Would Nixon have won in '60 had there been no voter fraud? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:01:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Would Nixon have won in '60 had there been no voter fraud? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

I don't know enough about the election

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Would Nixon have won in '60 had there been no voter fraud?  (Read 3290 times)
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« on: November 12, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »

There was voter fraud going on in both camps in Illinois in 1960.  It is impossible to know who would have won the state in a "fair" election.

And, of course, Kennedy probably would have won states like Mississippi, Florida, and Virginia if African Americans weren't being systematically disenfranchised. 

So, in my opinion, to say that Nixon was the legitimate winner in 1960 is wrong.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »

And, of course, Kennedy probably would have won states like Mississippi, Florida, and Virginia if African Americans weren't being systematically disenfranchised. 

I could be wrong about this (and please correct me if I am), but weren't Southern blacks still opposed to the Democratic Party until 1964?

Kennedy won blacks nationally 62-38 over Nixon, and I would be surprised if Southern blacks had substantially different preferences from Northern ones.  Northern blacks had been voting for Democrats for 28 years by this point too.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »

There was voter fraud going on in both camps in Illinois in 1960.  It is impossible to know who would have won the state in a "fair" election.

So, in my opinion, to say that Nixon was the legitimate winner in 1960 is wrong.

You think Southern Democrats kept Blacks from voting for their party's nominee so that Eisenhower's VP could become President?

Did either of us say that?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 05:43:46 PM »

You think Southern Democrats kept Blacks from voting for their party's nominee so that Eisenhower's VP could become President?

Did either of us say that?

You certainly implied Southern Blacks would have been a sure vote for Kennedy in those states.  And the ones systematically disenfranchising them were Democrats who would have clearly preferred Kennedy to Nixon in 1960.

It's not as if Southern Democrats could've gone "lol I'm going to enfranchise blacks to ensure Kennedy gets elected".  The potential social and political effects of enfranchising black Democrats were viewed by Southern whites (who, yes, were also Democrats more often than not) as much more threatening to the Southern white supremacist institution than letting a conservative Republican win an election and any Southerner, Republican or Democrat, who suggested otherwise was in danger both on an electoral and personal level.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies