Galloway likens Sen. Norm Coleman to Joe McCarthy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:00:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Galloway likens Sen. Norm Coleman to Joe McCarthy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Galloway likens Sen. Norm Coleman to Joe McCarthy  (Read 7846 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2005, 10:34:26 PM »

The amusement continues.

Surprised this comment didn't come from BRTD himself.  Tongue

British legislator likens Coleman to McCarthy[/b]

Kevin Diaz and Rob Hotakainen,  Star Tribune Washington Bureau Correspondents
May 13, 2005

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A day after Sen. Norm Coleman implicated a member of Parliament in a U.N. oil-for-food scheme, the British legislator shot back Thursday in a cross-Atlantic exchange of words.

The legislator, George Galloway, likened Coleman to the late Wisconsin Sen. Joseph McCarthy, a characterization that sets the scene for a televised confrontation on Capitol Hill Tuesday, one that could further raise the Minnesota Republican's profile.

Coleman already has gained international attention for calling on U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan to resign as a result of the oil-for-food scandal.

The latest showdown began Wednesday when the Senate's permanent subcommittee on investigations, which Coleman chairs, released a report accusing Galloway and former French Interior Minister Charles Pasqua of accepting vouchers for millions of barrels of Iraqi oil -- which could then be resold at immense profit -- in exchange for their support of Saddam Hussein's regime.

Galloway, who was expelled from Britain's Labor Party in 2003 for urging British soldiers not to fight in Iraq, responded by calling Coleman's panel a "lickspittle Republican committee, acting on the wishes of George Bush." He also likened Coleman to the late senator and anti-Communist crusader McCarthy.

"Joseph McCarthy must be smiling admirably in Hades," said Galloway, vowing to come to Capitol Hill to confront Coleman on Tuesday, when the subcommittee holds a hearing on the allegations.

Coleman said he welcomes the encounter. "There will be a witness chair and microphone available for Mr. Galloway's use," he said.

Both Galloway and Pasqua have strenuously denied any wrongdoing. Only Galloway, however, has offered to rebut the allegations in person.

"I'll be there to give them both barrels -- verbal guns, of course, not oil," he said. "I welcome the opportunity to clear my name. My first words will be 'Senator, it's a pity that we are having this interview after you have found me guilty. Even in Kafka there was the semblance of a trial.' "

Return fire

Coleman parried Galloway's assertion that the Senate panel rebuffed his efforts to respond to the subcommittee before.

"Contrary to his assertions, at no time did Mr. Galloway contact [the committee] by any means, including but not limited to telephone, fax, e-mail, letter, Morse code or carrier pigeon," Coleman said.

Coleman's allegations, part of his continuing probe of the oil-for-food program, produced big news overseas.

"I've just been watching Senator Coleman on television here tonight, which is the first time I've got a glimpse of him. It's just clearly a kangaroo court," said Ron McKay, a Galloway spokesman.

At a news conference, British Prime Minister Tony Blair said the government has no plans to independently investigate the charges against Galloway, but he added that it "depends what emerges."

The bipartisan committee report alleges that Galloway received allocations worth 20 million barrels from 2000 to 2003. Evidence in the report also suggests that he used a children's leukemia charity he founded as a cover to conceal oil payments. Pasqua is alleged to have received allocations worth 11 million barrels from 1999 to 2000.

The oil-for-food program was set up by the U.N. to let Saddam's government sell oil in exchange for humanitarian goods during the period of U.N. sanctions following the 1991 Gulf War.

Since then, a number of investigations, including Coleman's, have found that Saddam used the $64 billion program to peddle influence with officials in the U.N. and in foreign governments.

Galloway, a controversial figure in British politics, was re-elected to Parliament under the banner of his left-wing Respect Party in last week's elections.

Veteran Congress watchers say the showdown with Galloway presents Coleman with unique political opportunities and risks.

"This is a dream come true for Coleman," said David Schultz, who teaches American politics at Hamline University in St. Paul. "You don't lose votes by picking fights with foreign officials. Though if [Galloway] were French it would have been better."

Norman Ornstein, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington, said the encounter is bound to get a lot of attention, but he warned that it could backfire on Coleman if Galloway is able to disprove any of the allegations.

The charges against Galloway are not new, but rather more detailed than previous reports.

Galloway filed a libel suit over earlier British press reports on the allegations, winning $1.4 million from the Daily Telegraph last year. He also accepted undisclosed damages and a public apology from the Christian Science Monitor over a similar article alleging that he took money from Saddam's regime. Documents in that report were later proved to be forgeries.

Andy Brehm, a spokesman for Coleman, said the subcommittee's allegations are based on different records. "The documents in the subcommittee's report have been substantiated by former Iraqi officials interviewed by [Senate] staff," he said.

As for Galloway's references to McCarthy and "lickspittle," Brehm demurred: "We're not going to dignify that."
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 10:43:02 PM »

I would love to see Galloway get grilled by a Congressional cmte..... We could make Oona a temporary Congresswoman for the purpose of questioning Mr. Galloway Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 10:45:54 PM »

They're both worthless pieces of crap. Case closed.
MissCatholic

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 10:11:22 AM »

this is going to be very interesting on tuesday.

Galloway has alot of things to say about spineless Republicans and the way they kiss bushs arse.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 10:48:26 AM »

Was it Galloway's choice to appear before the committee?  Otherwise, what right does our government have to pull a foreign official in for questioning?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 10:51:50 AM »

King and Galloway? Or King and Coleman? Or Coleman and Galloway? Or Pasqua and Galloway? Come to think of it, that's my favorite interpretation of your statement. Pasqua is one man about whose worthlessness I have never had any doubts.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 10:53:13 AM »

Was it Galloway's choice to appear before the committee?  Otherwise, what right does our government have to pull a foreign official in for questioning?
Yes. It was his choice. Heck, they've found him guilty already. He's got nothing to lose. At least not with his party's potential voters. The general public is a very different thing, obviously. But I don't think he cares about that anymore.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 10:59:43 AM »

King and Galloway? Or King and Coleman? Or Coleman and Galloway? Or Pasqua and Galloway? Come to think of it, that's my favorite interpretation of your statement. Pasqua is one man about whose worthlessness I have never had any doubts.

Coleman and Galloway
MissCatholic

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 11:03:39 AM »

Galloway chose to appear in the commitee. he is furious that the republican attack machine has made comments and accusations about him without asking him any questions.

His number one goal is the removal of Blair (will happen by the end of the year) and the removal and arrest of bush!

it is a must see on tuesday. galloway will have a go at coleman.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 12:16:08 PM »

Galloway is right, Coleman and the present day GOP are similar to McCarthy and the fifties GOP.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 12:29:48 PM »

Coleman and Galloway
Yeah, I know. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 12:30:51 PM »

Galloway chose to appear in the commitee. he is furious that the republican attack machine has made comments and accusations about him without asking him any questions.

His number one goal is the removal of Blair (will happen by the end of the year) and the removal and arrest of bush!

it is a must see on tuesday. galloway will have a go at coleman.
Yeah, it might make for fascinating viewing. (Wants C-SPAN here)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 12:36:51 PM »

Don't you just love the way Galloway manages to insult pretty much everyone who had their lives ruined by McCarthy in a pathetic attempt to save himself from falling into the big hole that he's dug? Roll Eyes

I should point out that he doesn't have to come, the only reason why there was any pressure on him to come was due to his own ego-tripping lie about requesting to be seen by the committee a year or so back and that his reaction to the initial news could be described as one of panic...

As far as most people over here are concerned he's as guilty as hell (he managed to blow any symphathy he had, which wasn't much, due to some election a week or so ago) and I suspect that anything he does now will be an attempt to shore up his standings with the Bethnal Green Bangladeshi's and to try to stop being expelled from the Commons. He currently stands a very good chance at becoming the first M.P to be expelled by the House since (IIRC) 1954.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2005, 12:38:23 PM »

I should add that I'd rather the hearing thingy not descending into farce, but as this is Galloway there's no chance of that *not* happening...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 12:40:13 PM »

I should add that I'd rather the hearing thingy not descending into farce, but as this is Galloway there's no chance of that *not* happening...
No, indeed not.

What are the rules for expelling a member of the commons?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 12:47:28 PM »

Been checking up on this; IIRC a select committee recommends a motion of expusion, which the House then votes on. That's it.

Further checking shows that the last M.P to be expelled from the Commons was a Tory M.P from Norfolk in 1954 but had the motion to expel Stonehouse in '75  not been delayed not to predjudice his trial, and had he not resigned before it could be done again, he would have been the most recent.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 01:13:40 AM »

Don't you just love the way Galloway manages to insult pretty much everyone who had their lives ruined by McCarthy in a pathetic attempt to save himself from falling into the big hole that he's dug? Roll Eyes

I should point out that he doesn't have to come, the only reason why there was any pressure on him to come was due to his own ego-tripping lie about requesting to be seen by the committee a year or so back and that his reaction to the initial news could be described as one of panic...

As far as most people over here are concerned he's as guilty as hell (he managed to blow any symphathy he had, which wasn't much, due to some election a week or so ago) and I suspect that anything he does now will be an attempt to shore up his standings with the Bethnal Green Bangladeshi's and to try to stop being expelled from the Commons. He currently stands a very good chance at becoming the first M.P to be expelled by the House since (IIRC) 1954.

Not to put you on the spot but do you know for what reason was the MP expelled in 1954?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 11:21:35 AM »

And the hearing whatsit is over.
I don't *think* that Galloway will want to be in the same room as Senator Levin ever again Grin
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 11:24:28 AM »

Not to put you on the spot but do you know for what reason was the MP expelled in 1954?

"Convicted of uttering forged documents. Forged signatures on letters purporting to guarantee debts in excess of £100,000 owed by his companies."

http://www.election.demon.co.uk/expulsions.html
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 11:25:52 AM »

Been checking up on this; IIRC a select committee recommends a motion of expusion, which the House then votes on. That's it.

Further checking shows that the last M.P to be expelled from the Commons was a Tory M.P from Norfolk in 1954 but had the motion to expel Stonehouse in '75  not been delayed not to predjudice his trial, and had he not resigned before it could be done again, he would have been the most recent.
What happens next? By-election? Is the expelled member allowed to stand again? Can he be expelled again for the same offense?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 11:30:39 AM »

If an M.P is expelled there's a by-election. I don't think an expelled M.P is allowed to stand again, but I don't know for sure.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 11:42:43 AM »

And the hearing whatsit is over.
I don't *think* that Galloway will want to be in the same room as Senator Levin ever again Grin

So what exactly happened at the hearing?  I wasn't able to watch it because I'm at work.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 11:45:08 AM »

Question seconded.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 11:56:07 AM »

Note this is just my opinion, others may disagree.

Galloway gave a fairly standard issue rant which had little to do with the reason why he was there... oh he threw in a couple of soundbites... and didn't answer the early questions (from Coleman I think) all that badly for the most part. He ran into a spot of bother with Levin, who basically tore him to pieces (and very nice to watch that part was Grin ). Galloway kept trying to dodge Levin's questions.
Towards the end of the hearing, Galloway was asked how friendly he was/is with Tariq Aziz and admitted that he (Aziz) was a "dear friend". He also admitted to have met Aziz in person "many times". He admitted that this was over 15, but didn't go further.
Coleman was grinning after that.

Overall, he did pretty badly, failed to "clear his name" and offered up sod all evidence that would do so.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2005, 11:57:58 AM »

Is the expelled member allowed to stand again? Can he be expelled again for the same offense?
Yes; an expelled member may seek re-election (for the same seat or for another seat), and may be expelled again. The record probably belongs to John Wilkes, who was expelled three times in 1769, but was re-elected each time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies