Wiping all current laws. (ADOPTED) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:23:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Wiping all current laws. (ADOPTED) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wiping all current laws. (ADOPTED)  (Read 22136 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: October 18, 2015, 03:23:14 AM »

I guess the devil's advocate point of view is that people become attached to their accomplishments. Wiping them all out would alienate long-time players who would effectively be left as if they had never existed.

Not really. I suppose it depends on how the wiki is restructured. It would be more hope that the old laws are left on there under the Senates on the Statute page, but with a divider or something seperating it from the new era's statute's and a note stating the terms of the legislative reset. That way they are part of the historical record, even if they no longer have the force of law.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 03:24:40 AM »

The purpose of a legislative reset is so that new players have a better idea of where to start from without having to dig through 11 years of wiki pages. Deleting all the US statutes as well goes to the other extreme and once again fails to accomplish that primary task behind the legislative reset.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 01:15:20 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[quote]What should be the basis of the new Statute?
[  ] We should revert to the status quo as of February, 2004
[ X ] We should use the current US statute (up to the date of ratification)
[  ] All laws, including pre-2004 legislation, should be repealed
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 01:52:58 AM »

The whole point of the reset was to 1) make it so newer folks would more easily acclimate to the legal situation in the game and 2) provide an opportunity for devolution to occur. But the former was the primary concern as far as the reset was concerned and therefore matching with current laws is best in terms of accomplishing that. And we can still accomplish devolution as well and just repeal any further Federal laws in areas delegated to the regions.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 01:16:20 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2015, 01:17:58 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I object.

This is asking for trouble from a legal standpoint and would put the new constitution on shaky ground. Some would deny its legality, and that is not something Atlasia can afford during such a critical transition period.

This convention lacks the authority to change anything except for the process defined in the current Constitution. There is no way we can create an alternative process, without risking, the whole project being tossed out.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 12:09:06 AM »

I was pondering this earlier today, but the implementation of this is a critical matter.

I think that there needs to be a universal date established for the election of Regional Constitutional Conventions. These conventions would have to choose the first six Senators otherwise it could be months before the Senate is functioning. There also needs to be an election for The People's House, perhaps an irregular election, followed by the regular schedule followed thereafter.

Only after these Regional Conventions, Senators and House members have been elected can we begin functioning under the new Constitution. If the Presidency is changed to the point where Adam's term doesn't transcend the Constitutional change, then that has to be held as well.

I may be wrong with my history, but the country remained governed by the Articles of Confederation Government until Washington took office. Back in those days, gov't was not a 24/7 business, so they had it easier in some ways. I cannot support the President operating in the absence of a legislative branch during this process, after what happened last summer. I told Adam this point blank on IRC the last day of the election.

We will know the boundaries as soon as the Constitution is ratified. Lets say the first weekend following ratification, an election shall be held under the new boundaries for Regional Constitutional Conventions, administered by the present Secretary of Federal Elections Homelycooking or successor should he leave office (ERROR, Office created by legislation under Third Constitution!!!!!). These conventions shall then have a set period of time to select Regional Senators. Perhaps the same weekend, perhaps the following weekend, the first election for People's House. If the next weekend, then by the Monday no less than two weeks after ratification you can be up and running. The old constitution can then lapse at noon on the Monday following the second weekend following the ratification.

Regardless, this requires the old constitution to remain in effect past the point of ratification, even if just a week or two.  

So NAY
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 11:52:22 PM »

Object I think 2/3's is right 3/4 is a little too steep
The thing is, we don't have a choice in the matter: the current Constitution requires that any replacement be approved by 3/4 of the Regions.

Exactly, and as I said on the previous page trying to pull a US style situation and violate the previous process, would open the door to challenges that could wreck the whole process.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 02:56:24 AM »

AYE
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 04:12:59 AM »

AYE