Structure, size and elections of Senate/House (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:51:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Structure, size and elections of Senate/House (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Structure, size and elections of Senate/House (Debating)  (Read 39299 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« on: October 28, 2015, 05:54:24 PM »

What legislative system do you support?

[X] Bicameralism
[ ] Unicameralism
[ ] Abstain

I think we could have two five member houses.

1x1 - President
5x1 - Senate
5x1 - House of Representatives
1x3 - Governors
5x3 - Regional Representatives.

29 elected officials.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »

We could always have the cabinet being made up of people who have been elected to the Senate/House - in order to keep the numbers down and to make sure that elected officials fill these roles.

The Senate would have to go up to 6 or down to three since we have three regions.
It depends on how the elections are run - you could have three regional seats for both and two at-large seats. (I can't remember if we've agreed something on this).
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:49:35 PM »

6 member senate all elected at large and either a 9 or 11 person house elected by the regions. It's very simple. It gives regions a direct way to elect their representatives and let's the senate represent the entire nation sort of like it's done now.

It's that simple. Let's not overthink this.
I'd think the Senate would have to have an odd number of people in it - five or seven - so we don't have a tie in the Senate. That's my only issue with that.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 01:31:37 PM »

Abstain

I feel that the house should be elected by the regions and the Senate at-large, the House should be smaller (otherwise we're still going to have the issue over not having enough people to fill each position) and the Senate should have an odd number of Senators. I also don't support having two classes of Senator if they're all going to be elected through one type of the election (regional/at-large).
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 09:01:37 AM »

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »

Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 07:51:50 AM »

Interesting point about the name of the PPT. It reflects the difference in the role in the United States versus Atlasia, so I agree that we should have a more fitting name for it.

I suppose I agree, just as long as it is not a Senate Speaker, and is something similar to a Senate President, I'll be fine with it.
We could use Prime Minister (or similar) to avoid confusion of having two people with 'President' in their title - and as PMs are generally Heads of Government and Presidents are generally Heads of State.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 10:12:39 AM »

I agree, clearly we do not want to be using parliamentary titles, but we should not be using Latin terms either.
To be fair, "President Pro Tempore" is Latin as well, and Atlasia has obvious historical ties to the Roman Republic. I don't want to get into a long argument about names, however; is there another title you would prefer? We've already named the House leader the "Speaker" and the VP the "President of Congress," so the two most obvious titles are in use. I suppose we could always just leave it up to the Senate itself (in fact, that might be the best option).
Does the Vice President need an additional title? Although, as you said, it will be best to leave it up the the Senate.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 07:07:40 AM »

I object to the proposal.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 06:35:02 PM »

Abstain.

I feel that simply replacing the word 'senatus princeps' with 'leader' doesn't complete section two, clause three.

I propose something along the lines of:
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 12:23:33 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies