Organization of the Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:35:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Organization of the Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Organization of the Convention  (Read 4122 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:17:25 PM »

Okay. Everyone (except Rocky, which is a special case I has been dealing with) has signed in as a delegate. We can therefore assume that all delegates are reading this forum and will be keeping up-to-date with the goings-on of the Constitutional Convention.

Now, before we really delve into how to construct an ideal Constitution, we need some semblance of order around here. Most of us have all sorts of ideas, some great and all in need of attention, but we can't just post them all over the board and expect this Convention to stay orderly. There needs to be some structure.

First off, we need to select someone to be in charge of the Convention; that is, someone to keep everything organized and running smoothly. This position (Presiding Officer of the Convention?) seems sufficient to keeping order. But we need to have some rules governing what the PO can and cannot do before we choose one, so I thought we should discuss that here.

Basically, I envision the position of PO as a guiding force for the Convention. We have all sorts of issues to tackle. (To name just a few: bicameral legislature v unicameral, presidential v parliamentary systems, universal participation in government or restricted participation, the electoral system, region reform, which enumerated rights the Constitution should contain, etc.) The PO should open and lead discussions on each topic as well as compiling proposals made by all of us. The PO is of course not solely responsible for raising important topics, but he would at least work to get discussion started and continuing. It would also be the duty of the PO to alert delegates to important decisions being made and also to keep the public informed of the goings-on at the Convention. In other words, I imagine it as a big job.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how we might better guide a Presiding Officer, or whether we should even have a Presiding Officer at all (or some alternative)?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 11:39:03 PM »

hmm... I think some sort of PO is definately needed and should preside over at least the organization of the proceedings lest everything devolve into chaos.

Perhaps we should start with a few separate threads that advocate different positions or regard certain aspects about our future government. Then these threads can simply brainstorming different ideas and give them a bit of time to develop.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 12:16:33 AM »

I think we should have a PO holding basically the same powers as the PPT in the senate
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:27:28 AM »

I think we should have a PO holding basically the same powers as the PPT in the senate

I second this idea. With of course some changes considering this is a convention and not an up or down vote. But that framework to base the PO on isn't bad.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 04:32:06 AM »

Verily,

I believe you would make an ideal Presiding Officer, with the responsibilities you detailed in your post here.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »

I considered that, but the Senate and this Convention have very different natures. We're not going to be introducing proposals and then shortly thereafter voting on them. Most of our energy will be directed towards discussing difficult issues before any proposals are put forward. That means the Presiding Officer needs to have both more and less discretionary power than the Senate's President pro tempore.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »

I second Verily.

I also tend to believe that the PO should not hold a 'high' federal office (how we define that is another matter) Whoever it is has to be active and as impartial as possible.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »

I also tend to believe that the PO should not hold a 'high' federal office (how we define that is another matter) Whoever it is has to be active and as impartial as possible.
I think another important quality is that the person should be involved with Atlasia for awhile, preferrably enough to know what failed with the last convention, but that is not key.  I, however, disagree and think the PO should be someone who does not hold a federal office at all and preferrably not a governor either.

I think Verily or Moderate would make a wonderful choice
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 01:58:31 PM »

Verily would be great.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 04:42:22 PM »

I'm thinking about it more and thinking other than for a few housekeeping ideas, why do we need a PO?  It seems like there will not be a lot of voting going on until much later in the convention.

I wish to formally nominate Verily for the position at this time
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 08:58:08 PM »

I too support Verily for the position, if he wants it, of course.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »

I'm thinking about it more and thinking other than for a few housekeeping ideas, why do we need a PO?  It seems like there will not be a lot of voting going on until much later in the convention.

I am not so concerned with voting. Rather, I think it is important that the Convention tackle the issues systematically. Smid's proposal (and there are probably others out there as well) is all well and good for a starting point, but multiple proposals means a massive synthesis project which would take longer and ultimately come out messier than building a Constitution from the ground up. Possibly with much of the heavy lifting coming from proposals like Smid's.

Anyway, I'm flattered that you all support me for PO. Don't feel obliged to do so just because I'm suggesting it...
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 09:52:49 PM »

Anyway, I'm flattered that you all support me for PO. Don't feel obliged to do so just because I'm suggesting it...

I realised you weren't suggesting it in order to get votes for the position, but I think you're the person ideally suited to the role.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 04:13:24 AM »

Verily would be acceptable. Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 01:21:58 PM »

Should we hold a vote on PO, then?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 01:33:29 PM »

I think we should, yes.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 05:26:28 PM »

Are there any nominations other than Verily? If not, we can probably agree that he's elected unopposed.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »

A vote might be a good idea, even if it simply comfirms that everyone is behind Verily.

I personally give my support to Verily.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies