When did the parties switch platforms? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:28:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  When did the parties switch platforms? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When did the parties switch platforms?  (Read 25691 times)
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« on: January 14, 2016, 12:59:38 AM »

More important than numbers and data is reasons. Some Republican states have always been that way or at least go further back than you think. KS NE SD ND for example. As time goes on the issues change and the parties are forced to take stands on them based on what already appeals to their base. Time is to thank for the change. RI MA were Democrat just prior to the depression. The parties are half similar when compared to 50 years ago too if you look at the maps.
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:00:54 AM »

Never. As for Wallace voters, the only two I ever knew were Democratic until 2004 and too senile to vote after that.

Despite what this forum would like to hear, that is probably how most "old school Dixiecrats" probably voted ... what is so appealing to them about a Connecticut, WASPy, dynasty family member of the Party of Lincoln who's clearly pretending to be a cowboy?  LOL.  These folks almost certainly voted for Clinton, and given they were probably already in their 60s by the time Reagan was running, I doubt they voted for the California Republican either.

Now I will say, if any true Dixiecrats were still alive, I bet they would have crossed party lines for the first time in order to prevent a Black man from being elected ... but most are dead.

Storm Thurmond? Richard Shelby? Fob James? Zell Miller? Buddy Roemer? The biggest racist ever to serve in the Senate, Jesse Helms? How about Trent Lott, Mills Godwin, Nathan Deal, and Sonny Perdue?

You're also the party of Strom Thurmond and mind you Robert Byrd.  Jesse Helms I believe was a Democrat.  You listen to the left and this is what happens.
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »

You're also the party of Strom Thurmond and mind you Robert Byrd.  Jesse Helms I believe was a Democrat.  You listen to the left and this is what happens.

We can't deny that those people were Democrats (even if Strom switched long before he died). Robert Byrd appeared to turn over a new leaf quite some time before he died as well. Obviously I didn't know him personally, but he was definitely not acting racist, or saying racist things, or pushing racist policies for a long time before he died in 2010.

However, now these types of people are Republicans and have been for years, at least in most elections. There are racist northerners but there are quite a lot of racists from the South and will continue to be until the older generation is thoroughly replaced, and even then. It's not that the Republican party in itself has these racist overtones, it's their base of support (the South). Any party that represents these people will end up giving off that image until things change - And as I said, to varying degrees, they are changing.

I have two posting styles.  One is for those who know what's going on and one for talking heads of the far left.  Hopefully, when I reply to you, I'm much more respectful and polite.  You have a deep knowledge of government and history.  My party has had their share of rotten eggs too.  It's just not always as dramatic as some make it out to be.

Looking at 1964 and 1980 we see pivotal points in the electorate.
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 08:20:11 PM »

lmao "the parties never switched platforms"

Go on?
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 08:52:45 PM »

Red - States that voted majority R before 1964 and majority D since 1964
Blue - States that voted majority D before 1964 and majority R since 1964
Green - States that voted majority R both before and after 1964
Orange - States that voted majority D both before and after 1964
Yellow - States that voted for both parties equally before 1964 and majority R since 1964

This seems to imply (correctly) that either the parties or the states switched platforms sometime around 1964.

I'm glad to see this. Platforms evolve with issues as they change. They're partly similar and partly different. It's not as simple as saying they changed it stayed the same. Nice work!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies