Education Reform Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:20:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Education Reform Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Education Reform Act (Passed)  (Read 4827 times)
Potus
Potus2036

« on: March 05, 2016, 10:33:31 PM »

Does everyone in this body honestly agree that the federal government should be in the position to write direct, legislative funding prescriptions for degrees in certain types of fields? I believe that we should establish mechanisms to allow funding to flow toward in-demand degrees and programs. Income share agreements, expanded tax benefits for corporate scholarship/training programs, etc. If we're trying to advocate for workforce development, let's not pass a law that is meaningless in three or four years.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 09:34:05 PM »

"Leaving education alone probably won't produce anything better" is not a justification for action. Inaction is the natural state of things. This bill doesn't seem to really address a problem in the longterm. A better way to make the workforce match the jobs is to dramatically expand investment opportunities in workers, not centrally planned degree assistance.

Motion to table.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 09:20:18 AM »

Withdrawing my motion to table.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:21:29 AM »

I propose to strike existing language, including the title, and replace it with:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 09:23:50 AM »

We're in a state of crisis and that legislation needs pushed through. I encourage everyone to support the amendment.

This bill has already burned through most of its legislative time, making this a particularly good opportunity to expedite the ISIS bill.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »

This has already run out the legislative clock and is not as pressing. We can bring up the current text of this bill in another thread without having to put combatting ISIS through the bureaucratic circus.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 09:36:11 PM »

I'll sithdraw this amendment went the first Aye is cast in a final vote on the ISIS fighting law.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 07:24:57 PM »

Amendment withdrawn.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 11:51:29 AM »

Nay.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 03:54:01 PM »

AYE!

I encourage those senators voting "nay" to explain their objections to the motion for cloture and what they hope to accomplish if said motion is defeated.

The bill isn't ready to be passed into law. It's not rotten to the core, just needs work. There's a new Senate who hasn't really gotten a chance to weigh in on it, amend it, etc. Since we've effectively dealt with the ISIS situation from a legislative perspective, we can now give this some attention.

I urge the motion be defeated.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 08:13:01 AM »

Abstain

I don't understand Sen. Potus's behavior. First, he motion to totally change the text of the bill in order to address another matter, so I think he don't care about the content of the bill.
Now, he says that "the bill needs work" and that "since we've effectively dealt with the ISIS situation from a legislative perspective, we can now give this some attention".

I do care about education reform and making the supply of degrees correlate with the job market and needs of business, it's just not as pressing as dealing with the ISIS threat. This body has a habit of sending things through a bureaucratic ringer. I've numerous people say, "Does the Senate actually pass legislation?" The amendment to replace it with the ISIS bill was to expedite the ISIS bill and focus the entire senate on the issue.

We can actually fix this bill by adding investment components, clarifying the legal grey area surrounding income share agreements, and providing stronger support for corporate scholarships and vocational training.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies