Gay/Lesbian vote historically (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:52:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Gay/Lesbian vote historically (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay/Lesbian vote historically  (Read 10086 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: December 05, 2015, 07:45:52 PM »

2008 can obviously be explained by Lindsey Graham getting John McCain some votes...no racism here
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »

I wonder whats the demographic profile of those 30% of gays who vote for the GOP candidate. My guess is that some of it is trolling/checked the box by mistake. While the rest are probably either wealthy gays OR gays that are quite religious.
Why? There are LGBT people who don't think that's what primarily defines their political identity, you know.

Yes, I know the type. Utterly intolerable. Pretentious snobs who have gobs of money because they never had kids, have good careers, and are just "mee mee mee mee" all the way home! (...) they just want their civil rights, but don't want to contribute to the society that makes that and all of their highfalutin' possible.
The idea that LGBT people should automatically vote Democratic just because they are LGBT seems pretty offensive. Perhaps it doesn't work like that in the world of intersectionality, but LGBTs, too, have the right to define their politics themselves. Being LGBT and in favor of same-sex marriage doesn't mean one automatically has to make that a decisive factor when voting.

Of course someone of any sexual orientation is free to vote/donate/protest/lobby as the please.  I think many of us came at this with the assumption that, all else being equal, we would expect gay people to have the same voting patterns as black people in the South or natives living on reservation land.  It's interesting that they don't view their historical oppression or need for government services as being anywhere near that level.

Who would be need government services anymore than others. We're not completely helpless, unable to fend for ourselves.

A+, response btw, David. For once, we are in complete agreement.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »

That is also pretty easy to explain in that she is (was?) somehow a gay icon even though she doesn't seek to be. That image has most likely collapsed among younger voter who were not in high school/college during the 90s. These voters actually care about policy to an obscene degree and are offended by DADT, etc while Bernie was "fully supportive"!

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/23/hillary-is-no-gay-icon.html
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 05:04:19 PM »

Saying they are terrible people if they don't vote Democrat is the same exact thing as saying they should automatically vote Democrat since it's the only way they can act good...

Many people rationalize Republican economics as something beneficial for everyone. You and I may not view it like that but plenty do, and there is a lot of good reasoning behind that. Certainly a lot better than social democracy in the long run.

And once again, it seems that this board needs to be reminded that making money and protecting it is not a bad thing. Of course. - Everyone is greedy in any economic system. Don't know why we should demonize people who act as such.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 11:45:39 PM »

Yea, I'm "sick" because I disagree with you. Makes total sense Roll Eyes

Democrats have always been quite sick indeed which is why I refuse to identify as such. The idea of competing goods has never even occurred to most of them! No wonder no one can even stand to be around them - they are always right on every topic and refuse to associate with anyone who isn't exactly the same. Ironic, seeing as they call out many GOPers for behaving similarly (except the GOPers don't necessarily base it on intangible philosophies).

Didn't someone post the OKCupid ideology matching on here which proved just that?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »

Yea, I'm "sick" because I disagree with you. Makes total sense Roll Eyes

Stephen Makes a good point about the nonsense about that argument, except with African Americans instead of LGBT   , :

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/stephen-a-smith-wishes-every-black-american-would-vote-gop-for-one-election/

Part of the reason I'm Republican (other than agreeing with them on 80% of issues) is because contrary to popular belief, Republicans aren't going anywhere and more good can be done by changing the party from within, rather than just defecting to the other side. 

Incredible! I've been saying this for years. +1
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 05:41:56 PM »

I wonder whats the demographic profile of those 30% of gays who vote for the GOP candidate. My guess is that some of it is trolling/checked the box by mistake. While the rest are probably either wealthy gays OR gays that are quite religious.
Why? There are LGBT people who don't think that's what primarily defines their political identity, you know.

Yes, I know the type. Utterly intolerable. Pretentious snobs who have gobs of money because they never had kids, have good careers, and are just "mee mee mee mee" all the way home! (...) they just want their civil rights, but don't want to contribute to the society that makes that and all of their highfalutin' possible.
The idea that LGBT people should automatically vote Democratic just because they are LGBT seems pretty offensive. Perhaps it doesn't work like that in the world of intersectionality, but LGBTs, too, have the right to define their politics themselves. Being LGBT and in favor of same-sex marriage doesn't mean one automatically has to make that a decisive factor when voting.
I find the idea of a fellow gay voting for a Republican who hates them for who they are... to be idiotic and reprehensible.

Important clarifier. There aren't too many of those.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 01:03:29 PM »

As a another Log Cabin Republican, I must say that I am so amused that the far-left gets so riled up about some LGBT people voting R.

I agree, it strikes me as funny.

Going against their self interests is kind of odd. Even the former GOProud founder left because the GOP has become anti-gay.

It really strikes me as funny to be told what my self-interest is by others, especially when I was just told earlier in this thread that people ought to reject their self-interest (re: economics, which I already find debatable as most policies are not zero-sum but helpful for everyone or no one) unless they want to be disgusting, selfish pigs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies