franken or Elizabeth Warren or Sanders
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2016, 06:47:37 PM »

Yeah, he's a lot better. Tongue

The Columbus Dispatch is also now stoking Tiberi's Senatorial flame.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies