Last Realigning Election for each region of the Country
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:55:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Last Realigning Election for each region of the Country
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Last Realigning Election for each region of the Country  (Read 1272 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2015, 04:40:25 PM »

For the Northeast, the last realignment election could either argue to be 1960, or 1992. I would argue 1960, as the Northeast was won by Republicans only 4 times since, 72, 80, 84, and 88.

For the Midwest, I would say the last realignment election would be 1992.

For the South, I would argue The last realignment election would be 1980, As Republicans have won a majority of states in this segment each election since. (12,14,13,8,8,14,14,11,12)

For the West, I would argue 1992 would be the last realignment election. This has been a tossup region ever since then.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 06:53:55 PM »

Wasn't the South still Carter's best region in 1980?  As crazy as it might sound, the best choice for Dixie might be 1984.

Then again, when you look at the county results, Reagan prevailed in most of the South because of his strength in "New South" areas (suburban and urban areas with lots of Northern transplants), and he actually lost most of the old Solid South rural counties.  So that election really showed how the makeup of the Southern electorate was changing as much as how its existing voters were changing their minds.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies