Where do you get your coffee from?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:23:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Where do you get your coffee from?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Fav coffee shop?
Dunkin Donuts

Starbucks

Other

Don't drink coffee (low energy)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Where do you get your coffee from?  (Read 4194 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2016, 11:47:56 AM »

Good news for angus.........McDonalds has a free small coffee on Mondays.  Just stop by a few times so that they don't recognize you.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2016, 08:37:27 PM »

Dunno how that's relevant, but any French that came back from the US just couldn't stand coffee outhere, there is a french expression for that: jus de chaussette (sock juice).

Well, coffee only is for the morning for a more energic wake up than tea, then nothing regular, and personally I do fine with that:

Lidl, don't remember the price

No coffee elitist at all here, mainly useful to have a consistent beverage 'in the blood'.

And well, no 'to go' coffee' in France, here, as for most things you put into your mouth, you sit.

Very few Starbucks and the like.

The other very popular way to have coffee is...

Mostly in offices/schools

In all cases, it's just too expensive, no [little/espresso] coffee under 2€ in any average bar (and for Paris you better plan 5€), and I prefer not remembering the price of those machines.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2016, 10:12:25 PM »

My Keurig because it's way cheaper than buying coffee every day.

This. Brand-wise, I prefer McDonalds and so do most people I've spoken to.

Keuirgs are horrible.  You can make whole bean coffee that tastes much, much better for 1/3 the price.  It's not like traditional coffee makers require an engineering degree to operate.

1/3 the price is no bargain if you only want 1 cup.  The smallest non K-cup machine I've seen is a 4 cup machine.  K-cups don't really compete with traditional drip coffee makers but with instant coffee. I drink at most 2 cups of coffee per day, so making even small pots of coffee makes no sense for me.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »

My Keurig because it's way cheaper than buying coffee every day.

This. Brand-wise, I prefer McDonalds and so do most people I've spoken to.

Keuirgs are horrible.  You can make whole bean coffee that tastes much, much better for 1/3 the price.  It's not like traditional coffee makers require an engineering degree to operate.

1/3 the price is no bargain if you only want 1 cup.  The smallest non K-cup machine I've seen is a 4 cup machine.  K-cups don't really compete with traditional drip coffee makers but with instant coffee. I drink at most 2 cups of coffee per day, so making even small pots of coffee makes no sense for me.
Instant coffee is disgusting.  I don't know how people drink it.  It seems especially popular in commonwealth nations.

If you drink (one) 6-8oz cup of coffee per day, then Keurig might make sense.  But if you drink several cups.. or one at home and one on the way... then a drip brewer makes sense.  The "cup" measures are for 6oz cups of coffee... not the standard 8oz size.  So 4 cups is 24oz which is not that hard to drink if you take it with you in a thermos.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2016, 03:54:50 PM »

I agree.  I have noticed it mostly in Central America.  It's weird.  I have been in Guatemala and couldn't find a proper cup of coffee anywhere, even as I was surrounded by coffee-growing plantations.  In that part of the world you have to ask for "café Americano" which is taken to mean strong coffee, brewed properly, with no sugar and no milk.  They have other words for brewed coffee with sugar or with milk or not so strong.  If you want it really strong ask for "café expresso" which is what the eye-talians call Caffè  Espresso.  If they don't have proper coffee, then they'll just shake their heads and say "tenemos Nescafe, nada más."  Really?  We're standing in the middle of a coffee-growing field.  How can you not have proper coffee?

The Keurig maker coffee isn't too horrible.  That's what they have at Wells-Fargo, and it's fast.  More importantly, it's free.  I prefer my regular drip coffee from my own machine, though.  I make it as strong as I want and I drink as much as I want.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2016, 05:05:37 PM »

I was looking up statistics and found that Minnesota, at least per google, has the strongest interest in coffee.  Even ahead of Washington, home of Starbucks and Seattle's Best.  It makes sense considering that northern Europeans are the heaviest coffee drinkers in the world.  That spread to the new world as well.

As for instant... Australia is where that is most common (blech).  But it has much more to do with the fact that Australia and the UK are generally tea drinking cultures.  So why have a special machine for coffee when you can have coffee (albeit less tasty) with a hot water pot?

At least there's a practical reason for it.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2016, 05:13:49 PM »

The coffeemaker doesn't take up much room and wasn't particularly expensive.  In my office it sets next to my tiny toaster oven on top of the tiny microwave which is on top of a tiny refrigerator.  At home, it actually sits next to the electric kettle.  We use the electric kettle at home for rapidly boiling water fairly often.  I don't drink a huge amount of tea, but I am married to a woman who comes from the original tea drinking culture, so I have it once in a while.  Tea makes my mouth dry and makes me pee too much, but it works in a pinch.  If I try to go a day without coffee, I get a bad headache.  If I'm in a place where a cup of Joe is hard to find--China, for example--then I'll make due with a few cups of tea just to avoid the headache. 
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2016, 01:23:09 AM »

I agree.  I have noticed it mostly in Central America.  It's weird.  I have been in Guatemala and couldn't find a proper cup of coffee anywhere, even as I was surrounded by coffee-growing plantations.  In that part of the world you have to ask for "café Americano" which is taken to mean strong coffee, brewed properly, with no sugar and no milk.  They have other words for brewed coffee with sugar or with milk or not so strong.  If you want it really strong ask for "café expresso" which is what the eye-talians call Caffè  Espresso.  If they don't have proper coffee, then they'll just shake their heads and say "tenemos Nescafe, nada más."  Really?  We're standing in the middle of a coffee-growing field.  How can you not have proper coffee?

The children that work on the cocoa growing plantations of the Ivory Coast haven't eaten chocolate, either.  It's not that surprising - they're growing that coffee for export.

I don't encounter much instant coffee in Australia, some workplaces have it but the ubiquity of fancy coffee shops renders it unlikely that people aren't close to a take-away with their preferred 'Flat White', or, as the non milk drinkers ask for, the 'Long Black.'  Working for a few years in a really high-volume coffee place, you listen to enough customers tell you how much they know about coffee that by the end of it the last thing I ever want to talk about with anyone, ever again, is anything to do with coffee.  Now I just have a cup every morning at home, and try to remain conscious of the fact that it, along with alcohol, can be one of the biggest wastes of my disposable income.  Being anywhere and craving one of those two things - it will cost ya.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2016, 04:37:46 AM »

I agree.  I have noticed it mostly in Central America.  It's weird.  I have been in Guatemala and couldn't find a proper cup of coffee anywhere, even as I was surrounded by coffee-growing plantations.  In that part of the world you have to ask for "café Americano" which is taken to mean strong coffee, brewed properly, with no sugar and no milk.

Makes me think to British with tea, how come they dare calling tea what they put in their cups, they should call it 'Britisho tea' or something.

I was looking up statistics and found that Minnesota, at least per google, has the strongest interest in coffee.  Even ahead of Washington, home of Starbucks and Seattle's Best.  It makes sense considering that northern Europeans are the heaviest coffee drinkers in the world.  That spread to the new world as well.

Yeah?

Dunno, tended to think the Latin/German divide of Europe tended to work for coffee too.

Coffee for Latins, and whatever for 'Germans'.

At least would work for France which definitely is a coffee nation, and while it's made of a mix of different European influences, notably a mix of Latin and German cultures which obviously makes of it a unique nation enlightening the world, France would remain more Latin than German.

Italy, which I think can reasonably be called Latin, would also definitely be into coffee, and I mean into true coffee. Believe it or not, it's only a few weeks ago that Starbucks managed to open its 1st 'stuff' outhere, Milano. Ma che fai!!

Not sure for Spain, seems in Andalusia they have something for the 'hot chocolate and churros', which I should taste. I can gladly have hot chocolate, but rarely, too sweet.

Haven't Stokholm and Oslo their 'bucks for a while now?

Gosh, I fought my lazyness to make a little search about that, 3 in Stokholm and same in Oslo! And still more if you include suburbs. Then they're not into coffee, they're into 'coffee'.

All in all, there might as well be a Continent/Anglos Europeans divide about that.

We can't even agree about a common drink, how come you want to 'make Europe'...

Recently I was quite happy to have found that stuff:

...in Super U, 4,90€. Took the black one, that fits strong men.

Thinking 'awww I gonna do like Americans'.

Well, I would have quite needed it a few days later, spending a whole day (without personal vehicle) in a city that I didn't know that much by a grey and cold day. But, yay, the stuff was just leaking, then not really keeping the heat, then I walked the streets with half cold stuff in the hand, that I could only put in the bag well wrapped into something. Thank you America. Tongue

Lol, when I entered job agencies and had interviews I did put that on their office, something you wouldn't necessarily do in France, they looked at me in an odd way, some were amused about it and joked though, but not sure it helped, which was the only fancy part of the experiment. Grin

But I wanted/needed something hot in the body!

And I needed wifi, so, I had to surrender, I didn't have much time to make a big search about that, and all people I had asked couldn't answer me, so, heck, I entered...Mc Donald's.

1.99 bloody euro for their double latte, in which I found neither the taste of the coffee than of the latte, which is kinda reassuring in a way, some good old marks stay the same.

Wifi worked at least, but well, since that bloody co-driving apply (supposed to be the 1st one in the world) didn't permit me to text the person I should have came back with, I had to walk back   from Mc Do to the core fo the city, to reach back the bus/train station to thankfully discover I won't have to spend the night in the city, since there was a last bus at 19h40.

If Mc Dos were not that far from the core of small citites in France, if they hadn't proposed wifi, if that bloody American thing had served its purpose, all of this wouldn't have happened! Thank you America. Tongue

And to think that all of this happened in the city in which has been built the new 'Hermione', the La Fayette ship that came to free you from the Brits after you told them you didn't like their tea...

(I managed to fall back on hot drinks, woohoo!!)

Personally, tea hasn't much effect on my prostate, but recently, my father came home, he can't stand the soluble coffee I have (well, with some good organic brown sugar, it's very decent), then when he's here, I have to put this out:

I shared coffee with him, and heck, about at least every hour I had to find a place for an an urge.

And this morning, I finished that coffee, and heck, this time I know where to go, but, it's even less than once in an hour.

The worst for that being...tisane.

You call that 'herbal tea' apparently, not necessarily a correct way to call it but well.

Began with that unsual coffee this morning, and then continued with camomille tisane, so yeah, water doesn't stay a long time in the body this morning...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2016, 07:18:16 AM »

Mostly Aldi.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length