Griff 4 Prez: Set Your Happening Level to "It's" - VICTORY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:22:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Griff 4 Prez: Set Your Happening Level to "It's" - VICTORY
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Griff 4 Prez: Set Your Happening Level to "It's" - VICTORY  (Read 14788 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2015, 01:29:10 AM »
« edited: February 22, 2016, 12:33:41 AM by President Griffin »

I originally planned to make my great announcement the day after the at-large election, thinking I had plenty of time and that no one else would be announcing any time soon. Unfortunately, I was wrong, and it appears that Clarence stole my thunder (even down to the "Make Atlasia Great Again" slogan, which I had planned for quite some time and will not be abandoning)! As such, I waited a few more days until I had the time to sit down and flesh out my thoughts.

In short, I am running for President of Atlasia in October.

There are three simple things that you need to know about me, my candidacy and the future of Atlasia in the coming months. I intend to make this election a referendum on the following three points:

The next four – possibly eight – months will be about one thing – the reformation and rebirth of this game. The fact is that I have been a proponent of needed changes to this game for over two years now. These very same needed changes – once considered highly controversial – have now all but been embraced by vast majorities on the left and right alike. The reality is that policy, ideology and all of the dogma and spergalerg that comes with it has to be put on the back-burner for now. This election should be about one simple thing: who possesses the foresight to see the problems we will face before they become apparent, and who is prepared to bring the experience to the table that is necessary to obliterate the obstacles and implement the necessary reforms.

I am a seasoned, battle-hardened warrior who is reliable. Unfortunately, many of our Presidents over the years have been green behind the ears when it comes to dealing with legislative challenges, political opposition and other difficult issues. This often leads to Presidents beginning their terms with ambitious agendas, only to have their souls crushed within the first month or two, leading to rather depressed and mediocre engagement afterward. The trend has only gotten worse as of late, with barely half of our Presidents even bothering to run for a second term. In contrast, do you know how many times I have had my dreams crushed and shattered in this game? I am tested – I know what failure feels like – and yet here I still stand. You will not have to worry about me losing steam, suddenly disappearing or faltering, because I have been forged and tempered in the pits of fiery failure, and am now immune to such flaws.

I know how to get things done. Very few in the game, past or present, have possessed the ability to grease wheels, unite various factions behind the scenes and make stuff happen like I do. That’s not bragging: it’s just a fact! Even though the reforms I have championed for over two years now have been embraced by a large percentage of the public, there will be controversy and opposition that is more than token when we truly begin to debate the details surrounding reform and rebirth. It will take someone like me – and again, it’s important to emphasize that there are very few people like me – to drive through the necessary reforms, burn the naysayers to the ground and force our agenda through to the very end.

For those who may be skeptical of me, my ideological past or my motives, I offer the following two things to consider:

The next President will be constrained by conservatism no matter what. The Senate (and the game, largely speaking) has never been more dominated by conservatives. We currently have 7 right-leaning Senators. A right-wing registration advantage in the game now exists. At the regional level, conservatives have a clear dominance. In the past, opponents of my party used arguments like “OMG if Labor gets a sixth Senate seat everything will be doomed!”, but there is no coherent or equivalent argument to be lobbed here. Even if there is a “rebound” in the regional Senate races, the Right is likely to continue enjoying a majority in the Senate for the next 6 months. As such, I will be involuntarily constrained by bipartisanship! In addition, any successful reform and rebirth package will take a bipartisan effort in order to pass through all of the obstacles in between us and a better game.

I could have ran for President at any point in the past, with an objectively easier route to the Presidency. I’m not running now because I selfishly covet the Presidency. I am running because I believe Atlasia – now more than ever – needs an experienced, steady, strong-arming hand to lead us out of this crisis. Anyone who really knows me knows that I have never desired to be President for my own personal gain, and if I had, there were plenty of times in the past that I could have used a much stronger Labor Party apparatus to catapult myself into the White House. Yet I didn’t. With an ideological opposition that is stronger than my own, I run only with the purest of intentions, knowing that the route right now is harder than probably at any point since I’ve been in the game.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 01:30:51 AM »

Endorsed.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:54:37 AM »

Endorsed!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 02:46:35 PM »

Cheesy
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:37:44 PM »

Endorsed
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 12:14:42 AM »

Not planning on voting Labor, but I'm glad to see a fellow Georgian enter the race! Good luck, Adam!

Fun fact: both declared candidates are from the same region: the South. I'll take credit for that, if you don't mind...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 02:20:37 AM »

It's Griffin vs. Clarence? O lordy...

Endorsed from beyond the grave.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 03:13:03 AM »

Endorsed!  Cheesy
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 11:35:09 AM »

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 02:46:19 AM »

It's Griffin vs. Clarence? O lordy...

Endorsed from beyond the grave.

Thank you, everyone, for your support!

Not planning on voting Labor, but I'm glad to see a fellow Georgian enter the race! Good luck, Adam!

Fun fact: both declared candidates are from the same region: the South. I'll take credit for that, if you don't mind...

Nobody plans on voting Labor, yet most end up doing so when the time comes around! Wink
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 03:00:37 AM »

GRIFF'S PRELIMINARY REGIONAL CONCON REFORM PLANS:

As a leading proponent of consolidation for over two years, I can't help but toy with the idea of a better and more prosperous Atlasia. I've made no secret of my belief that we need a 3-region system at minimum: 4 regions simply doesn't consolidate enough of the excess at the regional level that currently exacerbates the problems we have been facing in the game for a long time. While perhaps some regionalists will be upset with me for some of the ideas presented below, it should no longer be lost on any of us that at least some basic regulatory process regarding the number of offices should apply uniformly throughout the game's regions. I've put together two ideas for this process (with the first one outlined being my favorite, as it ties the number of legislators to that region's population as a percentage of the game).

In addition, I believe that we should take the opportunity - since we are going into a ConCon anyway - to add additional territory to our game. We are building an entirely new structure for the game: why not bring both our Mexican and Canadian friends into the picture as a united government and economic powerhouse?

I also believe that the notion of Lieutenant Governors are a rather silly concept. While some regions make use of them some of the time, we can explore ways to increase the value of legislative seats at the regional level by allowing them to select successors in the event of vacancies (or otherwise specifying the method in which vacant gubernatorial spots are filled).

Basic Regional Dynamics

• Three regions, built on my CARCA proposal (map #6; the winner of the 2013 CARCA project)
  • New nation includes Canada & Mexico; possibly Caribbean nations as well
  • 1 Governor/Executive per region
  • 1 CJO per region

Max number of regional legislators fixed to federal formula, assessed every 2 months:

Idea #1 (My Favorite Idea)
  • <25% of the game's population = 3 Legislators
  • 25-40% of the game's population = 5 Legislators
  • >40% of the game's population = 3 Legislators

Idea #2
  • 01-39 Citizens = Universal Legislature
  • 40-79 Citizens = 3 Legislators
  • 80+ Citizens = 5 Legislators

Estimated # of Regional Offices = 15
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 10:07:50 PM »

You will not have to worry about me losing steam, suddenly disappearing or faltering, because I have been forged and tempered in the pits of fiery failure, and am now immune to such flaws.

No deleGAtion member is safe from disappearing anymore. Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 10:45:53 PM »

OFFICIAL STATEMENT REGARDING EXPLORATORY COMMITTEE OF FORMER "PRESIDENT" LUMINE

I wholeheartedly condemn the decision by former President Lumine, who was supposedly elected in October 2014, to consider yet another bid for President. We all know how horrible it was last time, and in combination with the fact that he never answered allegations about his baldness and the fact that he refused to face the electorate a second time consecutively, such selfish behavior must be roundly condemned by the Atlasian people unanimously.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 07:44:53 AM »

OFFICIAL STATEMENT REGARDING EXPLORATORY COMMITTEE OF FORMER "PRESIDENT" LUMINE

I wholeheartedly condemn the decision by former President Lumine, who was supposedly elected in October 2014, to consider yet another bid for President. We all know how horrible it was last time, and in combination with the fact that he never answered allegations about his baldness
marokai is literally rick santorum confirmed
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 01:05:10 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 01:21:53 AM by RG Griff »

TIME FOR A NEW NATION - A UNITED NORTH AMERICA

While the second CARCA is underway, I feel it is very important to discuss how Atlasia will interact with the rest of the world.

My original CARCA two years ago produced a superior map, forged from the overall consensus of nearly 20 people. While many of those people have since faded away, I submitted the original CARCA map for consideration in the new CARCA, and as of now, it is on track to be adopted once again out of all of the options. It is clear that I have been at the forefront of forging consensus on what a new, three-region Atlasia will look like, and that my judgement should be trusted in these matters.

It is very common for us to forget about how Marokai and I almost single-handedly added Canada to the game, and it's even more common to forget about it during the map design process (as we did during CARCA both times). As GM, I made sure to update the Wiki to reflect in all major cases that we are in a common market agreement with Canada, by changing the maps to reflect each region (and the nation's) true extent.

It's important to bring this up, because I will not accept a scenario in which Canada is left out of the new game. In fact, I believe it is high-time that we move ahead to maintain not just the territorial technicalities that we have, but to push ahead for a new and united North America under one government in totality. Word through the grapevine says that some cretins are claiming the entirety of a continent to the south of us: can we really afford to allow them to selfishly and rudely claim entire segments of the globe?

Not only should we unite with Canada, but I propose that we also create a new Atlasia that contains (the current) Oceania, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Cuba, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, the Bahamas, Bermuda, US Virgin Islands, Antigua & Barbuda, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Dominica, Saint Vincent & Grenadines, Grenada, & Trinidad & Tobago. In short, I am proposing a complete and total unification of North America (minus most/all of those pesky commonwealths and what not of other countries).

Now, you may look at said map and say, before anything else, "that Red region looks goofy with Ontario included". Well, in part, in order to add further balance to the three-region map, adding as much territory as possible from Canada to the Red region is necessary. Since Ontario is Canada's most populous territory and we hope that many Canadians who play the game will reside in their actual areas, it could help to alleviate some potential under/over-population in the Red/Blue regions. I'm open to debate on that particular point.

What I'm not open to debate on is the idea that we don't need a completely different dynamic for the game. The creation of a North American superstate is but one facet of my comprehensive reform plan, which I will continue to unveil bit-by-bit over the course of this campaign.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 05:59:23 AM »

I can't support that map at all number one we don't have enough citizens to even live in all 50 states Mississippi doesn't have even one of us living there. The map really doesn't make since. We are ATLASIA NOT NORTH AMERICA.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 07:32:22 AM »

I can't support that map at all number one we don't have enough citizens to even live in all 50 states Mississippi doesn't have even one of us living there. The map really doesn't make since. We are ATLASIA NOT NORTH AMERICA.

I have to say I disagree with you here. Mississippi doesn't have Atlasian citizens, but how does that ultimately hurt us? As far as I can tell, there's no function of the game being registered in Mississippi accomplishes that you can't accomplish by having that person live in Georgia, or Oregon, or Jamaica. I mean, I could change my Atlasian residence to Mississippi, but what would that really do, except people putting a different combination of letters next to my name? I'd still be living in the South, which is mainly what matters.

I think this will liven the game up a bit. It's not a silver bullet in itself, obviously, but combined with other reforms it should help at least minorly. And to your argument against it, nothing really says "Atlasia" can't mean "all of North America." I mean, the name of our predecessor (the "United States of America" or something like that) could mean anything--they could've claimed Argentina and the name wouldn't have been any less accurate.

Anyway, I applaud Adam's detailed reform plans. I look forward to seeing him and the other candidates release their own, along with other detailed policies and views.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 08:44:21 PM »

As Leinad said, it doesn't really matter if all of the states are filled, because we currently have many states that are not filled. Only one person in the history of this game has accomplished the filling of all states through a compassion-oriented campaign, and he'll be happy to do so again with the new states as well when he's President.

Also, we are what we want to be. That's the whole point of a ConCon and reform: we get to decide what we want to change, what we want to add, what we want to get rid of, etc etc...
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 08:54:54 PM »

Actually, this might actually be a fairly interesting idea, but I still wonder if it wouldn't be better to aim for a map which... well, looks a bit better. I understand the concept of division by population, but I'd argue that a good number of people don't actually live on their respective states (and we also have to consider those not coming from the USA, still a sizable number).

If you don't mind, where does the bald thing come from? I get being called a warmonger, fascist, Israel loving or hating, moderate hero, opportunistic, antichrist and so on, but I've never really understood where the baldness argument started.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 04:13:59 AM »

If you don't mind, where does the bald thing come from? I get being called a warmonger, fascist, Israel loving or hating, moderate hero, opportunistic, antichrist and so on, but I've never really understood where the baldness argument started.

Wait a minute, if you are a fascist...
Napoleon called you bald
Napoleon didn't survive your regime
You must have killed Napoleon. Tongue
You also must therefore be a sock of Dave, as well as murderor. Tongue 

Seriously, it is just Adam being Adam. I think most would agree that Atlasia was far better off in January than it is now.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 07:45:46 AM »

How much thought did you put into Mexico's division? And are the Mexican states going to be separate--in other words, do you register in a specific one, or simply in Mexico as a whole?

Also, I wonder if some of the leftists who have jumped ship will come back to register in Cuba...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »

Endorsed!
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 11:55:39 AM »

Endorsed
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 01:20:14 PM »

Endorsed.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »

Personally, I'm favour of keeping the U.S. map plus Puerto Rico and minus Canada.
I appreciate your work on this, but I think it would be too confusional and useless.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies