1980 vs other landslides (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:32:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1980 vs other landslides (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1980 vs other landslides  (Read 2215 times)
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« on: September 06, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »

The Moral Majority and NCPAC were major factors in 1980 Senate races.  There was a bumper crop of liberals (George McGovern, Frank Church, Birch Bayh, Gaylord Nelson, and John Culver) who were heavily targeted in states that Reagan won easily.  I think that all of the above candidates ran ahead of the national ticket--Carter ran so poorly in those states.

Meanwhile, in the South, the victories that Reagan won narrowly (except for Florida) carried downticket to pick up Senate seats as well (Denton in Alabama, East in North Carolina, Hawkins in Florida).  Add a surprise in Georgia (Mattingly defeated Talmadge) and you had perhaps a bigger upset on Election Day 1980 than Reagan's landslide win. 

The Republicans winning the Senate that year has to be one of the most unexpected events in recent national elections.  I remember that night--and the first time I was alerted to a potential Republican Senate takeover was when Ronald Reagan talked about it in his victory speech.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies