If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:11:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be  (Read 70013 times)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« on: August 27, 2020, 10:34:01 AM »

-Bar voter ID, poll taxes, literacy tests, etc
Yesterday I considered an alternative 24th Amendment that banned literacy tests instead of poll taxes, and I concluded that, unlike the real 24th Amendment, an amendment to ban literacy tests would not have been ratified. This is because the four states of Alaska, Arizona, Montana and South Dakota would have been almost as opposed to an amendment banning literacy tests as the South. The threat of Native American political power at a local level – and as the 1992 and 1996 elections show as a potential balance of power in a statewide election – would have been viewed too dangerous by rulers of those states. That would mean a bloc of sixteen states (32 percent) intractably opposed, which would be enough to preclude ratification, and I am note sure that some other states which did ratify the actual 24th Amendment would not have taken more persuasion to ratify an amendment banning literacy tests.

When did those four states you mentioned repeal literacy tests for Native American voters?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 05:23:21 PM »

Establishing a unicameral legislature elected via STV, with each state as a multi-member constituency and seats allocated between states according to the Wyoming Rule; Electoral College abolition and replacement with the nationwide popular vote; term limits for federal judges; hard caps on corporate donations to campaigns.

My grand political ideals aren't really suitable for an amendment, so this is what I'd go for.

This is all good stuff, except for the Wyoming rule, which could lead to a massively over- or undersized legislature. Much better to stick to a fixed number - maybe 700-800?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies