Is the GOP still haunted by the 1992 Convention?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:25:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Is the GOP still haunted by the 1992 Convention?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Is the GOP still haunted by the 1992 Convention?  (Read 7728 times)
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2015, 08:37:38 AM »

Before the 1992 Republican Convention in Houston the GOP had won 5 of the previous 6 Presidential elections.  At the convention Pat Buchanan made his now famous speech basically declaring Holy war and the rest of the Religious right seemed to do all they could to scare moderate Americans away from the party.

Since then the Democrats have won the popular vote in 5 of 6 elections.  These are the states the Dems. have won 6 out of 6, totaling 242 Electoral votes. Just 28 short of 270.

Women, once a swing vote, now vote mostly Democratic. Young people, upset that the GOP hates their gay friends, vote overwhelmingly Democratic. And Religious minorities, and those of no religion, are also very unlikely to vote for the GOP.

Even people who only 'Occasionally' go to Church backed Obama in 2012 55-43.

So is this my secular queer bias? Or is there something here?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 09:17:51 AM »

Just one Florida short.
bobloblaw
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 10:22:51 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2015, 10:26:15 AM by bobloblaw »

Before the 1992 Republican Convention in Houston the GOP had won 5 of the previous 6 Presidential elections.  At the convention Pat Buchanan made his now famous speech basically declaring Holy war and the rest of the Religious right seemed to do all they could to scare moderate Americans away from the party.

Since then the Democrats have won the popular vote in 5 of 6 elections.  These are the states the Dems. have won 6 out of 6, totaling 242 Electoral votes. Just 28 short of 270.

Women, once a swing vote, now vote mostly Democratic. Young people, upset that the GOP hates their gay friends, vote overwhelmingly Democratic. And Religious minorities, and those of no religion, are also very unlikely to vote for the GOP.

yes, your bias is queer.

1988 unemployment 5.4%. 1992 unemployment 7.7%. That is why the GOP lost in 1992. Not the convention.

And since that time, the unemployment rate has favored the Dems in 1996, 2008, 2012 and probably 2016. Gore the idiot blew it with a 3.8% unemployment rate. he should have won by 5 at least.

The "blue wall" is a myth. In Nov 2016, unemployment could be as low as 4%. We'll see how well Clinton does in 2020 with unemployment still above 6-7% after the 2018 recession.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »

That convention was the end of any moderate rule by the GOP, although with what has happened socially in this nation the past few years, there is a chance for moderates to gain some traction again.
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 11:13:31 PM »

Before the 1992 Republican Convention in Houston the GOP had won 5 of the previous 6 Presidential elections.  At the convention Pat Buchanan made his now famous speech basically declaring Holy war and the rest of the Religious right seemed to do all they could to scare moderate Americans away from the party.

Since then the Democrats have won the popular vote in 5 of 6 elections.  These are the states the Dems. have won 6 out of 6, totaling 242 Electoral votes. Just 28 short of 270.

Lets see-women once a swing vote, now vote mostly democratic-The GOP loses the women vote because Hispanic and Black Women vote Dem overwhelmingly.

Young People, upset the GOP hates their gay friends  vote Dem-You mean the GOP is for not being for gay marriage and yes young people can't understand why the GOP takes that position.

Minorities regardless of affiliated with or without a religion vote Dem-Minorities have always voted Dem and its been that way for decades except for Asians who used to vote GOP and now have voted Dem in the last 4 Presidential Elections.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 11:19:36 PM »

No. The patterns aren't much different, but consider this: states like Wyoming, Montana, and Arizona (less religious than average) still vote pretty Republican. States that are moderately religious like Pennsylvania and Minnesota still vote Democratic. Certainly that kind of rhetoric will continue to alienate folks on the west coast and in New England, but it won't be THE reason they deny the Republican Party their electors.
hopper
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 11:21:02 PM »

Before the 1992 Republican Convention in Houston the GOP had won 5 of the previous 6 Presidential elections.  At the convention Pat Buchanan made his now famous speech basically declaring Holy war and the rest of the Religious right seemed to do all they could to scare moderate Americans away from the party.

Since then the Democrats have won the popular vote in 5 of 6 elections.  These are the states the Dems. have won 6 out of 6, totaling 242 Electoral votes. Just 28 short of 270.

yes, your bias is queer.

1988 unemployment 5.4%. 1992 unemployment 7.7%. That is why the GOP lost in 1992. Not the convention.

And since that time, the unemployment rate has favored the Dems in 1996, 2008, 2012 and probably 2016. Gore the idiot blew it with a 3.8% unemployment rate. he should have won by 5 at least.

The "blue wall" is a myth. In Nov 2016, unemployment could be as low as 4%. We'll see how well Clinton does in 2020 with unemployment still above 6-7% after the 2018 recession.
Well Reagan in a blowout in 1984 with 8% unemployment, and Obama won re-election in 2012 with 7% unemployment. True the unemployment rate favored the Dems in 1996. What was the un-employment rate in 2008? 6% on election day?

hopper
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 11:28:52 PM »

No. The patterns aren't much different, but consider this: states like Wyoming, Montana, and Arizona (less religious than average) still vote pretty Republican. States that are moderately religious like Pennsylvania and Minnesota still vote Democratic. Certainly that kind of rhetoric will continue to alienate folks on the west coast and in New England, but it won't be THE reason they deny the Republican Party their electors.
That's mainly because of voters that live in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Portland, and Seattle. Yeah New England you are right except for New Hampshire.
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 11:34:54 PM »

2008 the Republicans had no shot of winning because of the housing crisis and Obama was such a great candidate. 2012 the Republicans could have won but on the question Does(Romney) care about people like me? He lost on that question 81-11% and that basically was the election right there. Romney won on 3 or 4 questions but on the caring question that was basically Obama's margin of victory right there.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 01:18:19 AM »

I would add Va, NV & NH and you will get 270. And Dems can certainly win CO or OH or FL.

But Dems are actually 9 votes short at 263 if you put NV, NM and as red, too.

But I like Dems chances in Va.

The GOP is once again the underdog.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 04:24:37 AM »

They've improved, the democrats however are haunted after 92', with losing the house and state legislatures and governorships.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »

They've improved, the democrats however are haunted after 92', with losing the house and state legislatures and governorships.

They hsve lost the 272 map & OH, Va and Latino state of FL. The 2012 map still is in play in 2016.

But the GOP own the House and Dems are at parity in Senate. We will see as far as govs in 2018 when the govs are term limited.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 01:50:54 PM »

The "Religious Right" (or its Puritan ancestors) has always been a pain in the a*s and an asset at the same time.  They're simply declining each year as a share of the population.

The myth is that they haven't literally ALWAYS (yes, I mean always) been a significant voice in the GOP.
bobloblaw
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 04:07:31 PM »

yes, your bias is queer.

Well Reagan in a blowout in 1984 with 8% unemployment, and Obama won re-election in 2012 with 7% unemployment. True the unemployment rate favored the Dems in 1996. What was the un-employment rate in 2008? 6% on election day?

In 1996, it was 5.4% or so.

In 1984, unemployment was 3.5% lower than in 1982. In 2012, unemployment was about 2.5% lower than in 2010.
tinman64

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.57

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 04:12:39 PM »

This is the truth: I was a registered Republican from 1984 to 1992, and considered myself a "Rockefeller Republican." I aligned myself with the eastern industrialist/internationalist wing of the GOP in the Willkie/Dewey/Stassen/Eisenhower/Rockefeller mold.

I lukewarmly supported Bush Sr. in  the CA primary. I was disgusted by much of the tenor and dialogue in the GOP convention that year. I re-registered as an Independent (aka "Decline to State" in CA) and haven't voted for a Republican for president since.

So I, at least, am still haunted by the 1992 convention.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 04:23:16 PM »

This is the truth: I was a registered Republican from 1984 to 1992, and considered myself a "Rockefeller Republican." I aligned myself with the eastern industrialist/internationalist wing of the GOP in the Willkie/Dewey/Stassen/Eisenhower/Rockefeller mold.

I lukewarmly supported Bush Sr. in  the CA primary. I was disgusted by much of the tenor and dialogue in the GOP convention that year. I re-registered as an Independent (aka "Decline to State" in CA) and haven't voted for a Republican for president since.

Amen. I undoubtedly would've been among that group
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »

Same.  But I think just about the worst response/least helpful course of action is to re-register.  You just let the Pat Buchanans win, and it's not exactly like the Democrats are offering that "viewset" a perfect landscape either.
bobloblaw
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 11:09:36 PM »

Other than Ike, youve aligned yourself with LOSERS
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 11:25:24 PM »

Reagan was a moderate conservative
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »

It's the economy stupid.

Bush lost in 1992 because he was out of touch regarding the economy.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 11:49:54 AM »

It's the economy stupid.

Bush lost in 1992 because he was out of touch regarding the economy.
That is true, but many point to that Culture Wars speech as the official time of the Christian Right's hijacking of the GOP and the moment that moderates started voting Democratic, especially in the suburbs, where Republicans have lost serious support since '90.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »

How many voters today actually know/ are motivated by Pat Buchanan?
bobloblaw
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 10:26:23 PM »

He was a conservative and the most conservative since Goldwater in 64
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 10:33:59 PM »

Women, once a swing vote, now vote mostly Democratic.

Lets see-women once a swing vote, now vote mostly democratic-The GOP loses the women vote because Hispanic and Black Women vote Dem overwhelmingly.

Right, "because those weirdo brown and black things with vaginas aren't really women! Among real women, the GOP still wins!".
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 10:36:44 PM »

He was a conservative and the most conservative since Goldwater in 64

George W Bush was certainly more conservative
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies