Headquarters of the Presiding Officer (It is done...)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:24:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Headquarters of the Presiding Officer (It is done...)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Headquarters of the Presiding Officer (It is done...)  (Read 3805 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2015, 07:14:39 PM »
« edited: May 13, 2016, 07:42:53 PM by Senator Truman »

Headquarters of the Presiding Officer

To all those who stumble upon this thread, Welcome. With the resignation of P.O. Cris, I have assumed office as Presiding Officer of this Convention and will use this thread as my headquarters. Here you will find answers to procedural questions, announcements pertaining to Convention business, and other official reminders and observations. Please feel free to leave your comments, questions, and criticisms (or praise) here and I will do my best to respond to you.

Long Live the Republic!

Harry S Truman, Presiding Officer

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 07:33:04 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2016, 11:13:45 PM by Senator Truman »

Drafting a Constitution - Convention Noticeboard

The Federal Government
The Judicial Branch: Supreme Court
Since: 3/31/16

The Executive Branch: President, Vice President, etc.
Since: 2/20/16

The Legislature: Structure, Size, Elections
Since: 1/18/16

The Regions
The Regional System
Since: 1/11/16

Other
Miscellaneous Articles
Since: 5/10/16

Bill of Rights
Since: 4/12/16

Statute Reboot (Legislative Blank Slate)
Since: 12/7/15

Principle Votes

COMPLETED
Should Secession be Legal?    YES
Number of Regions?    THREE (3)
Should we keep the VP?    YES
Bicameral Legislature?    YES
Repeal all Federal Laws?    YES
Repeal all Regional Laws?    YES
Basis for new statute?    Current (2015) US Statute
Congressional Powers?    See List
Senatorial elections...?    Let the Regions decide
Regional Nomenclature?    Let the Regions decide
Number of Reps?    NINE (9)
Fluctuating Membership?    NO
House Elections?    At-Large
Separate VP Elections?    NO
Presidential Term?    Four Months
Term Limits?    NO
Presidential Powers?    See List
SC Bench?    Fixed Bench
Court Structure?    Plan "C" (Bore-Kingpoleon Plan)
Retention?    Plan "A"
Bill of Rights?    See List
Amendments?    Plan "D" (Status Quo)
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 11:31:14 PM »

HEADQUARTERS of the PRESIDING OFFICER
November 24, 2015

By the authority vested in me by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia as Presiding Officer of the Constitutional Convention, I hereby appoint the Honorable Leinad of Georgia to the post of Deputy Presiding Officer of this Convention.

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 03:31:30 AM »

Thanks for the appointment, Presiding Officer Truman! This convention hasn't been disastrous so far, despite the naysayers, which I'm glad for, and I look forward to helping to continue that.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »

A Message from your Presiding Officer

Hello All,
In response to a message from one of my fellow delegates, I feel that I should clarify a particular aspect of my policy towards debates as P.O., specifically those items proposed for discussion in the Proposals Thread.

When my predecessor was P.O., he set about opening threads on every topic posed in the Proposals Thread as soon as it was proposed. This created a situation that several delegates found confusing, with multiple simultaneous conversations going on across the board. Several of the delegates (Duke, PiT, Oakvale) voiced these concerns to me on this board and asked that we focus on one issue at a time. As no-one objected to this proposal, I decided not to open any new threads for debate until the current discussions on Congress and the Regions had been resolved. There have been no questions about this policy until now, so I did not feel the need to clarify this policy formally.

If the Convention would prefer that we take on more issues at once, I would be happy to oblige - my actions in this regard thus far have been governed by what I thought were the desires of the Convention, and should those desires change my policy will change as well. I should note that many of the suggestions in the Proposals Thread have been dealt with in one way or another in the last two months: for example, Griffin's proposal for an "adopted text" thread has already been implemented and RGN's call for a consideration of the military is under discussion in the Federal Powers thread. Windjammer's request that we consider the number of offices that one person may hold is one that I think would best be addressed in the ongoing thread relating to the Legislative System (I have begun work on an amendment on this issue).

On another note, activity has sagged in recent weeks, due no doubt to the onset of the holiday season and the strain of final exams. Once the current tumult has passed, however, it will be time for everyone to re-commit to this project. Deputy P.O. Leinad and myself have been discussing plans for the New Year, and I will expect everyone to resume their usual activity in 2016.
Happy Holidays,

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:09:16 PM »

A Message from your Presiding Officer

Fellow Delegates,
The ball has dropped and a New Year is upon us! I hope everyone had a relaxing and enjoyable holiday season and am looking forward to working with all of you to complete the work of the Constitutional Convention in 2016.

Allow me to be blunt. As much as we accomplished in 2015 - and make no mistake, we have a number of significant accomplishments under our belts - there is a great deal left to be done in the coming months. First, we must complete work on the two Articles currently under construction on the convention floor: the Congress and the Regions. Both of these Articles are near completion, with only a few additions necessary before we wrap up debate. After talking with Deputy Presiding Officer Leinad, I have decided to set a soft deadline of January 15 for the completion of both of these Articles. This will give us ample time to answer any remaining questions surrounding our Regional and Congressional systems without too greatly cutting into the time we need to draft the remainder of the new Constitution.

Once these Articles have been completed, we will need to draft and agree to the structure of the remaining branches of the national government - the presidency and the Supreme Court - as well as complete the "miscellaneous" Articles of the Constitution (Bill of Rights, etc.). Once this has been done, we will move for a debate and vote on the final draft of the new Constitution.

None of this, of course, will be possible without the highest degree of activity and participation on your part, and I cannot stress enough the importance of timeliness to the success of the business at hand. We did not end 2015 on a good note in this regard. It has become troublingly common for delegates to propose questions for debate that have been long ago raised and voted on, almost as if they have no memory of the last four months. This inattentiveness has caused needless delays in the ongoing debates over Congress and the Regions, and while I will do everything in my power to spur this Convention to action, there is no substitute for your presence. I am confident that, with the holiday season concluded and the pressure of final exams behind us, we can count on more normal levels of activity going forward.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me - my inbox is always open. Here's to a happy and prosperous 2016!

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 07:50:28 PM »

I've been notoriously absent during the past few weeks, I'll admit, but it's high-time for all of us to get back into high gear with the holidays over. Do we have a list of specific items that still need to be debated and adopted?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 09:39:10 PM »

I've been notoriously absent during the past few weeks, I'll admit, but it's high-time for all of us to get back into high gear with the holidays over. Do we have a list of specific items that still need to be debated and adopted?
Off the top of my head, this is what remains:

(0. Complete Articles on Congress and the Regions, finalize Regional powers)
1. The Executive Branch (Presidency, VP, etc.)
2. The Judiciary
3. Bill of Rights (I don't foresee much change in this area)

4. Rules on Simultaneous Officeholding (semi-presidentialism, etc.)
5. Citizenship/voting requirements

I can't think of anything that has been proposed and/or obviously needs to be addressed that doesn't fit under one of those categories.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 11:15:28 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2016, 12:13:07 AM by Senator Truman »

ARTICLE I
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the Republic of Atlasia, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the Republic of Atlasia and of the Region in which they reside, and shall in all cases be afforded equal protection under the law.

Section 2. Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, nor of the press, nor withholding the freedom to peaceably assemble and to petition for the redress of grievances.

Section 3. Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, nor obstructing the freedom of worship.

Section 4. The right of citizens of the Republic of Atlasia to vote shall not be denied, except in regards to persons whose account is fewer than 168 hours old, or in consequence of failing to meet such requirements for activity as may be established by law.

Section 5. No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law.

Section 6. Neither slavery, nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for crimes of which the accused has been duly convicted, shall exist within the Republic of Atlasia, nor in any place under its jurisdiction.

Section 7. A well-regulated militia being necessary for the security of a free people, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Section 8. No citizen shall be subjected to warrantless search or seizure of the persons, homes, records, or possessions, and no warrants shall be issued without probable cause, supported by oath of affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Section 9. No person accused of crimes under the laws of this Republic, or of the several Regions, shall be compelled to bear witness against himself, nor subjected to excessive bail, nor cruel or unusual punishment.

Section 10. In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall have right to a speedy and public trial by an impartial jury of their peers in the Region wherein the crime shall have been committed, to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation, to be confronted with the witnesses against him, to have a compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel in his defense.

Section 11. No person shall be held to answer for a capital or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the armed forces.

Section 12. In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any court of the Republic of Atlasia.

Section 13. The enumeration of certain rights in this Constitution shall not be construed as to deny or disparage those natural rights and liberties herein unlisted.

ARTICLE II
Section 1 (The Regions)
i. The several states of this Republic shall be apportioned among three contiguous, autonomous Regions.
ii. The northern Region shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, and Vermont.
iii. The southern Region shall consist of the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
iv. The western Region shall consist of the states of Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Montana, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Nebraska, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
v. Each Region shall have the sole authority to designate its title, and the titles of the officers of its government, such as they will be recognized by the Republic of Atlasia in all official acts and processes.

Section 2 (The Union)
i. No Region shall secede from this Republic but by a 3/4 vote of the citizens thereof, nor shall any Region, state, or other entity declare itself outside the jurisdiction of this Constitution so long as it remains party to this Union.

Section 3 (Rights and Limitations)
i. The powers not delegated to the Republic of Atlasia by this Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the Regions, are reserved to the Regions respectively, or to the people.
ii. No Region shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation without the express consent of the Congress.
iii. No Region shall pass any Bill of Attainder or ex post facto law, nor pass any act impairing the obligation of contracts.
iv. No Region shall lay any duty on exports and imports except by necessity for the proper enforcement of its laws, and then only with the express consent of the Congress; and in such case the net produce of such shall be conferred to the Federal Treasury.
v. No Region shall lay any duty of tonnage, nor grant any title of nobility, nor maintain armed forces in times of peace, nor issue, coin, or recognize as legal tender any currency but that of the Republic of Atlasia.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 11:16:59 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2016, 12:13:23 AM by Senator Truman »

ARTICLE III
Section 1 (The Legislature)
i. All legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia, which shall consist of a Senate and a House of Representatives.
ii. The Vice President shall be the President of the Congress, but shall have no vote in the House of Representatives, nor in the Senate save when they be equally divided.

Section 2 (The Senate)
i. The Senate of the Republic of Atlasia shall consist of two Senators from each Region, elected for a term of four months in the manner prescribed by the legislature thereof.
ii. No person shall be a Senator who has not attained 200 or more posts, nor whose account is fewer than 1440 hours old, nor who is not a citizen of the Region they are chosen to represent.
iii. The Senate shall elect its leader and other officers, and shall have sole authority to determine its own methods of proceedings.
iv. Upon the seating of the first Congress, the Senators shall be divided into two classes of equal size, such that each class shall consist of one Senator from each of the Regions. Members of the first class shall be elected in the months of February, June, and October; members of the second class shall be elected in the months of April, August, and December.
v. The Senate shall have the sole power to try all impeachments. In all trials of impeachment, the Chief Justice shall preside, and no person shall be convicted without the concurrence of 2/3 of the sitting Senators.
vi. Vacancies in the Senate shall be filled according to the laws of the effected Region; but in the absence of such a law, the executive power thereof shall have the authority to appoint a replacement to serve the remainder of the existing term.

Section 3 (The House of Representatives)
i. The House of Representatives shall consist of nine members chosen at-large by the eligible voters of the Republic according to a method of proportional representation prescribed by the Federal Legislature. Representatives shall serve a term of two months, and shall be elected in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December.
ii. All elections for the House of Representatives shall be by single transferable vote, unless otherwise specified by law.
iii. No person shall be a Representative who has not attained 100 or more posts, nor whose account is fewer than 720 hours old, nor who is not a citizen of the Republic of Atlasia.
iv. The House of Representatives shall elect its Speaker and other officers, and shall have sole authority to determine its own methods of proceedings.
v. The House of Representatives shall have the sole power of impeachment.
vi. Vacancies in the House of Representatives shall be filled by the executive of the effected Party; but should a vacancy occur as the result of the death, expulsion, or resignation of a Representative not being a member of a major Party, then a special election shall be held to chose a replacement to serve the remainder of the existing term.

Section 4 (Rules of Order)
i. Each Houses may adopt rules concerning the discipline and expulsion of its members; but no Senator or Representative shall be expelled but with the concurrence of 2/3 of the members of the effected House.
ii. Each House shall be the judge of its own elections and of the qualifications of its members.

Section 5 (Legislation)
i. Legislation may originate in either house, and both houses shall reserve the right to propose and concur with amendments; but all bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives.
ii. Whenever either house shall vote to pass a bill, order, or resolution that shall have originated in the other, having previously made amendment to the same, the President of the Congress shall immediately call the amended bill to a vote in the house in which it originated. If the original house should then vote to pass the amended bill, it shall proceed to the President; otherwise, the President of the Congress shall instruct the other house either to pass the bill as it stood prior to its amendment by that house, or else reject it entirely.
iii. Every bill, order, or resolution which shall have passed the Senate and the House of Representatives shall, before it becomes law, be submitted to the judgment of the President. If he approve of it he should sign it; but if he disapproves he should return the bill to the house in which it originated with his objections. If, after considering the objections of the President, both houses should by a 2/3 vote agree to pass the same bill, it shall become law regardless of the President's objections.

Section 6 (Powers)
i. The Congress shall have the power, except where limited elsewhere by this Constitution, to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts, and excises, and to distribute the revenue thus collected;
to regulate foreign trade and inter-regional commerce;
to establish uniform laws of naturalization;
to regulate the value and coinage of the national currency;
to establish a uniform system of weights and measures;
to establish post offices and post roads;
to define and punish crimes committed on the high seas;
to declare war, issue letters of marque and reprisal, and make laws governing the capture of land and water;
to raise, support, and regulate the national armed forces;
to admit new states and territories to the Union;
to make laws governing borrowing, lending, and the selling of stocks and bonds;
to confirm or reject nominations for the Supreme Court and the officers of executive departments;
to establish a central national bank;
to make laws necessary for the enforcement of the Constitution and federal law; and
to regulate voter registration and federal elections.

Section 7 (Restrictions)
i. The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, except when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it.
ii. No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto law shall be passed.
iii. No tax or duty shall be laid on articles exported from any Region.
iv. No money shall be drawn from the Treasury but in accordance with the apportionments made by law.
v. No title of nobility shall be granted by the Republic of Atlasia, and accordingly no person holding office under this Constitution shall accept any title, rank, or office from any foreign state except in accordance with federal law.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2016, 12:13:50 AM by Senator Truman »

ARTICLE IV
Section 1 (The Executive)
i. The executive power shall be vested in the President of the Republic of Atlasia. He shall hold his office for a term of four months, together with a Vice President chosen for the same term.
ii. Elections for President shall be held in the months of February, June, and October, in accordance with the measures prescribed by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia. Each candidate for President shall run jointly with a candidate for Vice President, with whom his name shall appear jointly on the ballot. A vote for a candidate for President shall be considered a vote for the candidate for Vice President whose name appears on the ballot with the presidential candidate, and accordingly the candidate for Vice President whose name appears on the ballot with the successful candidate for President shall be elected.
iii. No person shall be President or Vice President who has not attained 500 or more posts, nor whose account is not at least 4,320 hours old, nor is not a citizen of the Republic of Atlasia.
iv. Upon the commencement of his term in office, the President shall swear the following oath: "I, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the Republic of Atlasia, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia."

Section 2 (Powers)
i. The President shall have the power, except where limited elsewhere by this Constitution, to grant reprieves and pardons for crimes committed under the laws of the Republic of Atlasia, but Congress may rescind such pardons by a 2/3 vote of the Senate and the House of Representatives;
to introduce legislation into the queue of the Congress;
to appoint, with the advice and consent of the Senate, the Justices of the Supreme Court;
to establish such executive departments as may be necessary for the execution of the laws, and to appoint their principle officers with the advice and consent of the Senate;
to veto acts of Congressional legislation, and to exercise a line-item veto over the budget;
to appoint the vice president in the event of a vacancy in that office;
to serve as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Atlasia; and
to make treaties with the advice and consent of the Senate.

Section 3 (The Vice Presidency)
i. Whenever the office of President shall fall vacant, by reason of the death, impeachment, or resignation of the occupant, the Vice President shall become President.
ii. Whenever the President shall submit his written declaration to the presiding officer of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he shall submit a declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties will be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.
iii. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of the principle officers of the executive departments shall submit their written declaration to the presiding officer of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, such powers and duties will be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President until such time as the President should submit his declaration to the contrary.

Section 4 (Impeachment)
i. The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the Republic of Atlasia, shall be removed from office on Impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

ARTICLE V
Section 1 (The Judiciary)
i. The judicial power of the Republic of Atlasia shall be vested in the Supreme Court, the membership of which shall consist of two Justices and three Associate Justices chosen in the following manner:
ii. The Justices of the Supreme Court shall be nominated by the President of the Republic of Atlasia and confirmed by a majority vote of the Senate.
iii. The chief executive officer of each of the several Regions shall nominate from among his constituents a candidate for Associate Justice. Upon the assent of a majority of the legislative power thereof, the nomination shall proceed to the President: if he approve of the nomination he should grant his Assent and the nominee shall assume the office of Associate Justice; but if he disapprove he should veto it and the nomination will be annulled. If then two thirds of the Senate should vote to override the President's veto, the nominee shall take office regardless of the opinion of the President.
iv. The Justices and Associate Justices thus chosen shall hold their offices for life in good behavior.
v. The President shall designate a Chief Justice from among the appointed Justices, who shall continue in that capacity until such time as he shall resign the designation, or else cease to be a member of the Supreme Court.

Section 2 (Regional Judiciaries)
i. The judicial power of each of the several Regions shall be vested in a Circuit Court composed of the Associate Justice chosen from that Region, and no Region shall establish any other court or judicial authority.

Section 3 (Jurisdiction)
i. The jurisdiction of the Supreme Court shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under this Constitution and all official acts made under its authority; to all cases affecting ambassadors and other public ministers; to all cases of admiralty and maritime jurisdiction; to controversies to which this Republic shall be a party; to controversies between two or more Regions, or between a Region and citizens of another Region; between citizens of different Regions; between citizens of the same Region claiming lands under grants of different Regions, and between a Region, or the citizens thereof, and foreign States, citizens, or subjects.
ii. The trial of all crimes, except in cases of impeachment, shall be by jury; and such trial shall be held in the Region where the said crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any Region, the trial shall be at such place or places as the Congress may by law have directed.

Section 4 (Continuity)
i. Those persons comprising the judicial power of the Republic of Atlasia under the previous Constitution thereof shall, upon the ratification of this Constitution, assume the office of Associate Justice for the Region in which they reside; but, if more than one of the persons above named are citizens of the same Region, than the most senior of the two shall become Associate Justice and the junior shall become Justice.
ii. The retention of the incumbent judicial officers above mandated shall take place without need for the process of nomination and confirmation set forth in Section 1 of this Article.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 11:20:17 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2016, 12:14:40 AM by Senator Truman »

ARTICLE VI
Section 1 (Game Engine)
i. All powers which the Congress shall deem necessary and proper for simulating either the impact of actions by the Republic of Atlasia, the several Regions, or the citizens thereof; or the actions of non-playable entities, shall be vested in a Game Engine.
ii. The Congress shall have the power to establish the structure and powers of the Game Engine by appropriate legislation.

ARTICLE VII
Section 1 (Reciprocity)
i. The citizens of each Region shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several Regions.
ii. Full faith and credit shall be given in each Region to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other Region. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.
iii. A person charged in any Region with treason, felony, or other crime, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another Region, shall on demand of the executive authority of the Region from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the Region having jurisdiction of the crime.

Section 2 (Lands and Territories)
i. New states may be admitted by the Congress into this Union, and apportioned among the several Regions as may be appropriate; but no new state shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the Regions concerned as well as of the Congress.
ii. The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the Republic of Atlasia.

Section 3 (Protection)
i. The Republic of Atlasia shall guarantee to every Region in this Union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence.

ARTICLE VIII
Section 1 (Supremacy)
i. This Constitution, and those laws, treaties, and other acts made by the Republic of Atlasia in pursuance thereof, shall be the supreme law of the land, and the executive and judicial officers of this government and of the several Regions shall be bound thereby, any thing in the laws or constitutions of the several Regions notwithstanding.

Section 2 (Qualifications for Officeholders)
i. The officers of the Republic Atlasia, and of the several Regions, shall be bound by Oath of Affirmation to support this Constitution, but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the Republic of Atlasia.
ii. No person shall be elected to multiple offices under this Constitution, nor occupy the office of Justice or Associate Justice simultaneously with any other public office; but members of Congress shall be eligible to serve as the principle officers of such executive departments as may be established by law.

ARTICLE IX
Section 1 (Amendment)
i. The Congress, whenever two thirds of the membership of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall have power to propose amendments to this Constitution, which shall take effect following their ratification by two thirds of the several Regions.
ii. The Congress, whenever three fifths of the eligible voters or the legislatures of each of the several Regions shall deem it necessary, shall call for a Convention to revise or replace this Constitution and provide regulations for the organization and administration of that body.

ARTICLE X
Section 1 (Ratification)
i. The assent of 3/4 of the existing Regions shall be sufficient to ratify this Constitution; but the existing government of this Republic shall remain in office, and all acts passed under any previous Constitutions shall remain in effect, until all acts mandated by Section 2 of this Article shall have been implemented.

Section 2 (Implementation)
i. Following the ratification of this Constitution, the incumbent President of the Republic of Atlasia shall designate a temporary Elections Officer, who shall administer the election of the new House of Representatives. Elections for these offices will be conducted according to the regulations set forth in this Constitution and the existing body of law, and shall commence not more than two weeks following the receipt of the certificates of ratification from the several Regions.
ii. Concurrently with the aforementioned balloting, the Elections Officer shall administer the election of legislative committees in each of the three Regions consisting of one delegate for every seven citizens thereof. The committees will be empowered to organize the election of the first Senate, and then to devise a permanent Constitution establishing a permanent government for their Region. But under no circumstances shall the committees presume to legislate on matters not pertaining to either of the aforementioned tasks, and shall be immediately dissolved upon their completion.
iii. At such time as both the Senate and the House of Representatives shall be seated, this Constitution shall be considered fully implemented; and accordingly all acts and offices established under the previous Constitution, or those of the former Regions, shall cease to hold any authority within the Republic of Atlasia.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 07:42:33 PM »

With 18 votes in favor and none opposed, the proposed Fourth Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia has been ADOPTED!

In accordance with the wishes of the delegates, and by the authority vested in me as Presiding Officer of the Constitutional Convention, I therefore announce this Convention to be ADJOURNED!

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies