Arizona governor renegs on budget deal.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:18:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arizona governor renegs on budget deal.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arizona governor renegs on budget deal.  (Read 1161 times)
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2005, 08:17:56 PM »

Don't listen to the typical Tucson spin on this article's title.  Queen Janet makes a deal with the legislature and then vetos the part they they wanted that they previously agreed upon!  Yet another reason to get rid of her.

Article link here

Governor vetoes tuition tax credit

GOP leaders broke budget deal, Democrat Napolitano says

C.T. REVERE
Tucson Citizen

RENEE BRACAMONTE/Tucson Citizen

Gov. Janet Napolitano said the budget is good, even though she vetoed a tuition tax credit. 
Gov. Janet Napolitano vetoed a tuition tax credit for corporations today because Republican legislative leaders failed to uphold their end of a budget deal.
The governor, a Democrat, killed the bill that would benefit corporations that donate to private schools because Republican leaders failed to include Democrats in negotiations over how to fund English-language instruction for Spanish-speaking students, as required by the 1992 Flores v. Arizona lawsuit.

"I'm going to veto the Flores bill, and I'm going to veto the tuition tax credit because, in my view, reaching an agreement on Flores was part of the budget for which I bargained the tuition tax credits," Napolitano said told the Tucson Citizen yesterday. "They didn't agree to Flores and rammed it down everybody's throat at the last minute."

Republican leaders reacted angrily to her actions.

Tim Bee, Sendate Majority Leader, said the veto has cost Napolitano the credibility she once enjoyed with Republican rivals.

"If she would have signed the tax credits, the leadership would have moved forward in good faith to negotiate the Flores deal. Now we have to wonder if this is something we can count on if we make this deal. We gave her what she wanted. We gave her all-day kindergarten and the medical campus and she’s done this? How do we know that she won’t just veto it again?"

Napolitano signed most of the other bills that make up the $8.2 billion budget today.

"It's got the things I wanted us to invest in and even more so. Overall, it's a good budget," she said.

She said the Legislature will probably need a special session to resolve the conflict.

"That would be a logical scenario. But it would have to be something where they've worked it out ahead of time," she said, vowing no repeat of a 57-day special session last year to fund Child Protective Services.

The Citizen did not contact Republican lawmakers for comment as part of an agreement with Napolitano to not release her remarks until publication time today. However, after she met with some of the Republic leaders, the Citizen contacted Bee for a response.

He said Napolitano has changed her story about what the compromise was based upon.

"The deal with corporate tuition tax credits revolved around the all-day kindergarten and the Phoenix medical campus run by the UA," Bee said. "There was never any connection in the negotiations between the tax credits and Flores and this is somewhat disingenuous to be linking them now."

Bee, who had not met with Napolitano or other Republican leaders, said he believes Napolitano is backpeddling because her decision to surrender the tax credits brought her criticism.

"It appears to me that the governor has taken some heat for compromising on tax credits and is looking for a way out."

Napolitano, who has repeatedly cited public education as her priority, gave conservative GOP leaders their wish on corporate tax credits for donations to private schools in exchange for their approval of funding for all-day kindergarten, a new University of Arizona medical school in Phoenix and other budget goals. Both Democrats and moderate Republicans criticized Napolitano for making the
compromise, which would siphon up to $5 million annually out of the state's general fund, which pays for public schools.

"It was part of the original understanding, and I know there's some heartburn about it, but the thing is, that was a deal," she said.

Republican leaders held the Flores bill out of the budget package and told Napolitano they would negotiate a dollar amount with Democrats, she said.

"They did not, in fact, negotiate," she said. "They will say they had meetings, but what in fact happened is, the Democrats came in with option, option, option, and they never moved from their original position. They had no negotiation session at all."

She declined to suggest a funding level for Flores, insisting that lawmakers from both parties need to shape the bill.

"I don't want to say right now in part because people like Sen. Linda Aguirre, who have spent a great part of their lives on this issue, need to have the opportunity to take a leadership role," she said.

Napolitano doesn't expect to have a budget without the corporate tax credit.

"You've got more Republican legislators who want that tax credit more than anything else, including some of your Republicans from down south. Tim Bee, for example," she said. "This is a big deal, and in a Legislature that is controlled by the right wing of the Republican Party, you're not going to get something for nothing."

Bee said Napolitano could simply let the courts make a decision on how much money is needed to fund English-language education and back out of her deal on tax credits.

"She could allow the court to say the Legislature and the executive failed to act on this and put a court monitor on it to deal with it. Then she wouldn’t have to deal with corporate tax credits at all," he said.

Another bill Napolitano is likely to veto would deny illegal immigrants child-care subsidies, adult classes and other government-funded benefits.

"I've got to look closely at some of the tax bills, and they have a meth bill they sent me, and I'm waiting to hear from (Attorney General) Terry Goddard about what he wants to recommend on that," she said.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 10:47:46 AM »

You're cottect.

The Citizen has turned into a left-wing rag.

Most people who subscribe to or buy it at a newstand do so because it has better comic strips than the Star.

At the current rate, wirhwe Gannett will do a drastic makeover in the next few years of it, sell it, or let it fold.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 02:17:52 AM »

Probably sell it so they can sell more of the wonderful Arizona Republic down there Tongue

What part of the Old Pueblo do you live in Carl?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 04:42:16 AM »

Lets just say I can walk to DM in minutes.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 12:03:09 AM »

Cool, I've only been there once.  I'm going to try again sometime soon.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies