How West Virginia has turned to a GOP stronghold?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:07:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How West Virginia has turned to a GOP stronghold?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: How West Virginia has turned to a GOP stronghold?  (Read 17587 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2016, 12:06:02 AM »

The free market is the only way to get out of any economic hole.

Right, but sometimes people need help, or the economy needs a jump-start. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with lending a hand for a short while, then letting go when they can take over. For the recession, people needed help - Not persistent, lasting help, but at least some for the next couple years, whether it was in the form of jobs or whatever. Otherwise, you just unnecessarily prolong their suffering based on ideological preferences, rather than for any useful purpose.

Temporary assistance (such as a jobs program) and adhering to free market principles long-term are not mutually exclusive.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2016, 12:07:06 AM »

The free market is the only way to get out of any economic hole.

Right, but sometimes people need help, or the economy needs a jump-start. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with lending a hand for a short while, then letting go when they can take over. For the recession, people needed help - Not persistent, lasting help, but at least some for the next couple years, whether it was in the form of jobs or whatever. Otherwise, you just unnecessarily prolong their suffering based on ideological preferences, rather than for any useful purpose.

I'm all for helping the less fortunate even through government programs, but there's a big difference between that and what the Democrats want to be done.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2016, 12:10:36 AM »

I'm all for helping the less fortunate even through government programs, but there's a big difference between that and what the Democrats want to be done.

Well I don't want to get into a debate about the Democratic party platform, but I was just saying for the government to go into Appalachia and retrain workers, attract businesses through various means, invest in infrastructure development for jobs/the economy, all to boost the prosperity and growth of the area, should be something that is acceptable to both parties, regardless of how they view the free market.

For some reason modern day Republicans just don't like investment programs like this. I always assumed it was for fiscal reasons (even if they are OK with deficit-busting tax break initiatives ).
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2016, 12:14:43 AM »

Well I don't want to get into a debate about the Democratic party platform, but I was just saying for the government to go into Appalachia and retrain workers, attract businesses through various means, invest in infrastructure development for jobs/the economy, all to boost the prosperity and growth of the area, should be something that is acceptable to both parties, regardless of how they view the free market.

For some reason modern day Republicans just don't like investment programs like this. I always assumed it was for fiscal reasons (even if they are OK with deficit-busting tax break initiatives ).

This isn't the thread to debate spending, I agree.  I'd be happy to discuss not necessarily debate this on an economics thread though.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2016, 04:45:55 PM »

Declining turnout-I recall seeing in a chart that West Virginia had the biggest turnout decline of state in the Union. For reference see this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/opinion/sunday/who-turned-my-blue-state-red.html?_r=0

blargahaha blargaga blarha turnout blah blah blah

Im starting to get sick of hearing this word.

Complaining about turnout as why democrats didnt win is not just overused but absurd.

Care to actually explain?

Obama's approval in the state is an average of 33.5% against a 62% disapproval.

Obama got 35.45% of votes in the state in 2012.

The idea that any state can be won if only there was higher turnout!!! is stupid considering that Obama has a 62% disapproval in the state. 
I saw one poll from 2014 that showed Obama with just 22.6% approval in WV.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies