In case somebody still missed this (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  In case somebody still missed this (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In case somebody still missed this  (Read 2445 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« on: August 30, 2015, 07:46:38 PM »

Gee, if only we had an executive leader who could appoint new cabinet members...

Seriously, though, does Bore even care anymore? Not appointing new cabinet members is simply farcical.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:26:35 PM »

Gee, if only we had an executive leader who could appoint new cabinet members...

Seriously, though, does Bore even care anymore? Not appointing new cabinet members is simply farcical.

If he doesn't care then he should resign and let his successor do the job (seriously, there are two months of his remaining). If, since we can't rule that out, he's tied in his real life, he should post a leave of absence. Otherwise it's just being a dick, whether intentional ot not.

Completely agree. I'm kind of getting the impression that not only he doesn't care, but he actually doesn't want Atlasia to survive (maybe he thinks it's the best way to change the status quo?) and thinks that an absent President will fix things.

What's your opinion on Senator Polnut calling for Bore to either appoint new cabinet members or step down? I, for one, wholeheartedly agree.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 04:41:56 AM »

Hey, if anybody thinks they can do better, especially these cookie-cutter blue/yellow avatar newbies, step up and swing the ol' bat, boys! Let's see some homeruns in this ballpark.

Presumably I'm the yellow newbie? I wouldn't be against running for President, but I'm constitutionally ineligible--I think it's 180 days, and I haven't been around that long.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 05:02:27 AM »

I think everybody just needs to chill the hell out on this one. Cabinet positions have been hard to fill for ages. It seems like for a year or more, we've had at least one cabinet vacancy at any given time. It turns out that people increasingly don't want to make up stories only for the public to scream foul, or carry out day-to-day activities that result in impeachment.

The fact is that we've lost over two dozen citizens in the past couple of months - many of whom were among the active base of the game. It wouldn't surprise me if we have lost a majority of our active players. With that dynamic comes a difficulty in which it is downright impossible to adequately fill all seats with people who are going to give it their best. I'm particularly disappointed in my presidential opponent on this one, who, after entering the game following a long hiatus, has failed to do the proper research into why the game is in such shoddy shape, and take that into account.

This is precisely why I am running for President. We already see all of the side-shows and rampant accusations/witch-hunts over little, trivial things that take our eyes off the bigger prize, as I've warned everybody about already. This ConCon and the reformation of our game in the coming months will be my primary focus as President. We cannot let forget what matters most to the long-term health and survival of the game. Fixing our broken system is much more important than vacant cabinet positions, especially when most haven't been paying attention to their actions (except of course, when they "screw up") for ages.  

I'm not sure why you're defending Bore here. It's not just the cabinet--he's been either silent, borderline-dissolutionist (I mean, he voted for Oakvale...), or simply underwhelming during this whole [crap]storm. And this is the exact time he should be leading. Being an active voice for reform and stability. The cabinet is one example, another is his inaction during the 2-for-1 crisis special where TNF staged a communist coup (his rationale was that the GM hadn't said anything about it, which was blatantly untrue) and Al started arresting people for no reason at all (by the way, are you defending Al in the first paragraph? I hope not.)

And you state that you're disappointed by your presidential opponent--actually, Senator Kalwejt is your presidential opponent in the Labor primaries, and he's been critical of Bore for a while, since back when the President's critics were called "right-wing malcontents" and "dwarfs," and now it's a mainstream opinion (as evidenced by his 8% approval rating in a recent poll).
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »

Bore actually proposed a credible reform plan that was roundly dismissed by said right-wing death dwarves, you know.

He did one thing. That's doesn't excuse his generally poor performance in the last couple months, when he's been needed the most. Politicizing it by attacking his critics as "right-wing death dwarves" is just silly, especially when one of the President's most vocal critics, Senator Kalwejt, is also one of the most prominent left-wing politicians in today's Atlasia.

Here's his plan, by the way:

2 regions with a governor and a legislature of 3 people (which could theoretically be expanded if demand was there)
A senate of 7, two elected from the regions and one at large
A President and Vice President
A Statute reboot and a new constitution
A Supreme Court of 3 people with the associate justices assigned to hear cases in one of the two regions respectively

Regarding the Cabinet I would keep the SOFE and RG as separate but allowing people to hold the office and other ones, abolish the AG (if someone needs to be sued the president can appoint a prosecutor) and the SoIA and SoEA. The GM might or might not exist, but if they did it would just be to act as a very low key God figure.

2 regions? The general consensus is 3, by both the right and left. A senate of 7? Truman and I think some others advocated that before him. A President and VP? We already have that, but it makes sense to include it in his list. Statute reboot? Not original either. New constitution? Already on it. Interesting Supreme Court reform, I'll give him that. And as I explained in that thread, weakening the GM won't help activity. Yes, we need a regulated GM with checks and balances so they can't do stupid stuff, but we need one strong enough to artificially increase activity by simulating NPCs.

I mean, it's an okay plan, but it's not really that major; and he kind of abandoned it, anyway. And it doesn't negate the other valid criticisms me, Kalwejt, Truman, Lumine. and others have made of his performance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies