How good is your OVERALL voting record ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 02:12:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How good is your OVERALL voting record ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Considering EVERY local, county, state and federal election, how well is your record in going to the polls to vote ?
Have voted 100% of the time.

Have voted approx 90-99% of the time.

Have voted approx 75-89% of the time.

Have voted approx 50-74% of the time.

Have voted approx 25-49% of the time.

Have voted under 25% of the time.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: How good is your OVERALL voting record ?  (Read 1848 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 07:48:14 PM »

100%. Actually more than that, because in several elections I voted for people who couldn't, but didn't want to spoil their vote.

What?
If you're Dutch and you live here, there is no such thing as early voting or absentee ballots. One can, however, ask someone else to vote for them. Both people need to sign a form (to be handed in at the polling station by the person who votes) and the person who votes needs to bring a copy of the other person's ID to the polling station. A voter can only vote for a maximum of two other people (in order to avoid fraud). I did this in three elections already, for people who would be abroad or just couldn't vote.

Does this mean, that you are (technically) required to vote as the other person intended/intends ?
Or can you use the extra ballot(s), and vote exactly as you desire ?
Because my thought is that if you can vote the extra ballots as you desire, then technically you are allowed to vote more than one time, while others only vote once. In my opinion, this does not sound like a fair "democratic" voting system (in Holland).
Very strange policy/system to me.
Well, the idea is of course that someone cannot vote, asks person X to vote for person Y on list Z, and then person X does so (regardless of the party he himself votes for). However, one's vote is obviously secret, so if person X votes for person A on list B instead, no one will know. Want to avoid that? Give your vote to someone 1) whom you trust and 2) who is politically close to you.

Because of the fact that one can accept only 2 other people's votes, mass fraud is being prevented. In addition to that, one can officially not ask others for their votes; instead, the person who cannot vote has to approach someone who will be voting. However, this can of course not be enforced.

It doesn't seem particularly "unfair" or undemocratic to me, although I could see the case for absentee ballots and early voting.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies