Liberal Party (Australia) Leadership Ballot - Sept. 14
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:12:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Liberal Party (Australia) Leadership Ballot - Sept. 14
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Liberal Party (Australia) Leadership Ballot - Sept. 14  (Read 4325 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2015, 07:07:37 AM »

Maggie chose to stand down before the inevitable hammering by Hezza, tho. Tongue

Yes, she had more self-respect than Abbott. Wink
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »

I wonder what the Right will do now. In particular the Cory Bernardi's of the party.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2015, 07:28:07 AM »

Great... hope Turncoatbull loses the next election, the Liberals really need to rebuild! The fact that we're stuck with him as PM for another year makes me shudder!

Yes, terrible you end up with someone who has a chance to connect with the middle-Australia that wins elections. The Coalition needs to speak to the non-ideological voters on kitchen-table issues and speak to the better angels of people's nature, not their baser instincts.

I truly hope the next election has a better chance of being a contest of ideas.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »

Hilarious.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2015, 10:20:06 AM »

As much as I dislike Abbott this is bad for Labor right?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »

Wrong thread Cheesy
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »

As much as I dislike Abbott this is bad for Labor right?

For the time being anyway. It's worth remembering that Mal's time as Opposition Leader was widely ridiculed and panned as elitist and poorly run, so he may offer false hope (see also: the return of KRudd).
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2015, 01:24:31 PM »

Well, good riddance to Abbott.

Are these things becoming more common, or is it just Rudd v. Gillard distorting the records?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2015, 05:08:04 PM »

Fantastic news! Cheesy All of Australia must be sighing in relief...
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »

Fantastic news! Cheesy All of Australia must be sighing in relief...

Why? It means another decade of Lib government...
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »

So Abbott still hasn't given a statement. Very ungracious.

It should be noted that both Kevin Rudd (yes, even him) and Julia Gillard faced the cameras immediately after far more brutal coups.

As for Turnbull, I'm cautiously optimistic he'll be a decent supporter. You can probably expect the Coalition to take a decisive lead in the polls soon.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »

I still find it bizarre how quickly the knives come out in Australia. There are two reasonably similar times this happened in Canada (Dief '67, and Clark '83), and in both cases the enemies of the leader didn't try anything until they had actually lost an election Tongue
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2015, 09:05:18 PM »

I still find it bizarre how quickly the knives come out in Australia. There are two reasonably similar times this happened in Canada (Dief '67, and Clark '83), and in both cases the enemies of the leader didn't try anything until they had actually lost an election Tongue

Or, in Dief's case, two consecutively Tongue

But, in Canada as I understand it, it's much harder to force a spill motion -- for instance, I've read that a majority of Liberal Party members preferred Paul Martin over Jean Chretien starting from the late '90s, but Chretien still hung on until 2003.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2015, 09:55:54 PM »

Such a move in Canada would backfire electorally.  People here think the PM is like the President, so trying to oust him would be like a coup, and would sink the party deep in the polls for doing something undemocratic. A party would have to be absolutely toxic to risk that.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2015, 10:29:38 PM »

Is there a chance Turnbull will call an election a year early to take advantage of the honeymoon and silence internal dissent? Or would that backfire like in Alberta five months ago?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2015, 12:15:02 AM »

Is there a chance Turnbull will call an election a year early to take advantage of the honeymoon and silence internal dissent? Or would that backfire like in Alberta five months ago?

No idea, his comments so far have been about the Parliament running its term. But if they get a decent bounce, I wouldn't put it past them to manufacture some kind of excuse to go early.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2015, 12:29:39 AM »

No idea, his comments so far have been about the Parliament running its term. But if they get a decent bounce, I wouldn't put it past them to manufacture some kind of excuse to go early.

I think it would backfire, plus it would be a House-only election at this point in time, unless the double dissolution triggers (from when Abbott was in office) are used, and I don't think Turnbull will do that.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2015, 07:53:56 AM »

http://newsthump.com/2015/09/14/australian-pm-ousted-after-losing-drinking-competition/
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2015, 10:37:40 AM »

Such a move in Canada would backfire electorally.  People here think the PM is like the President, so trying to oust him would be like a coup, and would sink the party deep in the polls for doing something undemocratic. A party would have to be absolutely toxic to risk that.

It's more that such processes don't have formal mechanism it seems.  When Gordon Campbell quit it was because the caucus was moving against him, but not because someone called a formal vote. It was simply and painfully made apparent to him that he did not have the confidence of the party. 

The closes similarity I can think of in recent years was the fall of Carol James' leadership of the BCNDP.  That was fairly swift, and ended in a caucus meeting in Vancouver where the handing out of pro-james scarves was somewhat polarizing
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2015, 11:03:47 AM »

A formal mechanism doesn't exist because it wouldn't be seen as democratic.

A similar scenario happened in Manitoba, where Selinger had the voters (well, NDP members) choose who to be leader. I think this is what Canadians would expect. Either the leader sees the writing on the wall and resigns, or puts it up to a vote of the membership (not the MPs/MLAs)
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2015, 02:32:00 AM »

I think it would backfire, plus it would be a House-only election at this point in time, unless the double dissolution triggers (from when Abbott was in office) are used, and I don't think Turnbull will do that.

It would be a DD without a shadow of a doubt. But I'm 95% sure they'll go by March.
DL
Canada

« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2015, 06:37:17 AM »

A similar scenario happened in Manitoba, where Selinger had the voters (well, NDP members) choose who to be leader. I think this is what Canadians would expect. Either the leader sees the writing on the wall and resigns, or puts it up to a vote of the membership (not the MPs/MLAs)

You are forgetting that in Canada party leaders have been toppled at party conventions when there has been a leadership review that didn't pass some imaginary threshold. In 1982 Joe Clark was toppled as PC leader when he only got 67% of his one party to support him. He then ran to succeed himself and lost. Similarly Ralph Klein quit as Premier and Alberta PC leader after he only got a 55% vote of confidence in a leadership review.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2015, 06:55:21 AM »

You are forgetting that in Canada party leaders have been toppled at party conventions when there has been a leadership review that didn't pass some imaginary threshold. In 1982 Joe Clark was toppled as PC leader when he only got 67% of his one party to support him. He then ran to succeed himself and lost. Similarly Ralph Klein quit as Premier and Alberta PC leader after he only got a 55% vote of confidence in a leadership review.

This is not the same thing. In those instances, it was party members doing. In Australia, it was just the caucus.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2015, 08:27:37 AM »

This is not the same thing. In those instances, it was party members doing. In Australia, it was just the caucus.

Yeah, the fact that the Prime Minister of the 15-ish world power can be toppled by nothing more than a vote among a bunch of a hundred of party apparatchiks is... unsettling, to say the least. Makes Australia look a bit sovietic, tbh, and not in the good sense of the word. Wink
DL
Canada

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2015, 09:01:33 AM »

Margaret Thatcher was dumped by her own caucus in 1990 as well
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies