If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:37:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be  (Read 70114 times)
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: July 29, 2020, 08:51:40 AM »

I would introduce a Constitutional Amendment that repeals Amendments II, III, IX, X and XXII.

I would also introduce a Constitutional Amendment that guarantees the unalienable right to vote to every citizen older than 18, and that all people will automatically get registered into voting rolls when they come of age or become citizens.
It would also repeal Amendments XV, XIX, XXIV and XXVI, which would not be meaningful anymore.

I also think that repealed Amendments should be completely expunged from the text of the Constitution.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:49:52 PM »

...that all people will automatically get registered into voting rolls when they come of age or become citizens.

The problem is not people getting on voting rolls. It is governments that do not do their jobs and update their voting rolls for people moving in and out and dying. In theory the census, annual tax records, etc. should inform voter rolls to be kept accurate. That doesn't happen.

Well that is "a problem" in the sense that voting registration is not automatic in all of the United States.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 01:29:20 PM »

...that all people will automatically get registered into voting rolls when they come of age or become citizens.

The problem is not people getting on voting rolls. It is governments that do not do their jobs and update their voting rolls for people moving in and out and dying. In theory the census, annual tax records, etc. should inform voter rolls to be kept accurate. That doesn't happen.

Well that is "a problem" in the sense that voting registration is not automatic in all of the United States.

People don't report they move. (I'm moving in the next couple weeks. I will report I'm moving, but most don't.) Election boards don't update for people moving in or out or people dying. This is a know for everywhere. Part of the reason California takes 2 months to count an election is because they don't do any voting roll maintenance. That's why DMV's is a huge part of voter registration but that's only once every 5 years when you register and update your driver's license. Evan Bayh who was a Governor and Senator from Indiana was removed from Indiana voter rolls because he was living in the D.C. area and never responded to multiple mailers from the state to his listed Indiana address. So he was removed because they were unsure he was still a state resident. You can't have automatic registration for people that you don't know are residents, either on a state or a county level.

You also can't have automatic voting registration until you keep a list of citizens, and one doesn't exist. The census doesn't ask people's citizenship status.

About your last point: do you also mean that local census bureau offices do not keep track of citizenship status?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 05:28:07 PM »

You also can't have automatic voting registration until you keep a list of citizens, and one doesn't exist. The census doesn't ask people's citizenship status.

About your last point: do you also mean that local census bureau offices do not keep track of citizenship status?

No. Trump tried to add this as a question to the census and it was blocked by the Democrats/courts.

I know about the 2020 Census question thing, but I thought that local offices had citizenship lists.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 07:35:50 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2020, 07:41:12 PM by Battista Minola 1616 »

No. Trump tried to add this as a question to the census and it was blocked by the Democrats/courts.

I know about the 2020 Census question thing, but I thought that local offices had citizenship lists.

If they did, then Trump would've never needed to try adding a citizenship question.

I mean, I have just found out that the United States have no resident registration.
Which I should probably have already known given that infra-Census population estimates are apparently always based on household surveys like the ACS.
Or by looking at StateBoiler's updated post, but I read it before it was updated.

I am simply so used to the fact that Italy has compulsory resident registration, which keeps also track of citizenship status. And of course, register offices have this information independently of the Census.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies