I want a debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:55:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  I want a debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I want a debate  (Read 1748 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2015, 09:43:19 PM »

It's time.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 09:45:16 PM »

As an undecided voter, I would really value this. Is there a trusted news source out there willing to moderate it?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 10:24:02 PM »

I would be willing to moderate if the candidates are okay with that.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 10:26:17 PM »

I do believe that Atlasia's Newsroom is the only Fair and Balanced™ media outlet.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 01:01:05 AM »

I already asked for a debate and I'm willing to debate with the other candidates.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 01:38:38 AM »

It's time
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 06:02:23 AM »

the Atlasian Picture-Journal is, of course, willing to host the debate as well.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 07:34:36 AM »

Zero In is willing to moderate.

Maybe three co-moderators representing each candidate: Zero In (Cris/HC), Atlasian Picture-Journal (SWE/DF), and Mideast Record-Courier (Griff/Duke).
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 07:46:58 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2015, 07:49:26 AM by Türkisblau »

The so-called "Zero-In" publication hasn't even released anything yet! How can you even claim to be legitimate!?

Besides, this is truly a terrible idea btw
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 12:04:10 PM »

Zero In is willing to moderate.

Maybe three co-moderators representing each candidate: Zero In (Cris/HC), Atlasian Picture-Journal (SWE/DF), and Mideast Record-Courier (Griff/Duke).

That sounds like it would be really hard to coordinate - it took Lumine and me almost two weeks to organize the last debate, and we only have eight days before the election. Also, no offense, but Zero In hasn't published any articles yet, and the APJ has so far published only one (about JCL's "affair" with Classic Conservative).
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 01:23:52 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2015, 01:39:25 PM by Barnes »

I've always found that using an IRC can be infinitely more effective than waiting over the course of days for candidates to post answers. With this model, you can actually get a debate in real-time, and then the moderator would just be tasked with posting a transcript here for everyone afterwards.

Also, in order to not overwhelm the candidates you could have a few debates with different themes.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:55 PM »

I've always found that using an IRC can be infinitely more effective than waiting over the course of days for candidates to post answers. With this model, you can actually get a debate in real-time, and then the moderator would just be tasked with posting a transcript here for everyone afterwards.

Also, in order to not overwhelm the candidates you could have a few debates Worth different themes.
I think Barnes is right. An IRC debate chat would be more effective and more interesting. All candidates would be able to speak at the same time. Also the moderator might open a commentary chat in order to let viewers interact.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »

Also, in order to not overwhelm the candidates you could have a few debates Worth different themes.
This is an interesting idea. I don't have an IRC account (and frankly don't want one, to be honest), but I'd be fine with someone else moderating.

I do worry that such a format might make it difficult for non-IRC users to hear the candidates positions, though. Perhaps we could have a more traditional debate on the forum over the course of next week plus an additional IRC debate?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 02:24:01 PM »

This is an interesting idea. I don't have an IRC account (and frankly don't want one, to be honest), but I'd be fine with someone else moderating.

I do worry that such a format might make it difficult for non-IRC users to hear the candidates positions, though. Perhaps we could have a more traditional debate on the forum over the course of next week plus an additional IRC debate?
I don't think you need an IRC account in order to get in.

I'd be ok with these two debates.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 03:12:52 PM »

An IRC debate can be copied and pasted on to the boards.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 05:52:56 PM »

Turning Points is interested in hosting a television debate with the candidates.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 07:37:43 PM »

An IRC debate probably won't work, because Cris and I are like 7 time zones apart and the only time we're both online is at a time in which most moderators won't be (very early in the morning).
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 02:17:16 PM »

Well Cris seems interested in doing one, so I think there is certainly an option there.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 09:08:20 PM »

ok
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy