Could Wallace have done better in KY with Colonel Sanders on the ticket?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:53:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Could Wallace have done better in KY with Colonel Sanders on the ticket?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Wallace have done better in KY with Colonel Sanders on the ticket?  (Read 859 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:26:02 PM »

Apparently there was some talk in 1968 that George Wallace would choose Colonel Sanders as his running mate. The argument was that Wallace had the kook vote sewn up, but Colonel Sanders would bring support from non-kooks.

Wallace placed a distant third in Kentucky, but would he have done better in Kentucky with Colonel Sanders on the ticket? What about other states?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:16:06 PM »

What is up with all the Wallace threads? There's been like 6 in this board just this week. To your question, I think Colonel Sanders would have moderated the ticket compared to Curtis LeMay. Colonel Sanders would have been seen as a southerner who got a big break in business. He may reached 25, or 30% in Kentucky. I think he may have carried TN, NC, + SC, with Sanders on the ticket. Just my thoughts.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »

He may reached 25, or 30% in Kentucky. I think he may have carried TN, NC, + SC, with Sanders on the ticket. Just my thoughts.

With KY but with TN, NC, SC going to Wallace Nixon wins with exactly 270 EV and Wallace wins 77.

I wonder if KY flips to H3 in this scenario, if H3 wins KY then it's 261-200-77 and deadlocked.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 04:43:57 PM »

Your posts about KY are starting to get hilarious and sad.  It's an Appalachian state with a Southern history, and its urban areas are actually pretty darn Republican, though I know this bothers you.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 04:47:09 PM »

Your posts about KY are starting to get hilarious and sad.

I was being serious. There was actually serious talk of putting Colonel Sanders on the ticket.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 05:32:36 PM »

Your posts about KY are starting to get hilarious and sad.

I was being serious. There was actually serious talk of putting Colonel Sanders on the ticket.

But with a huge amount of pride, you distinguished KY from other states Wallace was targeting.  According to Wikipedia, Wallace and Humphrey combined for 70% of the rural vote in the South.  Even with a split, Nixon carried Southern states with a largely suburban/urban voting bloc, and I've yet to see a convincing argument that Wallace took anymore from Nixon than he did from Humphrey...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies