Number of Regions/Regional Governments (DEBATE CLOSED)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:27:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Number of Regions/Regional Governments (DEBATE CLOSED)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 30
Author Topic: Number of Regions/Regional Governments (DEBATE CLOSED)  (Read 63054 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: November 09, 2015, 11:45:16 PM »

What is the rationale against the regions being named West, Southeast and Northeast?

I think the current names are more original and add a bit of creative flair to the map; however, if the Convention would prefer compass names, I'd be fine with that as well.
I just think it would be confusing, especially for new members. We want to make this game more welcoming to new members, and I don't think this accomplishes that. Especially considering only one of them (Franklin) is a name with high recognition.

If we reverted to directions, would people be fine with Northeast, Southeast and West? Or North, South and West? What do folks like?

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #476 on: November 10, 2015, 02:01:29 AM »

I object to Trumans amendment.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #477 on: November 10, 2015, 02:24:42 AM »

Once again, it would be my preference for the regions to decide the names of the region like the south going from Southeast, to Dirty South, to Imperial Dominion of the South and now to just South, that was our choice and it should be the region's choice under the new constitution.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #478 on: November 10, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »

Yankee's right, this is something that should be left up to the regions. If a region wants to change its name, it shouldn't have to go through the Senate and a ratification vote.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #479 on: November 10, 2015, 12:06:19 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 12:08:13 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Actually, Truman's  idea of regional names is a good one.

After all, the nation has a particular name, Atlasia.

Franklin, a founding father from the Northeast
Rayburn, an outstanding legislator from the South
Fremont, a notable explorer of the West

Throughout the world, regions, provinces, states, have their own distinctive name, not simply named after their geographic location.

There is nothing confusing about three names.  Anybody whether new or anyone who has been here for awhile should be able to recognize three different names.

You are really underestimating people's intelligence by saying new players would find it confusing.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #480 on: November 10, 2015, 12:54:22 PM »

I do not believe that the regions should be allowed to name their own region.

Nor do I believe that the regions should have any authority to change the name of their region.

The Atlasian constitution should set the boundaries of the regions and the names of the regions, so they are set, and cannot be changed.

Otherwise we end up with ridiculous names like the Imperial Dominion of the South, the Dirty South, the Althing, etc, etc, etc, or whatever.

As well, the Atlasian constitution should lay out the names of the officers of the regions.  All regions should have a Governor, Lieutenant Governor, an Assembly, members of the Assemblies shall all be known as Representatives.

That way we avoid ridiculous titles such as Emperor or Grand Vizier, King in the North, or whatever.

We have to set standards and make them permanent.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #481 on: November 10, 2015, 01:19:24 PM »

I don't mind the names.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #482 on: November 10, 2015, 02:11:19 PM »

Nor do I believe that the regions should have any authority to change the name of their region.

The Atlasian constitution should set the boundaries of the regions and the names of the regions, so they are set, and cannot be changed.

Otherwise we end up with ridiculous names like the Imperial Dominion of the South, the Dirty South, the Althing, etc, etc, etc, or whatever.

As well, the Atlasian constitution should lay out the names of the officers of the regions.  All regions should have a Governor, Lieutenant Governor, an Assembly, members of the Assemblies shall all be known as Representatives.

That way we avoid ridiculous titles such as Emperor or Grand Vizier, King in the North, or whatever.

Why shouldn't the regions get to decide that? The federal government shouldn't be as trusted either.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #483 on: November 10, 2015, 04:57:31 PM »

I don't like consolidation, but I understand that it may be necessary to meet the challenges at hand. I don't see a compelling argument for removing large swathes of regional autonomy. If anything, that would tend to have the opposite effect of what we need.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #484 on: November 10, 2015, 05:22:18 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 05:23:56 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

This is patently ridiculous. There is no way I am going to let this power be usurped from the regions in this new constitution. I came here to effect devolution, not the centralization of the right to pick these names. The DS/IDS and Most Serene Republic of the Midwest have the right to name themselves what they want. If the people of the South vote to change their name, then by golly sir, it will do so whether this Constitution likes it or not. That is the road to secession, my friend, I think your region's recent experience would illustrate the need to not repress regions in their cultural choices, otherwise they will seek other homes.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #485 on: November 10, 2015, 06:49:10 PM »

I'd like to remind everyone that the amendment under consideration deals with secession procedure, not the names of the Regions. Once this amendment has been adopted/rejected, I will call a STV principle vote in which ever delegate may propose names for the three Regions ("Let the Regions name themselves" would also be an option).

Per the delegate from the Mideast's objection, a vote is now open on Truman's amendment. Please vote AYE, NAY, or Abstain. Voting will last 48 hours or until all delegates have voted.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #486 on: November 10, 2015, 06:56:32 PM »

AYE!
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #487 on: November 10, 2015, 07:22:53 PM »

Aye
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #488 on: November 10, 2015, 07:46:02 PM »

Aye.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #489 on: November 10, 2015, 08:11:38 PM »

Aye
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #490 on: November 11, 2015, 06:21:54 AM »

Aye.

3/4th might be a little steep for me, but it's alright. As long as the right to self-determination is recognized to an extent, providing a check to federal tyranny, I'm happy with this.

Actually, Truman's  idea of regional names is a good one.

After all, the nation has a particular name, Atlasia.

There's a difference. What would the alternative be? "Nation?" There's no simple alternative analogous to "West" or "South" or whatever, so a particular name is, in that case, the most logical choice.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's a bit of a task to ask people to connect these names to those regions. They already connect the West, the South, and the North to the regions in question. It's natural. There's nothing new to learn.

So, you trust the federal government to come up with The Almighty Standard, but don't trust the regional governments with that ability? If it's so likely that the regions will screw it up, why are you so sure the federal government won't do the same?

And what on earth is wrong with culture? What on earth is wrong with individuality? Why on earth are you arguing for conformity over creativity? Rigid rules over the ability to make up our own minds on details that have nothing to do with the mechanics of the game, but merely the fun names and titles we give ourselves?

After talking about how terrible the idea of legislature-elected senators is, I'm shocked to hear you, Winfield, take such an elitist stance on this, centralizing the control among the highest up the pyramid, and leaving the regular folk to shut up and accept this one-size-fits-all approach, instead of fine-tuning the regions to what the people themselves want.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #491 on: November 11, 2015, 06:52:20 AM »

AYE

Some people just couldn't stand the fact that South had chosen to name itself first Dirty South and then Imperial Dominion of the South. Even though it hasn't been the latter for nine months, many are still burned by it.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #492 on: November 11, 2015, 07:48:39 AM »

Nay

Should be turnout based - as if only one person voted (and it was a vote in favour) it would be over 75% in favour. A 60% turnout of eligible voters would be my preference.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #493 on: November 11, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »

Aye
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #494 on: November 11, 2015, 10:53:48 AM »

Aye
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #495 on: November 11, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »

Abstain
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #496 on: November 12, 2015, 09:11:07 AM »

Yup
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #497 on: November 12, 2015, 11:31:24 AM »

Nay, 2/3 vote is fine.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #498 on: November 12, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »

Aye
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #499 on: November 12, 2015, 11:48:32 AM »

Nay.

Too high a threshold and doesn't take into account turn out considerations.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies