List of Topics to be Debated
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:19:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  List of Topics to be Debated
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: List of Topics to be Debated  (Read 2691 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
« edited: April 12, 2016, 11:23:20 PM by Senator Truman »

HEADQUARTERS of the PRESIDING OFFICER
Jan 9, 2016

At the suggestion of Deputy P.O. Leinad, I have decided to create this thread as a way of keeping track of everything that is left for us to accomplish: a "to do" list of sorts for the new Constitution. It is intended to serve two purposes: to remind me of what needs to be done, and to keep everyone else from dozing off for want of direction.

✔ Accomplished      ☐ In Progress

✔ Ratification & Statute Reboot
✔ Finish Congress by Jan 15
✔ Finish the Regions by Jan 15
✔ Executive Branch (Pres., VP)
✔ Judicial Branch (Supreme Court)
✔ Bill of Rights
     ✔ Citizenship
☐ Misc. Provisions
     ☐ Amendment Process
     ☐ Supremacy Clause
     ☐ Relations between the Regions (Article IV of the US Constitution)
     ☐ Simultaneous officeholding
     ☐ Relationship between the Senate & the House
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 03:53:46 PM »

I will add that we need to really establish protocols for how the two chambers will interact. This is something I'm afraid many of us haven't considered. How will the vote/legislation process work? Who will break ties in the House?

The framework is in place, but there are some details that will need to be added to each section after the fact. I know there'll be a debate on how much should be in the Constitution for each section, but I really think we'll need to have things such as what was mentioned above included.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 11:33:13 AM »

I will add that we need to really establish protocols for how the two chambers will interact. This is something I'm afraid many of us haven't considered. How will the vote/legislation process work? Who will break ties in the House?

The framework is in place, but there are some details that will need to be added to each section after the fact. I know there'll be a debate on how much should be in the Constitution for each section, but I really think we'll need to have things such as what was mentioned above included.
Generally speaking, I think most matters of everyday Congressional procedure should be left to Congress itself; however, certain matters (such as which house has jurisdiction over confirmation votes, etc.) definitely need to be addressed before we wrap this up.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:04:22 PM »

☐ Relationship between the Senate & the House

This is an important point. An example: when the House will pass a bill, shall the Senate debate about it and pass it again? If yes, if the Senate will make some changes to the text approved bt the House, shall the House debate and approve again the bill?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 08:23:13 PM »

Here's a random but important question that I'm not sure how we'll effectively address: what in the Sam Hell are we going to do with the Wiki? I realize this isn't the first new Constitution, but at minimum, we are going to probably want to specify every relevant page with a note that said information ceased to be applicable/accurate as of [date].

We obviously don't want to lose the history stored there, but at the same time, I'm wondering if there is a way to segregate the past/present rendition of the game from the future one?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 03:12:27 PM »

Here's a random but important question that I'm not sure how we'll effectively address: what in the Sam Hell are we going to do with the Wiki? I realize this isn't the first new Constitution, but at minimum, we are going to probably want to specify every relevant page with a note that said information ceased to be applicable/accurate as of [date].

We obviously don't want to lose the history stored there, but at the same time, I'm wondering if there is a way to segregate the past/present rendition of the game from the future one?
We could have a banner heading (the sort of things you often see on Wikipedia (1, 2, 3), as a template, at the top of each new legislation page that says "this legislation was passed following the passage of the nth constitution and is currently active/inactive" (or whatever) to avoid this issue. All older other pages could be updated in due course to say that they are no longer active legislation, using similar template. Using the template will allow us to update every page for the New Constitution in one swoop , if, and when, we have another new constitution in the future.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies