Warner or Hillary v. Frist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:30:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Warner or Hillary v. Frist
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Are these predictions reasonable?
Yes, both are.

Only "Warner v. Frist" is.

Only "Hillary v. Frist" is.

None are reasonable.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Warner or Hillary v. Frist  (Read 5073 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2005, 11:01:07 PM »
« edited: May 22, 2005, 11:10:04 PM by nickshepDEM »

I can't find any nationwide polling data for Hillary Clinton, but I seriously doubt over 50% of Americans dislike her.  Heck, something like 40% of NY Republicans approve of her.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2005, 11:01:20 PM »

Gotta' agree with Smash here.  IF Frist actually goes Nuclear... It will be fresh on voters mind come 2008.

Not only that but if healthcare costs keep rising, Clinton's healthcare fiasco may actually work to her benefit (as hard as that might seem) because it could be portrayed as getting the governemnt involved to try to do something to help allieviate the soaring costs (something this adminstration refuses to do
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 11:02:25 PM »

Not only that but if healthcare costs keep rising, Clinton's healthcare fiasco may actually work to her benefit

I would'nt go that far.  She fell falt on her face with that one.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 11:06:06 PM »

I can't find any nationwide polling date for Hillary Clinton, but I seriously doubt over 50% of Americans dislike her.  Heck, something like 40% of NY Republicans approve of her.

Pollingreport.com, has data on her favorability.  Her favorbility isn't excellent, but its positive & not like Phil makes it seem & also favorability doesn't always translate.  For example Bush's favorability ratings for the mst part were better than the post Monica Clinton favorability.  However Clinton's job approval was starkly higher than Bush's.  Hillary I think is underrated.  She is a great campaigner, good speaker, granted a lot of people don't like her, but not as much as Phil & others on the right make it seem & against & utter bore like Frist who has loads of problems of his own, she would eat him alive.  Another problem I see with Frist is how close he is to the administration
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2005, 11:09:17 PM »

Not only that but if healthcare costs keep rising, Clinton's healthcare fiasco may actually work to her benefit

I would'nt go that far.  She fell falt on her face with that one.

Probably a better way I should have said that.  My main point was I doubt the 'Hillarycare' plan will wind up hurting her much in 08 when you look at the very high medical & health costs & the Republicans refusal to do anything about it.  Things like importing drugs from Canada & barganing prices with the government, which have massive support for woulc come back Frist & the GOP in the butt if they try to make something out of Hillarycare
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2005, 05:03:08 AM »

Neither are going to run.

Hillary is understandably worried about the fund raising trial going on, and recognizes that she has more power as a potential nominee, than as a failed candidate.

Frist has just about zero support.  He will eventually realize this.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2005, 07:29:30 AM »

I think both Warner or Hillary would have a good shot of defeating Frist

As far as Hillary's popularity goes, I dare say as many Americans love her as loathe her - and she would be a polarising candidate - but thinking about it, nobbody (in living memory) has been more polarising GWB - and it's never done him any harm. So she could defeat Frist

I've got to admit I'd prefer a Warner nomination, he'd be less polarising - appealing to rural, as well as urban, America - and would defeat Frist

Dave
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 09:13:48 AM »

Frist and Hillary would be a closer race than Allen and Hillary.  Being in Frist's position, there is too much ammunition the Democrats can use against him in the form of video and sound bites.
MissCatholic

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2005, 09:18:24 AM »

Frist needs a personality needs charisma etc. But  he is forming a base which could allow hillary to say its religion vs science.

I`m expecting gay marriage to be put on the ballot in 2006 for rick santorum so perhaps WI, MN and CO will be the next target. Democrats need to keep or gain governors. We need a governor or legislature in Colorado. Republicans are very cunning. so we have to be careful of what we wish for. But i would like frist to get the nomination.

But in terms of motivating me, i want Guiliani - utter scumbag - using 9/11 for political gain. seeing him watch the yankees with mr o`reilly makes me gringe.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 04:40:42 PM »

If Frist keeps going with this Nuclear Option well he will zoom past the Hillary levels & he is just an easy target to be absolutley ripped to shreds on considering what he did to hold up & block votes on Clinton's judges.  Frist has NO SHOT, NONE, NADA, ZILCH

Hate to break it to you but more people will probably remember HillaryCare from '94 in 2008 than Frist's nuclear option.

Umm Not quite

Good argument, hack. Do you know how many people still talk about that fiasco even though it was eleven years ago?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2005, 05:23:12 PM »

If Frist keeps going with this Nuclear Option well he will zoom past the Hillary levels & he is just an easy target to be absolutley ripped to shreds on considering what he did to hold up & block votes on Clinton's judges.  Frist has NO SHOT, NONE, NADA, ZILCH

Hate to break it to you but more people will probably remember HillaryCare from '94 in 2008 than Frist's nuclear option.

Umm Not quite

Good argument, hack. Do you know how many people still talk about that fiasco even though it was eleven years ago?

Can you have an argument without resorting to calling people who don't see the world through Republican rose colored glasses a hack??  I explained my point later in the thread if you bothered to read that far, that the Republicans have massive problems with healthcare themselves the refusual by the adminstration to be able to get drugs from Canada (something Frist agrees with the administration on) the refusual by the administration to have the government bargain prices with the pharamcutical companies (something Frist als sgrees with the administration on) & these are things that the public OVERWELMINGLU spports (75-80% +
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2005, 05:28:34 PM »

Can you have an argument without resorting to calling people who don't see the world through Republican rose colored glasses a hack??  I explained my point later in the thread if you bothered to read that far, that the Republicans have massive problems with healthcare themselves the refusual by the adminstration to be able to get drugs from Canada (something Frist agrees with the administration on) the refusual by the administration to have the government bargain prices with the pharamcutical companies (something Frist als sgrees with the administration on) & these are things that the public OVERWELMINGLU spports (75-80% +

Republican rosed colored glasses? Smash, most would agree that you are clearly a hack. You have pretty much stated that unless the GOP nominates McCain in 2008 than they will lose and lose by a fairly big margin. You're a hack.

Ask someone about Hillarycare. Then see if they approved of it. People remember it, Smash, and don't like it.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2005, 05:59:50 PM »

Republican rosed colored glasses? Smash, most would agree that you are clearly a hack. You have pretty much stated that unless the GOP nominates McCain in 2008 than they will lose and lose by a fairly big margin. You're a hack.

Ask someone about Hillarycare. Then see if they approved of it. People remember it, Smash, and don't like it.

So once agaibn you fail to address my point about the Republican (especially someone connected to the administration as much as Frist is) problems with healthcare.   I haven't pretty much stated that unless theGOP nominates McCain they will lose & lose by alot.   Others could win & if they lose it will probably be fairly close (Roomey, Allen).  What I have said is that their are two Republicans (Santorum & Frist) which I think will have a very tough time winning in 2008.  Stop trying to pretend I am saying the GOP has no chance.  I do think the Dems have an advantage heading into the 2008 election, but I don't think they have it locked up by any stretch of the imagination even if McCain does not get the nod.  However TWO  particular candidates I just think have hardly any chance of winning.
SMOT

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2005, 06:06:02 PM »

Hillary can beat First any day, any time. Hillary could get 300 electoral votes if she runs a good campaign.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2005, 08:54:06 PM »

My certainty about Reps. picking Frist has weakened in light of recent events (BTW, I am going to split my ticket next year and vote for Lindsey Graham, something I've actually been pondering for months...but that clown Sanford needs to go).  I'm thinking there's a 60% chance for Allen, 40% chance for Frist.  Even if Warner and Allen were the candidates (and Warner lost VA) I think he'd be able to eek out a victory.  I'm also very proud that a disproportionately large chunck of those 14 were Southerners (Graham, Landrieu, J. Warner, Byrd, Pryor)!
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2005, 03:23:24 PM »

that clown Krusy needs to go Smiley j/k.  Why don't you like Sanford?  I need to learn more about him in case he runs in 08.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2005, 05:37:27 PM »

that clown Krusy needs to go Smiley j/k.  Why don't you like Sanford?  I need to learn more about him in case he runs in 08.

actually it's "klown" Smiley

Anyway, speaking as a resident of the (fine) Palmetto State, our unemployment rate is high, our economy is stagnant (as well as our population, which would be decreasing if it weren't for the fine Charleston area), and our budget is unbudgeted!  To blame this solely on Sanford, would be asinine, but even if it is the legislature's (or someother entity's) fault, his ability to reckon with said circumstances and those possible entities responsible speaks volumes about his executive aptitude.  Mark Warner inherited deficits and a down-turning economy.  For one reason or another their economy is booming and ours is stagnant.  Mark Warner goes out to people with a blackboard and chalk and talks to them--with numbers, more than rhetoric; Sanford stands on the Capitol steps in the fair city of Columbia with a horse and buggy to convey his rhetoric.  Naturally, clowns don't like numbers, unless it deals with how many of their species can fit into a compact car.  This "klown" thrives on numbers (aspiring chem. and/or math major)!

PS:  Sure, if we nominate Hillary, Feingold, Obama, Kerry (ugggh), Sanford will soundly defeat them.  I'm hoping my party will regain some common sense by the SC Primaries (and listen to us like the Reps. do).
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2005, 05:48:30 PM »

My certainty about Reps. picking Frist has weakened in light of recent events (BTW, I am going to split my ticket next year and vote for Lindsey Graham, something I've actually been pondering for months...but that clown Sanford needs to go). 

Graham isn't up for re-election until 2008.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2005, 07:38:41 PM »

My bad.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2005, 12:02:40 AM »

Actually Bush is probably more at fault than Sanford.  Bush has greatly enlarged the size of government, which, surprise, helps Virginia much more than South Carolina.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2005, 12:02:10 PM »

Actually Bush is probably more at fault than Sanford.  Bush has greatly enlarged the size of government, which, surprise, helps Virginia much more than South Carolina.

I can be the poster child for that.  Smiley  I'm up to 27 contracts which I manage thanks to Homeland Security and the Military.  hehehe
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2005, 11:40:43 PM »

I can be the poster child for that.  Smiley  I'm up to 27 contracts which I manage thanks to Homeland Security and the Military.  hehehe

Shocking you have a VA avitar and not a SC one Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2005, 07:54:46 AM »

Shocking you have a VA avitar and not a SC one Tongue

hehehe . . . and PROUD of it.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2005, 09:39:13 PM »

Well isn't this interesting...

Just a few days ago, I was arguing with nick and Smash about how Hillary Clinton was not popular enough to win the Presidency and that a majority of Americans do not approve of her. Well, I was wrong.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-05-26-hillary-poll_x.htm

Don't know if I can buy that 53% of Americans would vote for her but I still thought it was worth mentioning. Pretty interesting.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2005, 09:40:59 PM »

Well isn't this interesting...

Just a few days ago, I was arguing with nick and Smash about how Hillary Clinton was not popular enough to win the Presidency and that a majority of Americans do not approve of her. Well, I was wrong.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-05-26-hillary-poll_x.htm

Don't know if I can buy that 53% of Americans would vote for her but I still thought it was worth mentioning. Pretty interesting.

Interesting. I'd rather someone else, but if she's at 53%, I might have to support her in the primary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies