Powers of federal govt (Senate) and of regional govts. (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:28:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Powers of federal govt (Senate) and of regional govts. (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Powers of federal govt (Senate) and of regional govts. (Debating)  (Read 25412 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: October 15, 2015, 01:24:35 AM »

As part of my comprehensive plan to regulate inactivity and provide for a bicameral system, I propose the following amendment. Keep in mind that even without bicameralism, such a proposal would be ideal in terms of limiting the number of unfillable offices within the game. My ideal proposal for the formula in question is:

Idea #1 (My Favorite Idea)
  • <25% of the game's population = 3 Legislators
  • 25-40% of the game's population = 5 Legislators
  • >40% of the game's population = 3 Legislators

However, this can be debated and the specific formula is not defined below in the text. I have also left open the ability for Regions to reduce the number of seats they have in a given legislative cycle, in the event that a Region qualifies for, say, 5 seats but does not have the activity to sustain such numbers.

I don't believe that any of the current restrictions are excessive, nor can I think of any additional clauses that need to be added at the moment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 09:07:37 PM »

Aye - we can remove any other elements later, but there needs to be a basic framework for each section to begin with, rather than trying to piecemeal it all together one bit at a time from scratch.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 07:42:06 AM »

The objection, unfortunately, was 4 minutes too late.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »

My objection is not too late. So the previous motion must be put up for a vote.

If Clyde's statement didn't count as an objection, then obviously yours didn't, either. At least you learned a valuable lesson on how to properly propose amendments and levy binding criticisms!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:57:43 PM »

My objection is not too late. So the previous motion must be put up for a vote.

If Clyde's statement didn't count as an objection, then obviously yours didn't, either. At least you learned a valuable lesson on how to properly propose amendments and levy binding criticisms!

My objection was on time and within protocol. Mind counts. Cris motion to honor my objection by opening a vote on the amendment from the 23rd. Adam was right about Clyde's but completely wrong about mine. You lose on this one Griff.

Posting "Section 5 is a nonstarter" is not a formal objection, JCL, as I'm sure you know from your service in the Senate and the Mideast Assembly. Every legislative body in this game requires members to post "I object" (or something of that nature) in order for said post to be considered an objection. Saying that you dislike the amendment is not enough; otherwise, my post would have counted as an objection as well.

He really doesn't. He once against his desires on one of jambles' bills because he didn't understand what he was doing.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 05:37:19 PM »

I object.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 06:23:58 PM »

Nay
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 10:29:53 PM »

You're proposing the lack of a country itself except for "muh military". Don't act all cute about it after the fact - this would render the bicameral federal government and reforms for such aims absolutely pointless, and there'd be no reason to have a system that was comprised of five regional entities unless they were sovereign countries with no connection whatsoever (which renders your amendment moot in the first place).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 12:55:05 AM »

You're proposing the lack of a country itself except for "muh military". Don't act all cute about it after the fact - this would render the bicameral federal government and reforms for such aims absolutely pointless, and there'd be no reason to have a system that was comprised of five regional entities unless they were sovereign countries with no connection whatsoever (which renders your amendment moot in the first place).

Ever heard of what is known as a "night watch state"?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night-watchman_state

That is what I advocate if at all possible.

Yeah, I mean that's what I said: not really a country - just an authoritarian confederation.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 11:21:22 PM »

Does anybody (who is not opposed to the concept as a matter of principle) think that we need to add something to this that clarifies the ability for the government to regulate regional legislative seat allocation based on its population? Currently, it's in the document, but...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 12:15:07 AM »

AYE to all
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies