When did the parties switch platforms? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:04:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  When did the parties switch platforms? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When did the parties switch platforms?  (Read 25618 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« on: January 12, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »

Never.  Their platforms may have changed some over the years, but the switch wasn't as radical as liberals like to pretend it was.  That's just an excuse they make to keep repeating the lie that the racist Democrats joined the GOP after Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act.

That's not a lie at all. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 set in motion the South's turn from D to R, hence why Barry Goldwater won 4 states that would have been easily for Johnson in any other circumstance. They fell in love with Reagan and the GOP in 1980 because of his dog whistle racism, and have voted Republican ever since. Since 1976, the Republicans have run further and further to the right, embracing racism more and more with each passing election.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 05:02:51 PM »

Never. As for Wallace voters, the only two I ever knew were Democratic until 2004 and too senile to vote after that.

Despite what this forum would like to hear, that is probably how most "old school Dixiecrats" probably voted ... what is so appealing to them about a Connecticut, WASPy, dynasty family member of the Party of Lincoln who's clearly pretending to be a cowboy?  LOL.  These folks almost certainly voted for Clinton, and given they were probably already in their 60s by the time Reagan was running, I doubt they voted for the California Republican either.

Now I will say, if any true Dixiecrats were still alive, I bet they would have crossed party lines for the first time in order to prevent a Black man from being elected ... but most are dead.

Storm Thurmond? Richard Shelby? Fob James? Zell Miller? Buddy Roemer? The biggest racist ever to serve in the Senate, Jesse Helms? How about Trent Lott, Mills Godwin, Nathan Deal, and Sonny Perdue?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 09:24:41 PM »

Never.  Their platforms may have changed some over the years, but the switch wasn't as radical as liberals like to pretend it was.  That's just an excuse they make to keep repeating the lie that the racist Democrats joined the GOP after Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act.

That's not a lie at all. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 set in motion the South's turn from D to R, hence why Barry Goldwater won 4 states that would have been easily for Johnson in any other circumstance. They fell in love with Reagan and the GOP in 1980 because of his dog whistle racism, and have voted Republican ever since. Since 1976, the Republicans have run further and further to the right, embracing racism more and more with each passing election.
Further and Further to the right? I don't think Trump is really that conservative. "The Club For Growth" for example hates Trump because only Bernie Sanders is more fiscally liberal than Trump out of all the Presidential Candidates running currently. You think George W. Bush, McCain, Bob Dole, and Romney were racists? You think all white people voted for Reagan because of dog whistle racism?

Reagan went to Emmet Till's hometown and gave a speech about "states' rights." I'll let Lee Atwater explain it further: https://youtube.com/watch?v=MAPeFRNtTP4
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies