Canada 2006 (23rd Jan)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:23:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2006 (23rd Jan)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26
Author Topic: Canada 2006 (23rd Jan)  (Read 93940 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: January 25, 2006, 08:20:47 AM »

Interesting; what would the Manitoba numbers be if you add the I-NDP vote to the NDP vote?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #601 on: January 25, 2006, 08:48:08 AM »

Interesting; what would the Manitoba numbers be if you add the I-NDP vote to the NDP vote?
Unless that's 5.2 points or more out of the 5.8% other in Man, no effect. The NDP would outpoll the Liberals, but that's irrelevant.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #602 on: January 25, 2006, 09:01:30 AM »

By the way Al, you said that Outremont might not even be the NDP's best result in Québec. It was. But can you guess what the second best was - and their only second place here, too?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #603 on: January 25, 2006, 09:13:56 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2006, 02:08:03 PM by Jean Chrétien »

Eastern Ontario
Tory 7 (-6)
Liberal 6 (+3)
NDP 3 (+2)
Green 1 (+1)

Inner Toronto
Liberal 5 (-2)
NDP 3
Tory 2 (+2)

Etobicoke - York - Scarborough
Liberal 8 (-5)
Tory 3 (+3)
NDP 2 (+2)

Markham - Oshawa
Liberal 6 (-1)
Tory 4
NDP 1 (+1)

Mississauga - Brampton
Liberal 6 (-3)
Tory 5 (+1)
NDP 1 (+1)

Hamilton - Niagara
Tory 3 (-1)
Liberal 3 (+2)
NDP 2 (-1)
Liberals got reamed by fptp in this little corner of the world.

London - Windsor
Tory 6 (-2)
Liberal 5 (+2)
NDP 3

Simcoe - Kitchener - Lake Huron
Tory 5 (-2)
Liberal 4
NDP 2 (+2)

Northern Ontarion
Liberal 4 (-3)
NDP 3 (+1)
Tory 3 (+2)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #604 on: January 25, 2006, 09:24:31 AM »

It's time for a boring, staid, unexciting Prime minister, I think. I wish we could have swapped, Pul Martin, despite his flaws, would've been better then Howard.

I got up at 7am on Tuesday morning all ready to watch the CBC coverage online...and my net was down...all day...and almost all of wednesday...sigh. Oh well, I'll get another chance around about March 2007, methinks.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #605 on: January 25, 2006, 09:46:41 AM »

By the way Al, you said that Outremont might not even be the NDP's best result in Québec. It was. But can you guess what the second best was - and their only second place here, too?

Hmm... IIRC the only two good showings outside Montreal were Hull-Aylmer (15%) and Manicouagan (12%)... so it'd have to be a Montreal riding... hmm... I'll take a guess at one of the other inner-Montreal ridings as they're the only ones where the party has a little bit of organisation... so... either Laurier-Sainte-Marie or Westmount-Ville-Marie. Both are very different ridings in most respects o/c...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #606 on: January 25, 2006, 09:53:53 AM »

Hmm... IIRC the only two good showings outside Montreal were Hull-Aylmer (15%) and Manicouagan (12%)... so it'd have to be a Montreal riding... hmm... I'll take a guess at one of the other inner-Montreal ridings as they're the only ones where the party has a little bit of organisation... so... either Laurier-Sainte-Marie or Westmount-Ville-Marie. Both are very different ridings in most respects o/c...
Laurier.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #607 on: January 25, 2006, 10:12:38 AM »

No time to finish this today.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #608 on: January 25, 2006, 10:18:44 AM »

Ah... Duceppe's riding... and one of very, very few BQ strongholds to not vote for the Mulroney Tories in the '80's. Talking of Quebec Tories, I've looked at a map, and it seems that they took all the ridings in Quebec city proper but one!

Best NDP % nationally was Winnipeg North IIRC
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #609 on: January 25, 2006, 12:51:44 PM »

How that Martin's resigned, who will be the next liberal leader?

I don't really know.  I'm personally hoping it'll be Keith Martin or Belinda Stronach or someone like that, but I have no idea who actually is a serious contender.

Wasn't Belinda a conservative a few years ago?  I seem to remember it that way, but her website says she joined the liberal government in May.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #610 on: January 25, 2006, 01:05:30 PM »

Wasn't Belinda a conservative a few years ago?  I seem to remember it that way, but her website says she joined the liberal government in May.

Yeah, she crossed the floor because she didn't want an early election etc. To be fair to her, she was always very much a wet anyway...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #611 on: January 25, 2006, 01:28:33 PM »

And people are seriously suggesting her as a Liberal leader already? (shakes head)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #612 on: January 25, 2006, 02:17:20 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2006, 03:14:25 PM by Jean Chrétien »

Calgary
Tory 6 (-2)
Liberal 1 (+1)
NDP 1 (+1)

Edmonton
Tory 5 (-3)
Liberal 2 (+2)
NDP 1 (+1)

Rural Alberta
Tory 10 (-2)
NDP 1 (+1)
Liberal 1 (+1).
That's right, the NDP outpolled the Grits in rural Alberta...and pulled less than twice the Greens' share. Cheesy

British Columbia Interior
Tory 7 (-4)
NDP 3 (+1)
Liberal 3 (+3)

Vancouver Island
NDP 3
Tory 2
Liberal 1. Yeah, no change! Of course it was very close with the 3rd Dipper vs the 2nd Liberal.

Greater Vancouver
Liberal 6 (-2)
Tory 6 (+2)
NDP 5
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #613 on: January 25, 2006, 03:18:57 PM »

So, using this system...
CPC 120 (-4)
LP 99 (-4)
NDP 53 (+24)
BQ 34 (-17)
Greens 2 (+2)
i 0 (-1)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #614 on: January 25, 2006, 03:19:56 PM »

And people are seriously suggesting her as a Liberal leader already? (shakes head)

No.  I just happen to like her.  I have no real clue who the actual frontrunners for the Liberal leadership are.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #615 on: January 25, 2006, 09:17:36 PM »

Laurier.

Laurier was the NDP's best riding in Quebec last election. Too bad there's no chance of winning it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #616 on: January 25, 2006, 09:18:24 PM »

RENAME THIS YORK-DURHAM IMMEDIATELY, PRUDE
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #617 on: January 26, 2006, 10:28:16 AM »

The problem with "York" is that "York" seems to be everywhere in and around Toronto. Smiley But I haven't got a clue what else to put for those northern and western Toronto suburbs either ... Durham - Oshawa?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #618 on: January 26, 2006, 10:34:37 AM »

Oshawa, Whitby, Pickering et al are all in the Durham Region (I forget the official naming of local government stuff in Ontario, but it changes all the time so...)... the affluent suburbs north of Toronto are the York Region IIRC.
Local government in Ontario is even more messed up than over here...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #619 on: January 27, 2006, 01:28:26 AM »

York-Durham is the best name, because York Region is north of Toronto and Durham Region is east of Toronto. Hence why I suggested it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #620 on: January 27, 2006, 07:46:54 AM »

York-Durham is the best name, because York Region is north of Toronto and Durham Region is east of Toronto. Hence why I suggested it.
Yeah, but of the many seats that have York in their name, only one (York-Simcoe) is - barely - in this region; all the others are in Etobicoke - Scarborough. Hence why I'm reluctant to follow up on the suggestion...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #621 on: January 27, 2006, 07:55:42 AM »

Just thinking, but the Toronto area does have some very Yorkshire names; "Pickering-Scarborough East" anyone?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #622 on: January 27, 2006, 12:03:32 PM »

Yeah, but of the many seats that have York in their name, only one (York-Simcoe) is - barely - in this region; all the others are in Etobicoke - Scarborough. Hence why I'm reluctant to follow up on the suggestion...

Toronto hasn't been part of York in 30 years. Get over it. The York's in Toronto have been amalgamated into the city for 5 years now. York is a far better name than signalling out one town (Markham -- yes it is a town, not a city) which is not even the hub of the area. Take it from me, an expert in Canadian geography that the best name would be York-Durham.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #623 on: January 27, 2006, 12:06:21 PM »

Toronto hasn't been part of York in 30 years. Get over it. The York's in Toronto have been amalgamated into the city for 5 years now. York is a far better name than signalling out one town (Markham -- yes it is a town, not a city) which is not even the hub of the area. Take it from me, an expert in Canadian geography that the best name would be York-Durham.
They should rename the ones in Toronto maybe, to make it less confusing to us foreigners. Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #624 on: January 27, 2006, 01:00:02 PM »

They should rename the ones in Toronto maybe, to make it less confusing to us foreigners. Wink

Roll Eyes In Toronto there (was) the boroughs of North York, East York, and York. The names reflect this, however if we are using bigger districts, than it's ok to use York for York-Durham. It is common in Canada to use the same word in more than one districts. For example, there is Bruce-Grey and Simcoe-Grey. 
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies