Structure, size and elections of Senate/House (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:58:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Structure, size and elections of Senate/House (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Structure, size and elections of Senate/House (Debating)  (Read 39378 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« on: October 12, 2015, 03:22:43 PM »

Bicameralism is totally unsustainable (and I say this as someone who thinks it would be enjoyable), and we need to be cutting down the number of offices, not increasing them.

I have two proposals here.

If we are going with 3 regions-

3 regional Senators in Class A elected with the president.

6 district Senators (2 per region) elected in Class B midterms.

If we are going with 2 regions.

4 district senators (2 per region) elected with the President.

5 at-large Senators elected in the Class B midterms.

Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 03:54:19 PM »

The plan that implements a bicameral government does not increase the amount of offices. I wrote a full memo explaining this years ago. I'd never advocate any system where we increase the number of offices. We have too many already.

Alright, but remind me how big of a change that would create again (I don't really remember). The plan I've proposed would create somewhere between 24-30 offices total.

The other issue with bicameralism is that with such a big federal government, you might see the same bills stay bogged down in the legislature for a long period of time over technicalities. I do like the idea of some organized partisanship or the like, but I feel like it would be hard to work through in this game.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 04:29:03 PM »

Evergreen's idea is a good one if we go with a confederation, but I think the idea behind the convention should be to preserve the basis behind Atlasia as a presidential republic as much as possible, while hopefully making it more competitive and cutting down on the bureaucratic, legalistic bulk.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies