Students: How is your current semester going?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:29:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Students: How is your current semester going?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
FS

HS

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Students: How is your current semester going?  (Read 2691 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:12:38 AM »

FS.

Got a job a few weeks ago, so while I have been working hard I am not nearly as stressed out about future grades as I was before and have done quite well this semester regardless.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 11:13:29 AM »

Horrible Semester, but a necessary one. I've had to learn a lot about myself.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 11:23:09 AM »

Disastrous, tbh
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:39:45 AM »

2nd best semester overall. Most fun for sure but also the most challenging - fortunately that hasn't been a disastrous combo. My offer letter should arrive today too so I'm looking forward to reduced pressure (maybe?) as well.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:57:33 PM »

I'm on co-op and will be returning to school in Jan.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 01:45:49 PM »

In some ways okay, in some ways awful. The like one good thing, my 3.85 mid-term GPA might not stick around by the end of this week. "Personal life" is I guess relatively better and the despondency seems to have been staved off, but we shall see. Fact is, though, gonna be fighting campus and nationals for another year before my retirement from fraternal politics.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 06:23:48 PM »

It was stressful and absolutely frightening, so many things having to go right that could go wrong, friends locked away in their corners

The fact that I'm answering here instead of proudly changing my name to "College Graduate" [mark my works that I won't be a Knight of Appalchia after that] is testament enough to how scary it was.

I passed all the mainline classes and PE with flying colors but:

1. I have no idea if I passed or failed the required exit exam for my major, none at all. It doesn't even matter if literally no one that has taken it has failed...there's a first time for everything.

2. I have two hours transfer credit that needs to, well...transfer.

This leaves me with these outcomes:

A) I graduated as planned!

B) I get every credit hour, but I lack the degree

C) I finish up the major, but I'm short two credit hours

D) I lack the two credits, AND I still have a freaking exam to re-take.

Scenario A is by far and away the most likely, but it isn't 100% in the bag....and I cannot reconcile that, especially considering how badly things have gotten before.

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 07:05:16 PM »

It was a good first quarter (we don't do semesters at my school, unfortunately).  I got A's on all my midterms and assignments, so things went pretty well.  Finals wek was a bit tougher, as I had to take three 3-hour exams all last Monday. Econ and CS went well, but my math final was absolutely brutal, so we'll see how that went. 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 07:06:58 PM »

It was stressful and absolutely frightening, so many things having to go right that could go wrong, friends locked away in their corners

The fact that I'm answering here instead of proudly changing my name to "College Graduate" [mark my works that I won't be a Knight of Appalchia after that] is testament enough to how scary it was.

1. I have no idea if I passed or failed the required exit exam for my major, none at all. It doesn't even matter if literally no one that has taken it has failed...there's a first time for everything.

Out of curiosity, what is your major?  I've never heard of such a thing as a required exit exam for a bachelor's degree......is that a common thing at your school?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 07:35:22 PM »

HS but not nearly the worst one so far. I'm tired of college, but I desperatly need a degree in something so I don't end up working at this packing plant for too long.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 08:36:09 PM »

Out of curiosity, what is your major?  I've never heard of such a thing as a required exit exam for a bachelor's degree......is that a common thing at your school?

A non insignificant handful of schools do it across all majors I believe (at least within a particular college). My department chair has been pushing for that for years, but it's a non starter with the deans.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »

Out of curiosity, what is your major?  I've never heard of such a thing as a required exit exam for a bachelor's degree......is that a common thing at your school?

I know that besides English (my own major), the History department requires it, as does Biology, and Liberal Arts doesn't...and that's all I know.

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »

My Spanish teacher and his Holocaust jokes are certainly keeping things interesting, but otherwise, meh.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 11:15:35 PM »

I'm almost certainly going to fail a class outright and lose my scholarship and/or be put on academic probation because my GPA plunged, so academically it's been a complete disaster.

In a professional sense, it's going really well as my internship is coming to a close. I really enjoyed it, learned a lot, completed a huge number of projects and saw their tangible impact on bettering peoples' lives, made bank, met some great people, and possibly opened up a future job.

I've come to realize how unhealthy (physically, mentally, emotionally, academically) it is to overwork myself working two jobs and taking a full courseload, so I guess it's better to crash and burn early on rather than later. I most likely will be resigning my other in January just to focus on school, because it's becoming unmanageable, and I don't feel the work there is meaningful anymore. They're taking me for granted and I'm becoming a cog in the machine.

Honestly I hate college so much.

Yeah, early gives more time to come back up...but it also has a psychological effect of never being completely confident in anything ever again.

Hence why I am still very nervous about not graduating by a few technicalities that are as likely as a Presidential candidate not getting an Electoral majority again.

Even with the huge gains on my GPA by almost 2 whole numbers...the feeling isn't gone.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 11:51:48 PM »

Three classes down (two final papers, one exam) that I can realistically see being "A's". The exam I have tomorrow morning has a professor that grades on a curve; the last exam I took ended up as a 108-ish since he claimed it would be unfair to re-adjust the curve just because I took the class. So, despite my notes being spotty, I'm confident I can do well. It's realistic I get 90's or above on my last two exams, but I have to give a sh#t. I need three A's and three A-'s for a 3.85, so I think I can do this as long as I don't collapse.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 04:27:40 PM »

Two exams and a paper left.

I've really enjoyed writing the paper (about political myth in the Republic of Venice) and the exams should be easy so not to worried about the rest of the week.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 08:11:18 PM »

The last few weeks have wiped me out.  I've had a ton of work, and today I had an exam that was VERY writing-intensive.  I have another exam on Thursday that will probably be brutal as well.

One of my classes (the one with the upcoming exam) is about black history and is taught by a racist, far-left, anti-American nutcase who supports the Black Lives Matter protesters and thinks that black people should return to Africa.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »

The last few weeks have wiped me out.  I've had a ton of work, and today I had an exam that was VERY writing-intensive.  I have another exam on Thursday that will probably be brutal as well.

One of my classes (the one with the upcoming exam) is about black history and is taught by a racist, far-left, anti-American nutcase who supports the Black Lives Matter protesters and thinks that black people should return to Africa.

If you're serious, why is your professor still here? Or is he/she a white?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 11:53:36 PM »

Been rather terrible; heading to Mansfield was definitely a mistake. I've been trying to campus change early to the Columbus campus of OSU (it's not called "transferring" since I'm technically staying at the same university), and there's a lot of boxes to tick, rather like MormDem (though it's my campus change that's at stake; I'm sure it would be even more frightening if it was my graduation). They've all been ticked, except that my last grade isn't in; for a very difficult class that I ended up not needing (I took it on incorrect information) that I ended up being unable to drop because dropping a class makes you ineligible for the early campus change. I'm teetering between a D+ and a C- (note that my lowest grade besides this course is an A-), and I get the change if I receive the C- and I don't receive it if it's a D+. The particularly frustrating thing is, had I simply not signed up for the class at the beginning of the semester (by researching what classes count for certain degree requirements more thoroughly than my advisor has, for instance), I would have this whole thing in the bag with much less work and much less stress. As such I'm on the edge of my seat.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 12:05:57 AM »

Super happy about my final grades.  Got 2 A's and an A- (along with a pass in a pass/fail class), making my starting GPA 3.89.  Cheesy
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »

Super happy about my final grades.  Got 2 A's and an A- (along with a pass in a pass/fail class), making my starting GPA 3.89.  Cheesy

Angry
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 12:31:00 AM »

I had 5 exams in 7 days and was a physical, mental and emotional wreck for a while, but now I'm done and that means I'm halfway through with law school!

Not going to find out how I did for another two months though. They like to make us suffer.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »

I'm not cooked yet, but right on the line.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »

Update: Scenario 1 did not happen, I passed the Exit Exam.

Now I need the religious transfer credit to work out.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »

FS.
-Kept a 4.0 GPA this year, bringing my cumulative to 3.95
-Got accepted as a delegate to the USSYP
-Just got into a selective university but I'm afraid I can't afford it...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies