Number of Regions/Regional Governments (DEBATE CLOSED) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:53:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Number of Regions/Regional Governments (DEBATE CLOSED) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Number of Regions/Regional Governments (DEBATE CLOSED)  (Read 64154 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« on: October 08, 2015, 10:41:29 AM »
« edited: October 08, 2015, 11:19:15 AM by low-energy loser evergreen »

proposed amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 06:40:13 PM »

proposed amendment:

can i withdraw this and reïntroduce it later, so truman's amendment can go first?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »

But I still believe that the regions signed on to be part of this Union and with that they don't have the right to secede. Much, like the Confederacy and the Northeast is the Confederacy at this time.

tsss

the vast, vast majority of present-day northeasterners were not around at the founding of atlasia. and even if they had been, everything is entirely different now than it was then.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:58:03 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 08:00:44 PM by low-energy loser evergreen »

I would caution my fellow delegates against becoming fixated on a single aspect of the Regional system so early in the Convention. I don't discount the important of answering the secession question, but it's hardly the only issue before us.

Judging from the conversation in this thread, this seems to be where we stand at the moment:
- A majority support 3-Region consolidation
- An even split between those who favor a right to secede, those who oppose it, and those who want to make sure the process is carefully regulated
- No word on devolving more powers to the Regional governments

It makes the most sense to settle the issues we agree on first: therefore, I suggest that our next move (after my amendment to strike the current text has been adopted/rejected) be to settle on a map. For reference, here is the map adopted by the CARCA a few weeks ago, submitted by Griffin:

Assuming we go with a three-region system, how does everyone feel about this proposal?

the blue region would have probably 85-90% of activity. this is a silly map.

Also, how do you feel on my amendment? As you and CC are the most outspoken on the issue, albeit from different sides, if you guys agree on this, (with modifications) the hope for this convention will grow stronger.
at least it establishes a clear procedure?
but nah i'm not a big fan of the senate (especially, but not only, the current senate) being the arbiters of independence.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:13:41 AM »

i object in the strongest possible way

the right to self-determination is recognised worldwide as a fundamental human right, and i can't support a constitution that utterly destroys it like this.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »

we're not the ones splashing confederate flags everywhere Tongue
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »

nay.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 03:33:53 PM »

Maps have been a contentious area of the debate for years. I would caution the delegates from becoming too fixated on a detail that has little impact in reality. Yes, a majority of individuals live in the blue region. However, I would assume (as has been proposed in the past) that all citizens will have the opportunity to have one free move, should a reduction in regions occur. This should hopefully counter concerns of one region becoming too overpopulated, though unless we put initial caps on the regions, may be uncontrollable.

Something to think about.

I pretty much agree with this. I'm sympathetic to the argument, but it's not very likely that everyone will just sit still and not change their registration at all. When we shake up the snowglobe, people will re-settle in new places. A bit of faith there, but I think it's the only way this issue can be resolved without a map that looks offensive.

to some degree, sure, but i don't think you understand quite how huge the activity gap is right now. leinad's last count showed the northeast accounting for ALMOST EIGHTY PERCENT of activity on the regional governments board.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 03:55:24 PM »

Oakvale and others have been pushing for Northeast independence for months now, yet this has not led to a significant increase in activity (the Northeast is active, yes, but this has little to do with with the secession movement).

grossly inaccurate, as usual, mr senator.

you see, very nearly 3/4 of legislative activity in the northeast over the past month comes from pro-independence legislators. and 60% of it comes from clyde and myself, both of whom have made it clear that we will resign if the referendum fails.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 10:00:54 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2015, 01:09:03 PM by low-energy loser evergreen »

abstain

aye - certainly not a good amendment, but i'd rather have this than let ct's stay.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 08:43:11 PM »

aye (not a fascist)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 07:11:57 PM »

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 08:27:17 AM »

(not a fascist)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 02:53:43 AM »

aye
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 04:18:17 PM »