Structure, size, powers and election of Presidency, VP. (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:10:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Structure, size, powers and election of Presidency, VP. (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Structure, size, powers and election of Presidency, VP. (Debating)  (Read 17354 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 12, 2015, 04:28:24 PM »

While the selection of the VP is strategically interesting and adds to campaigns, the issue is that office itself is useless. As such, there is the critical aspect of balancing the election aspect with the government aspect, and catering to each.

What if, instead, the Presidential candidate could preselect members of the cabinet? Suppose I were running for President and I named Lumine as my SoIA (just an example). There would be excitement in the naming and I could even have him appear on the ballot with me. You could name as few (at least one) or as many cabinet members as you like. There'd be loads of strategic value there.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »

While the selection of the VP is strategically interesting and adds to campaigns, the issue is that office itself is useless. As such, there is the critical aspect of balancing the election aspect with the government aspect, and catering to each.

What if, instead, the Presidential candidate could preselect members of the cabinet? Suppose I were running for President and I named Lumine as my SoIA (just an example). There would be excitement in the naming and I could even have him appear on the ballot with me. You could name as few (at least one) or as many cabinet members as you like. There'd be loads of strategic value there.
I think the issue with that is bi-partisanship. Oftentimes individuals from all sides are appointed, so while an individual may feel strongly suited for a cabinet position, they ultimately aren't able to receive one because the candidate they supported didn't win, or because they chose not to support someone at all. It then puts things in predicaments if both sides say they would choose Homely for SoFE, as then it would appear that Homely is supporting both sides. There would have to be a lot of details worked out to make this work, and even then, I'm not sure it is something I could support. Good thought, though!

My thought is that the cabinet nominee would agree to show up on the ticket, much like the VP candidate does now. So Homely would only actually appear on the ballot with the Presidential candidate if he agreed to do so.

The thing I was getting at was that you could name who you liked, rather than naming everyone. If there are particular persons in particular positions who are likely to generate interest (referencing the President's comment, perhaps someone in a more prominent position where there is more public interest in their work, like AG), then you can choose to name them.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 03:36:53 PM »

What if we just straight-up gave the VP a vote in the Senate?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies