Future of Schengen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:35:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Future of Schengen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Future of Schengen?  (Read 814 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »

Do you think the latest chaos mArks the end of the dream of borderless travel? Something has to change about the situation, of course.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »

I'm doubtful of the future of the EU in general but yes, specifically I do believe that the Schengen Area will be one of the first institutions to be impacted by recent happenings.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 04:11:39 PM »

God.. just imagine summer time at the German/French border or the French/Spanish border.  Driving and vacations abroad have increased so much since Schengen went into effect.

Sometimes I forget how fortunate we are in the U.S. that despite being a rather monolithic culture... we have such a massive landmass and varied climates/natural surroundings.  You can vacation on a tropical beach or ski in some of the best conditions without leaving the country.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »

God.. just imagine summer time at the German/French border or the French/Spanish border.  Driving and vacations abroad have increased so much since Schengen went into effect.

Sometimes I forget how fortunate we are in the U.S. that despite being a rather monolithic culture... we have such a massive landmass and varied climates/natural surroundings.  You can vacation on a tropical beach or ski in some of the best conditions without leaving the country.

Which is also why I can't see the EU oor Schengen collapse, they can change but collapse no, at least not permanent, there's simply too many people who have seen the benefits of open borders. What's more likely is that some countries access to the Schengen is suspended until they succesful closer their outer borders, but the economic loss with the collapse of the Schengen (especially between Germany, France and Benelux) means that I can't see a complete collapse. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:37:48 PM »

Something has to change about the situation, of course.

Pasport checks between NY and NJ, of course, would be equally desirable. Fortunately, much of the border follows an easily defendable course.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 06:44:57 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2015, 06:46:54 PM by CrabCake the Liberal Magician »

That's why I think the Euro border needs to be a joint project. It's stupid as hell that we force the Southern and Eastern states to deal with the border alone.

SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 09:16:05 PM »

The entire Schengen Area should be scrapped, and all European countries should go back to having border controls. Countries need to have borders, and they need to be able to control those borders.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »

The entire Schengen Area should be scrapped, and all European countries should go back to having border controls. Countries need to have borders, and they need to be able to control those borders.
Exactly this. Also lol @ the "holidays" argument. It was not so hard to carry a passport and show it at the border, and the "freedom" not to do so is certainly not worth the loss of sovereignty and the security risks.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 05:36:09 AM »

Suspend indefinitely. An extra half hour on a journey is the only cost and it applies to everyone equally.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 06:24:09 AM »

If you can't have free movement of workers, then there shouldn't be free movement of capital.
If you don't have those elements, you can say goodbye to the single market.
If you say goodbye to the single market, you will allow protectionists to rise in order to compensate for the huge loss of demand in countries like Germany and France.
When you allow protectionists to rise, you become self-aware of the limitations of your country's primary resources.
You then decide to wage wars in order to acquire primary resources.

Schengen just needs passport checks, and stronger external borders. Scrap it and you will repeat history again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies