When did the parties switch platforms? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:27:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  When did the parties switch platforms? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When did the parties switch platforms?  (Read 25612 times)
hopper
United States

« on: January 09, 2016, 04:42:27 PM »

2010, of course (when the Southern legislatures fell)!

Seriously, though, I know those guys were just DINOs.  When they REALLY switched was the 2000s.  You see, Bill Clinton (a Democrat) talked about an end to the era of big government.  He also like deregulated something or something like that, and he had a Southern accent and won West Virginia (and WV votes Republican now, so that means the Democrats of the '90s were the Republicans of today).  Then, in the 2000s, George W. Bush (a Republican) swept onto the scene, and he expanded government (he was a liberal for this) and also passed No Child Left Behind.  Plus the debt.  Democrats attacked him for this (making them the conservatives of that time period).
Well fiscal conservatives but definitely not Social Conservatives.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »

On Economics- GOP has always been more right wing
Foreign Policy- They were about the same until the 1970s when the GOP became more hawkish
Social Policy- Gradual from truman to lbj

The Dems didn't become more isolationist after Vietnam?
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 05:58:16 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2016, 06:03:23 PM by hopper »

Never.  Their platforms may have changed some over the years, but the switch wasn't as radical as liberals like to pretend it was.  That's just an excuse they make to keep repeating the lie that the racist Democrats joined the GOP after Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act.
No, I think some Democrats think the GOP was more left wing than the Dems before either 1930 or 1940. I don't think "The Civil Rights Act" has anything to do with their argument. Most Congressional Republicans voted for "The Civil Rights Act" anyway.
hopper
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 06:00:40 PM »

Four of these states swung toward Wallace, one for Nixon, zero for Humphrey. All voted for Nixon in 1972. Carter is the only post-CRA Democrat to win any of these voters back, and even then not incredibly.
Clinton won Louisiana in 1992 and 1996. Georgia also went to Clinton in 1992 and was close in 1996 although Dole won it.
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 02:38:27 AM »

Never.  Their platforms may have changed some over the years, but the switch wasn't as radical as liberals like to pretend it was.  That's just an excuse they make to keep repeating the lie that the racist Democrats joined the GOP after Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act.

That's not a lie at all. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 set in motion the South's turn from D to R, hence why Barry Goldwater won 4 states that would have been easily for Johnson in any other circumstance. They fell in love with Reagan and the GOP in 1980 because of his dog whistle racism, and have voted Republican ever since. Since 1976, the Republicans have run further and further to the right, embracing racism more and more with each passing election.
Further and Further to the right? I don't think Trump is really that conservative. "The Club For Growth" for example hates Trump because only Bernie Sanders is more fiscally liberal than Trump out of all the Presidential Candidates running currently. You think George W. Bush, McCain, Bob Dole, and Romney were racists? You think all white people voted for Reagan because of dog whistle racism?
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 05:07:42 PM »

You're also the party of Strom Thurmond and mind you Robert Byrd.  Jesse Helms I believe was a Democrat.  You listen to the left and this is what happens.

We can't deny that those people were Democrats (even if Strom switched long before he died). Robert Byrd appeared to turn over a new leaf quite some time before he died as well. Obviously I didn't know him personally, but he was definitely not acting racist, or saying racist things, or pushing racist policies for a long time before he died in 2010.

However, now these types of people are Republicans and have been for years, at least in most elections. There are racist northerners but there are quite a lot of racists from the South and will continue to be until the older generation is thoroughly replaced, and even then. It's not that the Republican party in itself has these racist overtones, it's their base of support (the South). Any party that represents these people will end up giving off that image until things change - And as I said, to varying degrees, they are changing.
Yeah I think Byrd gave up his racist plank in the early 1980's.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies