Reasonable 2008 maps?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:45:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Reasonable 2008 maps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Are these maps reasonable?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Reasonable 2008 maps?  (Read 5319 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2005, 07:24:50 PM »

It seems unlikely that Santorum would carry Pennsylvania in a presidential election.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2005, 09:05:22 PM »

It seems unlikely that Santorum would carry Pennsylvania in a presidential election.

Especially against Bayh.  Against Hillary Clinton, yes, but surely not Bayh.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2005, 09:45:04 PM »

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, something like this:

Santorum 270
Bayh 268

My guess would be more like this:

Bayh 326
Santorum 212

1) Santorum is likely to carry PA in a Presidential election. Against Evan Bayh - probably not. Against most others - yes. I strongly advise people not to follow someone like Flyers' opinion on this matter. He is convinced that Santorum is despised in this state and that is not the case at all.
2) Bayh vs. Santorum would look a lot like your map except I think Santorum would keep Missouri and Bayh would probably win PA.
3) To address Joe Republic's point, in such a heavily conservative Catholic state like WI, Santorum would be more welcomed and accepted. If Bush can make it that close, Santorum can tip it to the GOP.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2005, 10:23:38 PM »

Hillary vs. Santorum

Santorum - 307
Hillary - 231

Feingold vs. Santorum

Santorum - 281
Feingold - 257

Just two hypothetical matchups for 2008. I think both Clinton and Feingold have great shots at the Democratic nomination and if Santorum is re-elected, he has a decent chance at winning the GOP nomination. The reason why I ask if these maps are reasonable is to see why some can't possibly see Santorum winning the Presidency.

i gotta tell you, keystone, i just dont think Santorum would do quite this good in a national election against either of these candidates. These look like Santorum vs. Rendell maps to me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »

i gotta tell you, keystone, i just dont think Santorum would do quite this good in a national election against either of these candidates. These look like Santorum vs. Rendell maps to me.

Santorum wouldn't do well against Clinton or Feingold but he would do well against Rendell?
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2005, 10:57:10 PM »

1) Santorum is likely to carry PA in a Presidential election. Against Evan Bayh - probably not. Against most others - yes. I strongly advise people not to follow someone like Flyers' opinion on this matter. He is convinced that Santorum is despised in this state and that is not the case at all.
2) Bayh vs. Santorum would look a lot like your map except I think Santorum would keep Missouri and Bayh would probably win PA.
3) To address Joe Republic's point, in such a heavily conservative Catholic state like WI, Santorum would be more welcomed and accepted. If Bush can make it that close, Santorum can tip it to the GOP.

You may be right.  You know a hell of a lot more about the political climate in PA, but home turf advantage is hard to overcome.  Only a handful of nominees have lost their homestate in a presidential election.  Obviously if Santorum was despised as much as Flyers says he is, he would have been tossed out of office by now.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2005, 11:45:52 PM »

Obviously if Santorum was despised as much as Flyers says he is, he would have been tossed out of office by now.

Santorum has only been elected to a single Senate term. The real test of his popularity will be next year, when he's up for reelection.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2005, 11:56:32 PM »

Obviously if Santorum was despised as much as Flyers says he is, he would have been tossed out of office by now.

Santorum has only been elected to a single Senate term. The real test of his popularity will be next year, when he's up for reelection.

Santorum was elected in 1994 and re-elected in 2000.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2005, 11:59:52 PM »

Whoops, forgot about the Wofford election. In that case, I absolutely agree with FuturePrez's point.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2005, 01:36:50 AM »

I will also add the candidates were very weak and Santorum came off as a moderate.  Not true this time around.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2005, 01:39:03 AM »

I will also add the candidates were very weak and Santorum came off as a moderate.  Not true this time around.

The only thing that's different this time is that Santorum is running against the absolute best candidate the Dems had to offer. Against anyone else, he would have won and by a pretty good margin. Stop denying the fact that Santorum is well-liked in PA.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2005, 01:41:28 AM »

39% is not a good approval rating.  Also, most Pennsylvanians oppose Bush's SS privatization plan by a 3-1 margin.  I think Hoeffel or Hafer would have gained ground on him quite rapidly.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2005, 01:43:10 AM »

39% is not a good approval rating.  Also, most Pennsylvanians oppose Bush's SS privatization plan by a 3-1 margin.  I think Hoeffel or Hafer would have gained ground on him quite rapidly.

39% approval? You brought this up before and it still makes no sense. What numbers are you looking at, Flyers? Quinnipiac had him at 48% last time (his lowest in quite some time. He's usually in the mid 50s).

Hoeffel or Hafer would have lost to Santorum by about six points.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2005, 01:55:21 AM »

It seems reasonable to assume that Santorum is despised by about half of Pennsylvania, given the evenly divided nature of the state.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wisconsin is no a heavily conservative state, obviously, or it would never have gone to Kerry over Bush.  You are quite wrong about Santorum making anything closer than Bush - Bush was the high water mark of the fake-patriotism/'war on terror'/religious mania tide.  Santorum is basically a slightly creepy nobody by comparison.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2005, 01:57:11 AM »

It seems reasonable to assume that Santorum is despised by about half of Pennsylvania, given the evenly divided nature of the state.

Not when his approval ratings are usually in the mid 50s.

Roll Eyes
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2005, 01:59:01 AM »

Roll Eyes

Surely you cannot deny that Bush's appeal, gravitas, national standing, etc, in 2004 are enormously greater than Santorum's would be in 2008.[/quote]
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2005, 02:02:21 AM »

Roll Eyes

Surely you cannot deny that Bush's appeal, gravitas, national standing, etc, in 2004 are enormously greater than Santorum's would be in 2008.
[/quote]

1) You believe wrong. They are usually between 52-56%.
2) Kerry won WI last year on the jobs issue. That probably won't be as big of an issue in '08. A social conservative like Santorum can take the state.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2005, 02:16:51 AM »

Plus being Catholic will help him in Wisconsin. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2005, 02:46:23 AM »

2) Kerry won WI last year on the jobs issue. That probably won't be as big of an issue in '08. A social conservative like Santorum can take the state.

Why would the growing dearth of jobs and the falling pay of those that do exist matter less in 2008?  It is a continuing trend. 

Though I do agree with you in the sense that I believe that once middle-class jobs are a distant memory rather than an immediate sense of loss the GOP economy will be less of an issue - West Virginia is the perfect example of this:  the state keeps getting poorer, but it also votes more self-destructively. 
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2005, 03:07:49 PM »

Opebo, if you think the economy will still be a problem in 2008, you really have no idea how economics work in the real world.  Economies go up and down, it's a fact of life and no macroeconomic policy will ever change that.  Barring another 9-11 style attack, the economy will be much stronger in 2008 than it was in 2004.  It's just the way things go.  Maybe one of your Thai hookers could give you a lesson because I'm sure they feel the effects of a down economy Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies