NYC Mayor's race: Bloomberg leads all challengers (Quinnipiac)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:41:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor's race: Bloomberg leads all challengers (Quinnipiac)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Mayor's race: Bloomberg leads all challengers (Quinnipiac)  (Read 1375 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2005, 04:27:57 PM »

Sort of backs up what Marist polled a week or two ago that I posted here

Looks like Marist pushed some more undecideds to pick a candidate, but fundamentally the numbers aren't very different.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x11370.xml?ReleaseID=681

Against the major Democrat candidates:

Bloomberg 47%, Freddy Ferrer 38%
Bloomberg 43%, Virginia Fields 38%
Bloomberg 44%, Anthony Weiner 32%
Bloomberg 42%, Gifford Miller 35%

Approval rating:  47% approve, 47% disapprove.

In the Democrat primary, the numbers are:

Ferrer 27%, Fields 23%, Weiner 13%, Miller 11%.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 03:47:56 PM »

In what would have proved a total shock to me a couple months ago, Bloomberg will beat Ferrer and be re-elected for a second term.

That's nothing short of amazing...but he is Bloomberg, after all.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 06:02:10 AM »

Ferrer? A Hispanic I reckon? What sort of Hispanic - Puertorican? Never heard of any of these Dems save Queens congressman Anthony Weiner, btw. City politicians or is anybody in the race who used to be in state politics? (No other congressmen, obviously, I'd have noticed.)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 08:52:43 AM »

Ferrer? A Hispanic I reckon? What sort of Hispanic - Puertorican? Never heard of any of these Dems save Queens congressman Anthony Weiner, btw. City politicians or is anybody in the race who used to be in state politics? (No other congressmen, obviously, I'd have noticed.)

Ferrer is Puerto Rican (dominant Hispanic group in NYC) and has run for mayor a number of times.

Virginia Fields is black and is the Borough President of Manhattan.

Gifford Miller is white and is the Speaker of the City Council.

Those are basically the main candidates.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 09:47:50 AM »

Thanks Sam.
WilliamSeward
sepoy1857
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 05:48:05 PM »

Bloomberg and John Lindsay were supposed Republicans but weren't they rally Democrats? New York politics is strange.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 05:59:38 PM »

Lindsay was a Republican who swtiched to the Democrats once he was in office.  He was a terrible mayor.

Bloomberg is a Democrat who switched to the Republicans to avoid the crowded Democratic primary field.  It was a long-shot ploy that worked.

Bloomberg is more liberal than the typical Republican but he has kept crime down, which is something that a Democrat could never have done.

Within the pathetic confines of New York City politics, you don't get anybody much better than Bloomberg who is electable, and any other the viable alternatives are far worse.

I think Bloomberg will probably win re-election.  New York City voters are basically in 4 blocks -- Blue collar whites in the outer boroughs, white Manhattan elites, blacks and hispanics.

The blue collar whites in the outer boroughs are strongly anti-black, and will vote in droves against a minority candidate unless he/she is very moderate, which is unlikely.  Virginia Fields won't stand a chance with these voters.  Even a white candidate who is perceived as catering too much to blacks will do very poorly among these people.

The black voters vote Democratic no matter what, and will vote especially strongly for a black candidate.

The balance is held by the hispanics and elite Manhattan whites.  Bloomberg does relatively well with both these groups.  Giuliani won because enough of the people in these groups abandoned Dinkins to vote for him, and they elected Bloomberg also.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 09:39:26 PM »

Bloomberg's done a good job.  In the last year especially, my opinion of him has gone from the toilet to a thumbs up. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies