Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:12:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 190721 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: June 22, 2018, 07:53:36 PM »

Hébert on how Trump's upended our political landscape, and while a snap election is possible it would probably be around NAFTA crunch time rather than this summer. Justin could call a fall one like Chrétien if that's what he wanted. Coyne doesn't think one will or should happen, but Grits might regret it later if they don't. On a related note, Grit nominations start next week.

Star on Singh's travails.

Trump unhappy with our defence spending ahead of the NATO summit.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1476 on: June 22, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »

I wish people would stop speculating about 'snap elections'. There will be no snap election. Justin isn't that stupid.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1477 on: June 27, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »

Tom Parkin, who kind of operates as the NDP's official stenographer in the Toronto Sun, seems to think that the BC and Ontario NDPs owe Singh big time and will yield big results.

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1478 on: June 27, 2018, 11:33:28 AM »

Tom Parkin, who kind of operates as the NDP's official stenographer in the Toronto Sun, seems to think that the BC and Ontario NDPs owe Singh big time and will yield big results.

I know polls are 'lagging indicators' but I can't see where this media 'it will be all over for Jagmeet as soon as he Singhs' comes from. Three of the four latest polls have the NDP at around 20% which is at the high end of their traditional polling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_in_the_43rd_Canadian_federal_election
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1479 on: June 27, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »

Can Singh at least hold the ROC seats and make some gains with an appeal to urban progressives, environmentalists and Sikhs?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1480 on: June 27, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »

Can Singh at least hold the ROC seats and make some gains with an appeal to urban progressives, environmentalists and Sikhs?

Based on these polls I'd say it would have to be that way: if they're down in Quebec, they have to be up elsewhere.  I'm contrary to what others say about B.C though.  Keep in mind that, although the NDP knocked out several Conservatives, they kept their percentage of seats here the exact same: from 12/36 to 14/42.  The only seats I could really see the NDP gain here are Surrey Center and the Burnaby riding held by Liberal Terry Beech. If Jonathan Wilkinson in Burnaby-North Vancouver loses, I think it's more likely it would go to the Conservatives than to the NDP.

I don't know the electoral situation in any other parts of the country but If the NDP remains at 20% but declines in Quebec, I'd expect the NDP to gain in Toronto, South Western Ontario, Northern Ontario and Halifax.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1481 on: June 27, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »

I am a bit worried; our internal polling shows some rather high disapprovals for Singh in Ontario, even from progressives. I guess this might be because he doesn't have a seat (which I had thought didn't matter) and has been somewhat underwhelming so far.  I wonder if the fact that the NDP is at 20% has more to do with progressive dissatisfaction with Justin.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1482 on: June 27, 2018, 07:38:45 PM »

I am a bit worried; our internal polling shows some rather high disapprovals for Singh in Ontario, even from progressives. I guess this might be because he doesn't have a seat (which I had thought didn't matter) and has been somewhat underwhelming so far.  I wonder if the fact that the NDP is at 20% has more to do with progressive dissatisfaction with Justin.

Weird.  I guess the most positive take on this is that the opposite of love isn't hate, but indifference.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1483 on: June 28, 2018, 08:20:17 AM »

Based on these polls I'd say it would have to be that way: if they're down in Quebec, they have to be up elsewhere.  I'm contrary to what others say about B.C though.  Keep in mind that, although the NDP knocked out several Conservatives, they kept their percentage of seats here the exact same: from 12/36 to 14/42.  The only seats I could really see the NDP gain here are Surrey Center and the Burnaby riding held by Liberal Terry Beech. If Jonathan Wilkinson in Burnaby-North Vancouver loses, I think it's more likely it would go to the Conservatives than to the NDP.

I don't know the electoral situation in any other parts of the country but If the NDP remains at 20% but declines in Quebec, I'd expect the NDP to gain in Toronto, South Western Ontario, Northern Ontario and Halifax.

The NDP ought to win Halifax next time as that seat is a fantastic fit for them. It's like a microcosm of the NDP coalition and I was really surprised the Liberals won it last time. Outside of that seat any success they have in Atlantic Canada will be heavily candidate based IMO.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1484 on: July 03, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »

Of the few predictions I get right, this had to be one. Patemkin is running for Peel Region chair.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1485 on: July 04, 2018, 05:38:09 PM »

Scheer rejected requests from certain MPs to expel Bernier from caucus, and the MP who started it whined to CP.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1486 on: July 04, 2018, 05:51:01 PM »

Thoughts on who it was?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1487 on: July 04, 2018, 06:52:18 PM »

The media talking heads say the NDP is in serious trouble and yet they're actually reaching post election highs (20% or so.)  Why is the NDP actually doing so well?  Post Ontario provincial election confusion or is there something more permanent to it?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1488 on: July 05, 2018, 12:12:23 AM »

The media talking heads say the NDP is in serious trouble and yet they're actually reaching post election highs (20% or so.)  Why is the NDP actually doing so well?  Post Ontario provincial election confusion or is there something more permanent to it?

Possible post election bounce, I suspect things will normalize over time as asides from Ontario no bounce in other provinces.  Also Wynne's unpopularity is probably a big reason many polls showed the Tories over 40% in Ontario, but I suspect with her now gone, the Tories will fall back into the 30s.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1489 on: July 05, 2018, 02:15:25 AM »

Possible post election bounce, I suspect things will normalize over time as asides from Ontario no bounce in other provinces.  Also Wynne's unpopularity is probably a big reason many polls showed the Tories over 40% in Ontario, but I suspect with her now gone, the Tories will fall back into the 30s.

Thanks for the reply.

The only poll I saw with Ontario numbers had the Federal NDP at 26% in Ontario.  How does this compare with a couple months ago?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1490 on: July 05, 2018, 02:51:31 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2018, 03:28:32 PM by RogueBeaver »

Justin responds to groping questions, he didn't and doesn't feel he acted inappropriately but understands that the woman felt differently, and men and women experience such situations differently. He apologized in the moment.

Christopherson won't seek re-election next year.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1491 on: July 08, 2018, 05:30:16 PM »

Bev Shipley is retiring.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1492 on: July 08, 2018, 10:52:11 PM »

Since that tweet is now down:
http://www.wallaceburgcourierpress.com/2018/07/08/bev-shipley-wont-be-running-in-next-federal-election

Also, "Bev Shipley is a man baby."
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1493 on: July 09, 2018, 07:03:42 AM »

Should be a boring by-election.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1494 on: July 09, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »

I should've said retiring next year. Anyway, Laverdiere is also retiring next year.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1495 on: July 09, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »

Well, since Shipley would have remained in his seat, that would have made for a very interesting by-election.  Smiley
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1496 on: July 12, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »

Don Martin on MPs leaving politics next year: MacAulay and Plamondon definitely, possibly Nicholson. Lisa Raitt denied on Twitter she's leaving. Bennett might leave sooner to take a diplomatic appointment.

Ivison lists 3 ParlSecs to watch in next week's shuffle: Mendocino, Miller, Wilkinson.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1497 on: July 22, 2018, 01:15:45 AM »

Like everybody else here, I don't make much out of a single poll, but I found the latest Ipsos poll interesting for a couple reasons

Liberal: 39%
Conservative: 32%
NDP: 21%

First, these results are virtually identical to the 2015 election results. Second, the NDP is still at 21% even though it has lost its Ontario bounce as a result of the provincial election (back at 20%.)

The NDP is only at 18% in Quebec in this poll, but, instead the NDP retains this relatively high poll standing on the basis of British Columbia, where, according to this poll, they lead at 35%.

Of course, the overall survey was of 1,000 people so, the polling from B.C would be maybe 150, so, that gets back to the first point of not making too much of a single poll, but if the NDP received 35% of the vote in B.C it would be nearly unprecedented.  Only in the 1988 free trade election did the NDP come in first and get a higher share of the vote: 37%.  In the 2011 'Orange Crush' election, the NDP only received 32% of the vote in B.C.    
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1498 on: July 22, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »

Well if that's true, I guess Jagmett has to run in Burnaby then.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1499 on: July 23, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »

Why isn't some back bench party hack giving up his seat to the seat less party leader? Having no seat in parliament is pretty embarrassing.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies