Kay Hutchison may be appointed to Ambassador to Great Britain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:54:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kay Hutchison may be appointed to Ambassador to Great Britain
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kay Hutchison may be appointed to Ambassador to Great Britain  (Read 4127 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2005, 04:00:47 AM »

http://www.politics1.com/

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, President Bush may have found a way to keep the Texas Governor's Mansion in the lease of current Governor Rick Perry.  President Bush may nominate Kay Bailey Huchison, a moderate Republican, to US Ambassador to the Court of St James (Great Britain).

If this happens, Rick Perry is almost a shoe-in for at least the GOP nomination and possibly the Governor's Mansion and Texas will have a GOP US Senate seat open.

That could be a possible Democratic steal if they could grab the Texas US Senate seat.  That means there would probably be a special election for the seat within 100 days or so after Kay vacates the seat.

Strategic possible move on President Bush's part, I think.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 04:11:39 AM »

Special election? Perry doesn't get to appoint someone?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 04:16:32 AM »

He may be able to appoint someone temporarily.  Either until Kay's term is up, or until 2006, or something.  It may be the same thing Massachusetts would have had to do with John Kerry's seat if he had won the White House.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 12:21:48 PM »

Would Kay accept the UK ambassador appointment? Personally, I hope she runs in Texas and stuffs Perry

Dave

MissCatholic

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 12:25:52 PM »

Kay Bailey Hutchison ambassador to the uk.

Does she like bad food?
Does she like soccer?
Does she like people getting incredible drunk whatever the day is?
Does she like bad transport?
Does she like expensive gas?
Does she like expensive food?
Does she like the UK?

Gurl fun for governor.
M

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 12:48:05 AM »

Does she like bad food?

-No. She's from Texas; whatever else you may say, we do eat well.-

Does she like soccer?

-Not particularly. She likes football. She was a cheerleader at UT.-

-Probably not.-

-Of course. She's from Texas.-

-You mean it costs money? (She's from Texas).-

-If it's good.-

Does she like the UK?

-Sure. They birthed Winston Churchill.-

Gurl fun for governor.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 06:44:45 AM »

Special election? Perry doesn't get to appoint someone?
Texas is one of the few states that honors the spirit of the 17th amendment, and holds a special election just as if there were a vacancy in the House of Representatives.   The only difference is that the Governor may make a temporary appointment until the election (if Congress is or will be in session).

There are 4 uniform election days in Texas (in February, May, September, and November).  The special election would be held on the next one that was 36 days after the vacancy occured.  There is a provision to hold the special election on the general election day in even years, but the vacancy must occur in time for the party primaries to be used.  But because the primary date has been pushed so early in the year, there is only a very short window (between January 1 and 62 days before the first Tuesday in March).

The special election is held using the Louisiana system - all comers without regard to party, with the top two in a runoff if nobody has a majority.

KBH herself was elected in a 1993 special election when Lloyd Bentsen resigned to become Treasury Secretary.  Then Governor Ann Richards appointed Bob Kreuger as senator in hopes that running as the incumbent would give him an advantage.  Hutchison led Kreuger by 100 or so votes, with each around 29% of the vote.  Hutchison won the runoff by a 2 to 1 margin.

Because it is a special election, it gives officeholders a free shot without having to give up their current seat.  In 1993, there were 2 GOP congressmen who also ran (there were 24 candidates).  If it had been a general election, the congressmen could not have run for both offices (that is only allowed if someone is running for President or Vice President, due to the LBJ rule).
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 06:47:04 AM »

She is a relatively new mother (via adoption).  Do you have to like soccer to be a soccer mom?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 08:58:49 AM »

Does she like bad food?
Does she like soccer?
Does she like the UK?

Gurl fun for governor.

By those questions, I gather you have a pretty grim perception of your friends from across the pond

Dave
MissCatholic

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005, 10:32:44 AM »

Not at all. You have great beer. We have shocking  and i mean shocking!!!!!! alcohol.

I never really drank before i tried down czech beer. it isnt clean it is gritty but has something about it. Then tried some danish that wnet down well. then expeirenced some classic ale from England when i was studying over there. i go to england regularly for my company. Cant beat a cold pint of carling or mcCaffreys. But the best place to have a drink is Shannon Airport Dublin. The best guinness you will ever try.

If Americans woke up and realised how bad miller, bud really is and discovered what really is a good beer then a) more people would drink. b) more people would enjoy a drink.

Perceptions of beer is that they make you alcholics but if you go into Europe/Australia they drink till they drop then go to work the next day. Also it would explian why soccer was so big over there.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 10:00:09 AM »

Kay has, just yesterday, explicitly denied interest in the Ambassador post.  She is still thinking about challenging Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) in the GOP primary in 2006.  However, if she wanted to stay in the Senate, she would be offered the #3 leadership post the Senate Republican Conference Chair in the 110th Congress (2007-2008).

www.politics1.com has this story (look under Thursday News Update)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 11:49:02 AM »

President Bush may nominate Kay Bailey Huchison, a moderate Republican, to US Ambassador to the Court of St James (Great Britain).

Hutchison a "moderate"Huh

Yer funny.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 11:51:47 AM »

President Bush may nominate Kay Bailey Huchison, a moderate Republican, to US Ambassador to the Court of St James (Great Britain).

Yer funny.

Moderate socially -- (supports women's right to choose).  I don't know about her economically.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 02:41:25 PM »

Yer funny.

Moderate socially -- (supports women's right to choose).  I don't know about her economically.

Well, it is bandit.  Joseph Stalin was a moderate to him.

Oh, and by the way, Bush stole Oklahoma with those Diebold machines and Superman.  Kerry really won it with about 65% of the vote.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 03:34:59 PM »

Kay's spokesman said there is no way she will take the ambassador job.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 08:29:41 PM »

Kay has, just yesterday, explicitly denied interest in the Ambassador post.  She is still thinking about challenging Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) in the GOP primary in 2006.  However, if she wanted to stay in the Senate, she would be offered the #3 leadership post the Senate Republican Conference Chair in the 110th Congress (2007-2008).

Funny, everybody's bribing her so she doesn't take on Perry.  I wouldn't mind her doing that.  Perry may be closer to me ideologically, but he seems like an empty suit to me.  I still prefer him to that idiot we have in Alabama though.
M

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 08:55:55 PM »

Funny, everybody's bribing her so she doesn't take on Perry.  I wouldn't mind her doing that.  Perry may be closer to me ideologically, but he seems like an empty suit to me.  I still prefer him to that idiot we have in Alabama though.

You're right; he's an empty suit. In theory he's the more conservative candidate, but not particularly or avowedly so, it's just something that is and he won't hesitate to use it against Kay if he feels he has to. She's my favorite of the two, too. But no one wants the Texas party to tear itself apart. We Republicans like to boast of our unity (compared to the Democrats); while in some ways it's always been a fiction and in other ways it's become completely untrue (many more moderate Republicans than moderate Dems these days, though neither branch has much power) we'd rather not tear ourselves apart.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 09:09:07 PM »

You're right; he's an empty suit. In theory he's the more conservative candidate, but not particularly or avowedly so, it's just something that is and he won't hesitate to use it against Kay if he feels he has to. She's my favorite of the two, too. But no one wants the Texas party to tear itself apart. We Republicans like to boast of our unity (compared to the Democrats); while in some ways it's always been a fiction and in other ways it's become completely untrue (many more moderate Republicans than moderate Dems these days, though neither branch has much power) we'd rather not tear ourselves apart.

The Republican Party is Texas is one of the most astute parties in the nation at present (and has been for about 10 years now).

They recognize they don't want any inter-party fights and are doing their best to keep any from happening.

Simply put, the Democrats are out of power, out of money, out of candidates and the Republicans in the state want it to stay that way.

Fortunately for them, Texas has always been one of the states in the US that leans most towards being a one-party state.  For a long time when the Democrats were in power, a good number of Republicans and Democrats agreed on any number of issues, and for the most part, it's stayed that way, just the overall balance has shifted a bit.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 08:29:07 AM »

Yer funny.

In all fairness to Kay, I think she is pretty moderate as far as most of her GOP Senate colleagues go

Dave
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 08:40:30 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2005, 10:52:23 AM by Jas »

Cant beat a cold pint of carling or mcCaffreys. But the best place to have a drink is Shannon Airport Dublin. The best guinness you will ever try.

Sorry to go completely off the point, but nonetheless it would annoy me if I let it go, Shannon Airport is nowhere near Dublin.
They are, in fact, on opposite coasts of Ireland.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies