Governor Ehrlich to veto Wal-Mart health bill.

(1/3) > >>

Moooooo:
From the Baltimore Sun:

Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. plans to veto a bill tomorrow that would force Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to pay more for its employees' health care, saying jobs could be at risk if the legislation becomes law.

He will travel to Princess Anne in Somerset County to sign the veto, a move designed to highlight "the county expected to suffer most largely from the passage of the bill," according to a news release.

But state officials now say they expect the retail giant to build a distribution center in Somerset County - even if the legislature overrides the veto - because of the incentives Maryland has provided and the market opportunity Maryland presents.

I posted a topic a few months ago regarding the Maryland State Legislature passing a bill that require WalMart and employers with 8,000+ employees to spend at least 8% of payroll on health care.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=19710.0

TheresNoMoney:
Wal-Mart trains its employees how to apply for Medicaid and food stamps, pretty pathetic.

Wal-Mart costs taxpayers money by having to subsidize their employees.

Moooooo:
I just wanted to give you guys a little update.  Some of you may remember I posted a topic on this when the legislature originally passed the bill.  There was a little discussion regarding an Ehrlich veto, and it seems like he's actually going to go through with it.

Side note:  Ehrlich may get away with this veto, but he will not get away with a veto on the minimum wage increase.  If he vetoes both... He's done.

Richard:
It would be nice if he could veto this.  Better if both could be vetoed....

Richard:
Quote from: Scoonie on May 18, 2005, 11:27:55 AM

Wal-Mart costs taxpayers money by having to subsidize their employees.

Look birdbrain, if you believe that and don't like that, maybe you should be against welfare.  I don't get why you're complaining about something you seem to support.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page