Headquarters of the Presiding Officer (It is done...)

(1/3) > >>

Unconditional Surrender Truman:
Headquarters of the Presiding Officer

To all those who stumble upon this thread, Welcome. With the resignation of P.O. Cris, I have assumed office as Presiding Officer of this Convention and will use this thread as my headquarters. Here you will find answers to procedural questions, announcements pertaining to Convention business, and other official reminders and observations. Please feel free to leave your comments, questions, and criticisms (or praise) here and I will do my best to respond to you.

Long Live the Republic!

Harry S Truman, Presiding Officer

Drafting a Constitution - Convention Noticeboard

Proposals Thread
List of Topics To Be Debated

The Federal Government
The Judicial Branch: Supreme Court
Since: 3/31/16

The Executive Branch: President, Vice President, etc.
Since: 2/20/16

The Legislature: Structure, Size, Elections
Since: 1/18/16

The Regions
The Regional System
Since: 1/11/16

Other
Miscellaneous Articles
Since: 5/10/16

Bill of Rights
Since: 4/12/16

Statute Reboot (Legislative Blank Slate)
Since: 12/7/15

Principle Votes

COMPLETED
Should Secession be Legal?    YES
Number of Regions?    THREE (3)
Should we keep the VP?    YES
Bicameral Legislature?    YES
Repeal all Federal Laws?    YES
Repeal all Regional Laws?    YES
Basis for new statute?    Current (2015) US Statute
Congressional Powers?    See List
Senatorial elections...?    Let the Regions decide
Regional Nomenclature?    Let the Regions decide
Number of Reps?    NINE (9)
Fluctuating Membership?    NO
House Elections?    At-Large
Separate VP Elections?    NO
Presidential Term?    Four Months
Term Limits?    NO
Presidential Powers?    See List
SC Bench?    Fixed Bench
Court Structure?    Plan "C" (Bore-Kingpoleon Plan)
Retention?    Plan "A"
Bill of Rights?    See List
Amendments?    Plan "D" (Status Quo)

HEADQUARTERS of the PRESIDING OFFICER
November 24, 2015

By the authority vested in me by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia as Presiding Officer of the Constitutional Convention, I hereby appoint the Honorable Leinad of Georgia to the post of Deputy Presiding Officer of this Convention.

Leinad:
Thanks for the appointment, Presiding Officer Truman! This convention hasn't been disastrous so far, despite the naysayers, which I'm glad for, and I look forward to helping to continue that.

A Message from your Presiding Officer

Hello All,
In response to a message from one of my fellow delegates, I feel that I should clarify a particular aspect of my policy towards debates as P.O., specifically those items proposed for discussion in the Proposals Thread.

When my predecessor was P.O., he set about opening threads on every topic posed in the Proposals Thread as soon as it was proposed. This created a situation that several delegates found confusing, with multiple simultaneous conversations going on across the board. Several of the delegates (Duke, PiT, Oakvale) voiced these concerns to me on this board and asked that we focus on one issue at a time. As no-one objected to this proposal, I decided not to open any new threads for debate until the current discussions on Congress and the Regions had been resolved. There have been no questions about this policy until now, so I did not feel the need to clarify this policy formally.

If the Convention would prefer that we take on more issues at once, I would be happy to oblige - my actions in this regard thus far have been governed by what I thought were the desires of the Convention, and should those desires change my policy will change as well. I should note that many of the suggestions in the Proposals Thread have been dealt with in one way or another in the last two months: for example, Griffin's proposal for an "adopted text" thread has already been implemented and RGN's call for a consideration of the military is under discussion in the Federal Powers thread. Windjammer's request that we consider the number of offices that one person may hold is one that I think would best be addressed in the ongoing thread relating to the Legislative System (I have begun work on an amendment on this issue).

On another note, activity has sagged in recent weeks, due no doubt to the onset of the holiday season and the strain of final exams. Once the current tumult has passed, however, it will be time for everyone to re-commit to this project. Deputy P.O. Leinad and myself have been discussing plans for the New Year, and I will expect everyone to resume their usual activity in 2016.
Happy Holidays,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page