Philly residents... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:34:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Philly residents... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philly residents...  (Read 2892 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: May 16, 2005, 06:27:57 PM »

I cannot vote but even if I could, we don't really have a choice (though I would still vote).

I know everyone will get a big kick out of our GOP candidate for DA. His last name is Schwartz and he's a RINO.

We also have races for Judges and City Controller. The GOP will lose almost everyone one of these races in the fall.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 06:46:15 PM »

I was wondering because Ive noticed a very large Net-Roots movement for Seth Williams.  Know anything about this guy?

Yeah, he's the underdog candidate. Lynn Abraham always gets a Primary challenge. She's not all that popular especially amongst the more liberal voters. That's why you will see this grass/netroots support for Williams. In 2001, Abraham won her Primary with 59% of the vote. I expect her to get around 55-56% this time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 06:50:08 PM »

I was wondering because Ive noticed a very large Net-Roots movement for Seth Williams.  Know anything about this guy?

Yeah, he's the underdog candidate. Lynn Abraham always gets a Primary challenge. She's not all that popular especially amongst the more liberal voters. That's why you will see this grass/netroots support for Williams. In 2001, Abraham won her Primary with 59% of the vote. I expect her to get around 55-56% this time.

That sounds about right.  I'd be very surprised if Williams won.

It would be an upset, no doubt about it but let's remember that Abraham is not very popular when it comes to the Primaries.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 04:17:23 PM »

It's not just all primaries in PA today. One race I totally forgot about: The Special State Senate election to fill Jack Wagner's (now Auditor General) old seat. The Democrat turned Republican State Rep. Michael Diven is running against Wayne Fontana. Recent polls have shown Fontana in the lead but I think this will end as a close race.

Reasons why Diven will make this close:

- He's a popular State Rep.
- Voters in Pittsburgh are going to the polls for their Mayoral primary. With the failure of Pittsburgh Dems on their mind, voters probably won't react as well as they usually would for the Democratic State Senate candidate.
- The area (even close to the city of Pittsburgh) keeps getting closer to the GOP.

I'm not sure who will be victorious but PA Republicans can only hope that we have a pick up here. If we do, the State Senate Republican majority will only grow. If Diven wins it will be 31-19 for the GOP.

There is another State Senate race, too. Allyson Schwartz's old seat will be up but in the solidy liberal Democratic strong hold of Chestnut Hill, Democrat LeAnna Washington will won't have any trouble winning this seat.

While the State Senate race for Schwartz's old seat will be boring, I'll be able to follow (with interest) the Diven-Fontana matchup. I guess watching the results tonight won't be that bad after all.

Polls close at 8, Alcon. I planned on posting results but I am going to a ward party.

Also, I went with my parents to vote this evening. We have a total of 962 voters (big precinct by our standards). My parents' voter numbers were 45 and 46. I don't see turnout in my precinct passing 70 voters.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 04:48:15 PM »

I voted at 11:00 AM.  My number 16 (and the first Republican) another Republican came in after me.

I'm going to predict (though I don't know if we'll have any source to check if I'm right or not) that turnout will be around 15% in the city.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 05:03:43 PM »

I voted at 11:00 AM.  My number 16 (and the first Republican) another Republican came in after me.

I'm going to predict (though I don't know if we'll have any source to check if I'm right or not) that turnout will be around 15% in the city.

That would be reasonable.  This is one of the quietest elections I've ever seen.

The DA and City Controller primaries are always quiet. However, go across the state right now and they have that big special State Senate election and the Mayoral primary.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 05:57:21 PM »

They'll have them up later tonight.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 09:54:06 PM »

In the special Senate election, Fontana (D) is up 54% to 39% (and 7% for the Libertarian).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies