Number of Regions/Regional Governments (DEBATE CLOSED)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:15:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Number of Regions/Regional Governments (DEBATE CLOSED)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30
Author Topic: Number of Regions/Regional Governments (DEBATE CLOSED)  (Read 63070 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »

3 Regions sounds good to me. I also say we make a constitutional amendment banning attempts to secede.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
This is an Admendment.
I will, obviously, object to this.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 05:59:59 PM »

I personally prefer three regions.

When it comes to secession I think the two extremes here are both stupid. If a region wishes to secede it should be able to do so, through fair and proper procedure. Completely banning the concept or saying we shouldn't interfere, ever, are both shortsighted approaches.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 06:40:13 PM »

proposed amendment:

can i withdraw this and reïntroduce it later, so truman's amendment can go first?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 07:00:39 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 07:21:27 PM by Speaker NeverAgain »

I personally prefer three regions.

When it comes to secession I think the two extremes here are both stupid. If a region wishes to secede it should be able to do so, through fair and proper procedure. Completely banning the concept or saying we shouldn't interfere, ever, are both shortsighted approaches.
I agree partially. The Atlasian democracy has been and is based on fair representation, and with that goes the opportunity to free speech and talking to your representative. Secession is an extreme and frankly,  disastrous idea for Atlasia, and even the Northeast. I do agree that we should not ban the concept completely or ban the threat there of, but there is a limit. The people of Atlasia don't need government bureaucrats attempting to fight against its own government, just to have laws that they want enacted faster. If we allow secession, we are allowing any and all groups who feel they "do not belong" in Atlasia to just skip right out. With this in mind I am proposing a counter amendment to CC's.

I know this was badly worded, I will fix it if anyone supports this.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 07:08:17 PM »

I can only support this Admendment if you get rid of the national referendum and then change the wording to 'local assembly and have been passed by a referendum.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 07:09:26 PM »

But I still believe that the regions signed on to be part of this Union and with that they don't have the right to secede. Much, like the Confederacy and the Northeast is the Confederacy at this time.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 07:20:55 PM »

I can only support this Admendment if you get rid of the national referendum and then change the wording to 'local assembly and have been passed by a referendum.
Changed.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »

But I still believe that the regions signed on to be part of this Union and with that they don't have the right to secede. Much, like the Confederacy and the Northeast is the Confederacy at this time.

tsss

the vast, vast majority of present-day northeasterners were not around at the founding of atlasia. and even if they had been, everything is entirely different now than it was then.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 07:30:46 PM »

tsss

the vast, vast majority of present-day northeasterners were not around at the founding of atlasia. and even if they had been, everything is entirely different now than it was then.
I understand that sentiment but regions should only secede if the government is infringing on their citizens basic fined mental rights. Please tell me how the Atlasian government has infringed on your rights?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 07:33:58 PM »

tsss

Yes. It is. Does that mean the Northeast should secede though? Also, how do you feel on my amendment? As you and CC are the most outspoken on the issue, albeit from different sides, if you guys agree on this, (with modifications) the hope for this convention will grow stronger.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2015, 07:40:27 PM »

I would caution my fellow delegates against becoming fixated on a single aspect of the Regional system so early in the Convention. I don't discount the important of answering the secession question, but it's hardly the only issue before us.

Judging from the conversation in this thread, this seems to be where we stand at the moment:
- A majority support 3-Region consolidation
- An even split between those who favor a right to secede, those who oppose it, and those who want to make sure the process is carefully regulated
- No word on devolving more powers to the Regional governments

It makes the most sense to settle the issues we agree on first: therefore, I suggest that our next move (after my amendment to strike the current text has been adopted/rejected) be to settle on a map. For reference, here is the map adopted by the CARCA a few weeks ago, submitted by Griffin:

Assuming we go with a three-region system, how does everyone feel about this proposal?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 07:45:48 PM »

I would caution my fellow delegates against becoming fixated on a single aspect of the Regional system so early in the Convention. I don't discount the important of answering the secession question, but it's hardly the only issue before us.

Judging from the conversation in this thread, this seems to be where we stand at the moment:
- An even split between those who favor a right to secede, those who oppose it, and those who want to make sure the process is carefully regulated

It makes the most sense to settle the issues we agree on first: therefore, I suggest that our next move (after my amendment to strike the current text has been adopted/rejected) be to settle on a map. For reference, here is the map adopted by the CARCA a few weeks ago, submitted by Griffin:

Assuming we go with a three-region system, how does everyone feel about this proposal?
Looks good. I would consider Kansas being part of the south, Minnesota + Iowa being part of the West, and Maryland, Delaware, + (possibly) Missouri part of the Northeast. Just a few ideas.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »

I personally believe that the Midwest should go with the Mideast and the Pacific with the South. Why would you put two failing regions together you would get a giant barely thriving region. It doesn't make sense to put two failing regions together and then expect them to thrive, if you put a failing region together and a thriving one you will get a even more thriving region. Also, we should all start talking about devolution, but we've been to busy with the independence and seccesion debate.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 07:55:09 PM »

Give or take MN or IA.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 07:57:32 PM »

The CARCA map is fine with me.

Look, population changes are going to happen anyway and half the population is going to be purged from the rolls if they fail to vote in October (I know, I'm exaggerating, but I want to drive the point that current population numbers offer no guarantee moving forward), so we really should stop thinking of the old regions as they were, otherwise the whole consolidation process might end up in the ludicrous mentality of "But I want my region to the one to survive, screw the rest!".
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2015, 07:58:03 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 08:00:44 PM by low-energy loser evergreen »

the blue region would have probably 85-90% of activity. this is a silly map.

Also, how do you feel on my amendment? As you and CC are the most outspoken on the issue, albeit from different sides, if you guys agree on this, (with modifications) the hope for this convention will grow stronger.
at least it establishes a clear procedure?
but nah i'm not a big fan of the senate (especially, but not only, the current senate) being the arbiters of independence.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 08:07:42 PM »

I personally believe that the Midwest should go with the Mideast and the Pacific with the South. Why would you put two failing regions together you would get a giant barely thriving region. It doesn't make sense to put two failing regions together and then expect them to thrive, if you put a failing region together and a thriving one you will get a even more thriving region.

Personally, I'm wary of tying our new Regional map too closely to today's demographics. A merged South-Pacific, for example, would consist of ~23 states, including PR, while the Northeast would still have 10. At present, the vast majority of active citizens reside in and around New England and the Great Lakes, but who's to say it will be like that a year from now? It would be unfortunate to have to call another ConCon in two years because we bet on demographics remaining the same forever.

Griffin made a good point during the CARCA meetings that I think bears repeating: it's highly unlikely that active citizens are going to stay squeezed together in one region when there are opportunities to win office and effect legislation elsewhere. If each region only has 5 or 6 offices, ambitious citizens aren't all going to crowd into the Northeast when they could take advantage of a vacancy in, say, the South. The reason this isn't happening now is that there are so few active citizens compared to the number of offices; if we simultaneously reduce the number of positions and Regions, however, we should see the population balance out.

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2015, 08:12:10 PM »

Also, how do you feel on my amendment? As you and CC are the most outspoken on the issue, albeit from different sides, if you guys agree on this, (with modifications) the hope for this convention will grow stronger.
at least it establishes a clear procedure?
but nah i'm not a big fan of the senate (especially, but not only, the current senate) being the arbiters of independence.
You would support a referendum then?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 08:17:46 PM »

the blue region would have probably 85-90% of activity. this is a silly map.

Maps have been a contentious area of the debate for years. I would caution the delegates from becoming too fixated on a detail that has little impact in reality. Yes, a majority of individuals live in the blue region. However, I would assume (as has been proposed in the past) that all citizens will have the opportunity to have one free move, should a reduction in regions occur. This should hopefully counter concerns of one region becoming too overpopulated, though unless we put initial caps on the regions, may be uncontrollable.

Something to think about.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 09:58:50 PM »

I like the map from the standpoint of having three regions that make sense geographically.

The populations in the regions can be adapted to.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »

The number of regions I prefer is obviously a matter of public record, and quite frankly, the original reason why we're even having this ConCon in the first place!
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 12:21:40 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2015, 12:52:59 AM by Speaker Cris »

Evergreen retired his amendment.
Delegates have 24 hours to object to Truman's amendment:

[/quote]
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 01:57:47 AM »

I will not support anything less than three regions. If regions are to serve the purpose stated by the proponents of the two region proposal, there would not be enough offices to achieve that with such a proposal. In the South we have had two back to back elections for Governor, where the losing candidate has departed from the game. We need an appropriate balance and two regions just cuts too deep in this regard.

I think we have a solid proposal built a three region map and that is where we should be going.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2015, 02:45:33 AM »

I'm glad to see the debate has already been started up! Sorry to be a tad late to it. There's much to discuss, so I'll address several of the points together:

Three regions is best. What's the real difference between 2 regions and 3 regions, relative to now? They're both radical changes from what we currently have. If going from 5 to 3 regions isn't good enough, I don't think taking off another one will save us.

I think the CARCA map is a pretty good start, but I do have doubts regarding Minnesota, Iowa, Maryland, Delaware, and Nyman, DC. Specifically, I ask my fellow delegates, why would we move Minnesota and Iowa away from it's current region (most Midwestern states are in the new western region), to a region that, as Evergreen rightly points out, already has about twice as much activity as the other regions combined (at least as far as the Regional Governments Board)?

(Also, I feel weird putting DC, Maryland, and Delaware in the South. I suppose I'd allow it given the population disparities I mentioned above, but still, it feels as odd as putting North Carolina in the Northeast, or Michigan in the Pacific.)

Regarding secession, I think it's an important subject to discuss, but I agree we shouldn't beat the horse dead. For the record, I'm against the amendments of both the Pacific and Northeast Speakers, because I think they both go too far.

Let's back this up a bit, shall we? To the fundamental philosophical principles. What did you expect? We're building a constitution, not a sandwich. As you may know, it is my belief that government power is fundamentally derived from the rights of individual persons, and it is merely the government's job to safeguard those rights. Therefore, why can't they choose what government they want to safeguard those rights? Speaker Conservative pointed out a rather negative example of secession in 1861, but an example of secession in 1776 could also be brought up.

I'm not supporting or opposing Northeastern secession, or any specific secession (or, rather, that's not my purpose with this post), I'm just saying that I don't see the philosophical support for indiscriminately condemning every single one. The Federalists, my party, have always been a party of regional rights, so I'm surprised that the amendment comes from us. Explain to me what gives the federal government the right to keep regions from seceding under any and all circumstances and I'll change my tune, but until then I'll have to oppose that amendment.

Likewise, Speaker Evergreen's amendment also puts it in a one-size-fits-all manner. Maybe I would support it if it was more detailed--perhaps only of the secession attempt was supported by a federally-verified referendum that got 60% or something like that, but this could be via a 50%+1 vote, or even a legislative vote--heck, it would've made TNF's Communist Theme Park completely constitutional (unless of course someone opposed it, as they did, in which case it would've caused a Constitutional Crisis of ridiculous proportions due to the vagueness of the amendment).

In the South we have had two back to back elections for Governor, where the losing candidate has departed from the game.

That doesn't do it justice. We have had 3 straight region-wide single-winner elections where the loser has left: Flo > DeadPrez, PiT > Hagrid, and someone who's name I can't recall > DarTheBearNC. In fact, the last loser of a region-wide single-winner election in the South to not leave the game or go inactive immediately after is all the way back in February, a certain someone from North Carolina.

Not that it's that important of a distinction, mind you, it's just that it's a more impressive fact counting the Senate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies